Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:58 PM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Ted Cruz is a born US citizen via at least one of his parents. He's not a former foreign national who then later Naturalized as a US citizen.

Can you all really not understand the difference?
You have to dig a little deeper into the historical past to find that the intent of the Constitutional NBC requirement was to preclude those born foreign citizens/subjects, which includes born dual citizens, from eligibility.

A born dual citizen's legal obligations are compromised. The U.S. State Dept admits this is true TO THIS DAY. I'll provide a quote and link, if necessary.

Imagine a POTUS and Commander in Chief of the U.S. Military befalling the same fate: impressed into service for another country and against the U.S. due to legal obligations recognized as perfectly valid by international law.

THAT'S what the Constitution's natural born citizen requirement was meant to prevent.

For further historical reference, John Jay's letter to George Washington originating the natural born citizen requirement in the Constitution:

"Permit me to hint, whether it would not be wise & seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expressly that the Command in chief of the american army shall not be given to, nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 11:04 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Read my prior post. I noted the exception. It does NOT include Naturalized US citizens, who take an Oath renouncing allegiance to any other country. I posted the Oath, earlier.
Dual Nationality
"Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country."

Old 07-29-2018, 11:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So there's not enough Americans living in urban areas to take any jobs for a fair wage? Where are you getting that nonsense?
Maryland (jobs americans won't do) seafood industry has lost 40% of their workers ... and

Workers wanted: Skilled-labor shortage hinders business boom
Quote:
Small business owners are struggling to find and retain quality employees, a development that’s hindering their ability to invest and grow. A whopping 61 percent of owners we surveyed said they’re experiencing extreme or moderate difficulty finding quality employees to expand their business. The concern is particularly acute in rural areas; however, urban small business owners also cite the lack of skilled employees as a problem.
Do rural residents earn less than workers in urban areas?

"On average, yes."

Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 AM

89,119 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet again, and you are being obtuse, there us no law against having dual citizenship. An oath is not a law
Don't conflate born US citizens with Naturalized US citizens. They're entirely different and have different requirements. The Naturalization Oath IS a requirement for former foreign nationals who wish to obtain Naturalized US citizenship. One cannot be Naturalized without taking the Oath. Naturalized citizens found to be in violation of the terms of citizenship, aka violating their Naturalization Oath, must leave the country. Children granted citizenship based on their parent's status may also lose their citizenship after that parent has been denaturalized.Sorry if you don't like that, but that's the way it is and we FINALLY have an Administration that is actually beginning to enforce the requirements.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
You take the oath when naturalized through marriage.
Which requires one to "entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen"

Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You have to dig a little deeper into the historical past to find that the intent of the Constitutional NBC requirement was to preclude those born foreign citizens/subjects, which includes born dual citizens, from eligibility.
I agree. Cruz is ineligible. So was Obama, having been born a Brit via his father.
Quote:
A born dual citizen's legal obligations are compromised. The U.S. State Dept admits this is true TO THIS DAY. I'll provide a quote and link, if necessary.
True.
Quote:
Imagine a POTUS and Commander in Chief of the U.S. Military befalling the same fate: impressed into service for another country and against the U.S. due to legal obligations recognized as perfectly valid by international law.
You're referring to the UK's repeated impressment of US citizens into their navy which ultimately led to the war of 1812, no?
Quote:
THAT'S what the Constitution's natural born citizen requirement was meant to prevent.

For further historical reference, John Jay's letter to George Washington originating the natural born citizen requirement in the Constitution:

"Permit me to hint, whether it would not be wise & seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expressly that the Command in chief of the american army shall not be given to, nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen."
All true. Where were the Dems when a VERY CLEARLY ineligible Obama was running for POTUS?

Old 07-30-2018, 05:45 AM

10,246 posts, read 6,337,511 times
Quote:
Ted Cruz is a born US citizen via at least one of his parents. He's not a former foreign national who then later Naturalized as a US citizen.

Can you all really not understand the difference?
He had dual citizenship by being born in Canada. I am sure he renounced his Canadian citizenship purely for political reasons. As others on this thread have said, there are a lot of Americans who have duel citizenship. Should they renounce their foreign citizenship? If they don't need to, why should a Naturalized Citizen?

Yes, I know (genealogist) what the oath states , but how can you possibly know what is in the hearts and minds of those taking it? I gave you the example of my Mexican neighbor who wanted to be buried in Mexico. Little late to take away his naturalized citizenship at death.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
He had dual citizenship by being born in Canada. I am sure he renounced his Canadian citizenship purely for political reasons.
Exactly. Meanwhile, Obama never renounced his British citizenship (acquired at birth via his father).
Quote:
As others on this thread have said, there are a lot of Americans who have duel citizenship.
It's dual, not duel.
Quote:
Should they renounce their foreign citizenship?
If they were BORN dual citizens, that's up to them. As close personal friends with those who were born dual citizens via one US citizen parent and one foreign national parent, I can assure you they all knew they would never be eligible for POTUS. Their parents knew such would be true, as well.
Quote:
If they don't need to, why should a Naturalized Citizen?
Because Naturalized citizens have taken an Oath that they have renounced any and all foreign allegiances. I've already posted the Oath.
Quote:
Yes, I know (genealogist) what the oath states , but how can you possibly know what is in the hearts and minds of those taking it?
Violating it is a violation of the requirements of Naturalized citizenship. As in the OP's example... Have and use another country's passport AFTER one has taken the Naturalization Oath? That's how we know.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,846,249 times
Quote:
Don't conflate born US citizens with Naturalized US citizens. They're entirely different and have different requirements. The Naturalization Oath IS a requirement for former foreign nationals who wish to obtain Naturalized US citizenship. One cannot be Naturalized without taking the Oath. Naturalized citizens found to be in violation of the terms of citizenship, aka violating their Naturalization Oath, must leave the country. Children granted citizenship based on their parent's status may also lose their citizenship after that parent has been denaturalized.Sorry if you don't like that, but that's the way it is and we FINALLY have an Administration that is actually beginning to enforce the requirements.
Quote:
Which requires one to "entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen"
Yet again, there is no law against dual citizenship for anyone. You have of yet cite any law that prohibits dual citizenship, I however, have presented the law.

An oath is not a law, I repeat, an oath is not a law. The naturalization oath is not even technically an oath, but a pledge, and it is not legally binding in any sense. The legal issues of a naturalized citizen lays with numerous laws and regulations and court rulings, some of which I have already cited. The legal items which the oath derive state nothing about prohibiting dual citizenship.

Again, you have zero, I mean absolutely zero knowledge and experience in this subject I have no idea why you keep ranting on about a subject you know nothing about, essentially spreading false information.

I challenge you to cite a law that prohibits dual citizenship, again, an oath is not a law, have no idea where you get that the oath (which technically is a pledge since there is no legal basis like a signed affidavit or anything) is legally binding. And even at that, the oath does not state anything that dual citizenship is not allowed. You seem to be confusing the terms "allegiance" with "citizenship", which legally, are two different things, and again, there is no law anywhere in the US that prohibits dual citizenship, I challenge you to find such law.

Last edited by boxus; 07-30-2018 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yet again, there is no law against dual citizenship for anyone.
Violating the terms of Naturalized US citizenship, which requires the Oath including specifically swearing: "I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen," is grounds for revocation of Naturalization.

I don't make the requirements. I just follow them. If you have a problem with the requirements, perhaps you can lobby Congress to change the Naturalization Oath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies