Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Um no, it's only those here illegally, duh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There has been systematic policy changes targeting those who are here legally as well.
How ICE Works to Strip Citizenship from Naturalized Americans

"The denaturalization handbook shows how the federal government pursues denaturalization against naturalized citizens and has instructions on how to prosecute cases efficiently to strip citizenship as quickly as possible."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 11:15 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
He said that Customs took both passports, seemingly at detention; I think it's fairly common for dual-passport holders to use one for entry to the former "home" country and the other on return???
How would they even know that she had a 2nd passport? If she had presented only her US passport to re-enter the US, as required, they would have no way of knowing that she was also a citizen of another country.

Quote:
But good catch on the "s." The fact that she was a dual passport holder, if that's the case, might have increased the likelihood of "selection."
It sounds to me like she herself screwed up at Customs. Dual (or more) citizens should present only only their US passport at US re-entry to avoid this type of confusion.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

"The denaturalization handbook shows how the federal government pursues denaturalization against naturalized citizens and has instructions on how to prosecute cases efficiently to strip citizenship as quickly as possible."
I suspect her 2nd passport was the issue. Naturalized US citizens take an Oath to renounce citizenship in any other country, so the fact that she did not do so would not only make her a target for further INS inquiry, but legally/technically could be cause for revocation of her Naturalization.

The Naturalization Oath:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Old 07-28-2018, 12:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I suspect her 2nd passport was the issue. Naturalized US citizens take an Oath to renounce citizenship in any other country, so the fact that she did not do so would not only make her a target for further INS inquiry, but legally/technically could be cause for revocation of her Naturalization.

The Naturalization Oath:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
Numerous people have dual citizenship and second passports, most of my family including my wife does. There is no law against being a dual citizen in the US. We travel internationally frequently and never had any issues with it.

People often need to have their country of origin passport with them for when they go to that country, due to possible legal things like property managing, legal stuff, etc. Some places like Russia will require it if you are to obtain a visa for visiting there (If you were born in the USSR during a certain time, Russia requires a passport of your country of origin, even if you are a US citizen.)

Old 07-28-2018, 12:19 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'm totally SHOCKED that claiming US Citizenship without papers to prove it is not good enough for Immigration. SHOCKED, SHOCKED - I tell you.
She will be travelling on a US passport. What other kind of papers do YOU carry when you travel abroad?

Old 07-28-2018, 12:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Well...this thread went a predictable direction.
Probably because America is going in a predictable direction!

Old 07-28-2018, 12:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's right. Nobody is legally permitted to leave or enter the United States without a passport and usually also a visa.

Gotta have those documents.
There is no law preventing someone from leaving the US without a passport and visa.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Defending American law from utter contempt of that law is not racism
Somehow somewhere
We decided running a red light was a civil rights issue

Old 07-28-2018, 01:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

The Naturalization Oath:

U.S. citizens live abroad and have duel citizenship ...

Why People Renounce Their U.S Citizenship
Quote:
Abandoning citizenship has serious consequences: You give up the benefits granted to U.S. citizens, including the right to vote in U.S. elections, government protection and assistance while traveling overseas, citizenship for children born abroad, access to federal jobs, and unrestricted travel into and out of the country.
Wasn't a problem before now and it only seems to be a problem in this one. That even after a person three decades back, became naturalized, solemnly swore ... they still get denationalized and deported.

Authorities continue to break laws and people do not care, something is wrong with this picture, it's not in the least bit funny.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Numerous people have dual citizenship and second passports, most of my family including my wife does.
If they've Naturalized, they shouldn't be dual citizens. That violates their Oath of Naturalization. The OP specifically stated the woman in the incident was a Naturalized US citizen

Those who are born to parents of two different nationalities are the exception to that. They acquire both citizenships at birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies