Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:13 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Nothing bad ever comes out of Columbia. I can’t imagine what the US Customs is concerned about.

Yes, I hear there are a lot of "bad hombres" in Columbia, South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:15 PM

10,485 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Considering that numerous cities and states have major heroin epidemics going on right now, Id say customs/border, has been pretty ineffective! Its the consistency that I find incredible, there is never even a reduced trickle in the flow of drugs coming in!!
That's because our own US government is behind it. They use the drug war to frame and blackmail all sorts of people. You think the drugs are coming in with the people who are crossing the border? Heck no, they are coming in on huge ships and planes guarded by our government officials. As long as the FBI have been initiated, we never hear of anything they do in a positive light except when they "stumble" across a huge bundle of drugs. If you really believe this story that they just find these drugs washed up on the shores and plan on disposing the drugs properly, I have an ocean front property in Arizona to sell to you.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:20 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
She just got back from such a visit, flying into San Francisco, and apparently had a very bad experience with immigration. They took her passports and detained her for six hours before allowing her in. I'm not sure about the details, but according to her nothing like this had ever happened to her before and apparently there was no reason for it other than to harass people coming from South America.
That's weird, because as a naturalized American citizen myself there are self-help kiosks where you just scan your passport at the airport. I just walked right through at JFK after scanning my passport at a kiosk, didn't speak with any humans. I think you only deal with immigration officials if you don't have your US passport on you or there are some other circumstances/information regarding your flight.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
I have visited Colombia 5 times...all as a tourist.

I am also a U.S. Citizen with ancestors coming to the USA from Northwestern Europe before the American Revolution. So I am not likely to be mistaken for a Colombian national.

I have never experienced anything like what the OP's friend experienced. But I will say that one time I recall getting grilled a little bit more than usual on my back to the U.S.A. from Colombia.

Six hours of questioning seems nuts based on what the OP has said. Perhaps if the OP gets more details that would shed light on it. Hope the OP will update the thread if more comes to light.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:17 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,987 times
Default In Your Words

A post typed from your own words, my fellow CityDatians, some used more than once, and taken randomly throughout the thread;

Considering that numerous cities and states have major pointless epidemics going on right now, nobody is permitted to leave or enter the United States without problems. People should expect BS flag raised. I hear the parallel could be anything. With racism, and an ICE mentality, government officials knowing nothing important, the direction things are taking isn't the U.S.we grew up with. It's rather strange. How could anyone say your friend, working her entire career at Stanford University, just happened to match the description of a cartel mistress? I can't imagine.
Each year, hundreds of Americans associated with Colombia's drug cartels, guarded by our government officials, stumble across self-help kiosks, where you can scan your drugs on you, at JFK, as long as you're accompanied by a USCIS agent, and two bad hombres.
I will say that Trump seems nuts, and Kim Jong Un needs to be certified weird.and are as helpful as a chocolate teapot. BOTH SIDES POINTLESS.
Protect and secure sanctuary cities, yes you. The unfortunate thing today is taking a stand is unacceptable, because our own U.S. government use the drug war to frame and blackmail all sorts of people.

A Work of Art
Final Draft
AleeGee

Last edited by AleeGee; 07-23-2018 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 03:42 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Default You are going to have to start looking at the bigger picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm going to express my frustration and anger with the direction things are taking. We have a friend who is Colombian, this lady is a naturalized U.S. citizen, she is in her 60s and has been working her entire career at Stanford University. She travels internationally for work occasionally, and she also goes back to visit her family in Colombia once a year.

She just got back from such a visit, flying into San Francisco, and apparently had a very bad experience with immigration. They took her passports and detained her for six hours before allowing her in. I'm not sure about the details, but according to her nothing like this had ever happened to her before and apparently there was no reason for it other than to harass people coming from South America.

This morning she's back at work at Stanford. So, what was the point of immigration giving her a hard time yesterday?

I have to say I'm very disappointed. I'm not alone in thinking that we're headed in a bad direction. This isn't the U.S. we grew up with, is it? I remember growing up, and although there was a lot of racism and issues, there was also a very open-minded melting-pot mentality. We were diversified and we embraced it.

That was then. This is now.
Back in 1980, the United States population was only 226 million. Today it is an estimated 327 million. That is more than 100 million people in less than 40 years. Much of that growth is from immigration.

The US population is supposed to hit 400 million as early as the 2040s, within the lifetime of most of here. What that means to the environment and conservation, the cost of housing, education, traffic, hospitals, crime, food and labor is unknown because there absolutely no planning whatsoever going into it.

I also have friends that are immigrants (even a former girlfriend) and I also seem them as individuals, the vast majority of them who are good people. But you also need to see the bigger picture, it is pure numbers. If we do not guard our borders then we will be increasingly swamped. The people who will suffer will be the Americans of the future.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can we not jump into conclusions without knowing the details?

Could it be possible that a Colombian cartel's wife/mistress is reported to cross the border with something important, and your friend just happened to match the description?
Where is the fun in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...n-11723302.php
Hundreds of American citizens end up in deportation proceedings each year, immigration data shows
There was even a movie about it back in 1987 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092690/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
That's because our own US government is behind it. They use the drug war to frame and blackmail all sorts of people. You think the drugs are coming in with the people who are crossing the border? Heck no, they are coming in on huge ships and planes guarded by our government officials. As long as the FBI have been initiated, we never hear of anything they do in a positive light except when they "stumble" across a huge bundle of drugs. If you really believe this story that they just find these drugs washed up on the shores and plan on disposing the drugs properly, I have an ocean front property in Arizona to sell to you.

Nonsense! There are a lot of drugs coming over our southern border being carried by the drug mules and I don't mean the animal either. They are coming over our border hidden in cars, trucks, etc. also.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:08 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Well...this thread went a predictable direction.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
I was treated very bad at the niagra falls crossing into USA searched my car and kept me in a cinderblock room 45 minutes where they interrogated fellow passengers in front of a group of about 30 fellow passengers theatre style
Humiliated many
At random secondary screening was the justification
This looked like a bunch of people headed for Disneyland being treated like criminals
I did not dare report it as I am a federal retiree and fear of retaliation
I approve of tightening up immigration but travel outside USA is getting unpleasant

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-23-2018 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies