Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 02:33 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
U.S. citizens live abroad and have duel citizenship
Read my prior post. I noted the exception. It does NOT include Naturalized US citizens, who take an Oath renouncing allegiance to any other country. I posted the Oath, earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 02:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If they've Naturalized, they shouldn't be dual citizens. That violates their Oath of Naturalization. The OP specifically stated the woman in the incident was a Naturalized US citizen

Those who are born to parents of two different nationalities are the exception to that. They acquire both citizenships at birth.
Sigh...

Again, there is no law against having dual citizenship. The oath does not state dual citizenship is not allowed. Please find me any law that states dual citizenship is not allowed.

It is clearly obvious you have zero knowledge and experience with this. However, I do...

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

"Section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states that “the term ‘national of the United States’ means (A) a citizen of the United States, or (B) a person who, though not a citizen of the United States, owes permanent allegiance to the United States.” Therefore, U.S. citizens are also U.S. nationals. Non-citizen nationality status refers only individuals who were born either in American Samoa or on Swains Island to parents who are not citizens of the United States. The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a national of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own nationality laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. national parents may be both a U.S. national and a national of the country of birth. Or, an individual having one nationality at birth may naturalize at a later date in another country and become a dual national.

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. However, persons who acquire a foreign nationality after age 18 by applying for it may relinquish their U.S. nationality if they wish to do so. In order to relinquish U.S. nationality by virtue of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign state, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Intent may be shown by the person’s statements and conduct.

Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce its laws. It is important to note the problems attendant to dual nationality. Claims of other countries upon U.S. dual-nationals often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts of the U.S. Government to provide consular protection to them when they are abroad, especially when they are in the country of their second nationality.

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law. "

Old 07-28-2018, 02:57 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sigh...

Again, there is no law against having dual citizenship.

The oath does not state dual citizenship is not allowed. Please find me any law that states dual citizenship is not allowed.
Incorrect in regards to Naturalized US citizens. Keeping their prior nationality violates their Oath of Naturalization. Allegiance: the fidelity owed by a subject or citizen to a sovereign or government.

Violating the Naturalization Oath is indeed grounds for the revocation of Naturalization.

Just because some may have gotten away with it doesn't mean it's OK, same way we we have 11+ million illegal aliens in the US. Just because they're here doesn't mean they're legally present in the US.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Incorrect in regards to Naturalized US citizens. Keeping their prior nationality violates their Oath of Naturalization. Allegiance: the fidelity owed by a subject or citizen to a sovereign or government.

Violating the Naturalization Oath is indeed grounds for the revocation of Naturalization.

Just because some may have gotten away with it doesn't mean it's OK, same way we we have 11+ million illegal aliens in the US. Just because they're here doesn't mean they're legally present in the US.
You have yet provided any law that supports your view, I however have and not only that, live my daily life as such.

At this point, I think you are just being obtuse. You are incorrect, you know it, but will not ever admit despite any evidence demonstrating you are incorrect.

As I said before, it is clearly obvious you have zero knowledge and experience with this, I however have been involved with this for decades, attended many naturalization ceremonies, went through numerous resident visa and citizenship applications.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:45 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
How would they even know that she had a 2nd passport? If she had presented only her US passport to re-enter the US, as required, they would have no way of knowing that she was also a citizen of another country.

It sounds to me like she herself screwed up at Customs. Dual (or more) citizens should present only only their US passport at US re-entry to avoid this type of confusion.
Again, she probably only presented the US passport to the immigration official and/or scanned that passport herself into the kiosk if she was using the free App. Here, she wouldn't have had the option to rescan another passport.

How would they know she had dual citizenship?

They may well have asked she answered truthfully ... but that kind of information almost has to be on her traveler profile.

Depending on the country, international travel these days isn't like going to and from Canada or disembarking from a cruise ship. Increasingly, passports are biometric. Countries that do not have scanners in place at a specific POE and/or that are dealing with a non-biometric passport will type the relevant data into a computer.

She was getting off a direct flight from Colombia (SFO was her POE). Without a doubt in the world, the US and Colombia access common databases or probably work off central ones with information merged.

It's the old drug thing again, if nothing else. The dual passport might have contributed to her being selected into a pool (higher-risk) but this almost certainly was not due to "confusion" that SHE created.

The real question, and why OP started this thread is why it took 6 hours to clear her.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Lots of people I know have dual citizenship

Old 07-28-2018, 04:08 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Lots of people I know have dual citizenship
Googled quickly ... (per State Dept.) Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. ... U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship.

Likewise, Colombia recognizes dual citizenship. Some countries do not. For example, DD lost her Chinese citizenship when she naturalized. Beijing still has what they call "zero tolerance" for dual nationality. For her to even travel to China (on a US passport), to obtain a visa she had to turn in her original Chinese passport to the consulate. They used to confiscate them but now, I think, only stamp them invalid.

So much depends on the countries involved. For example, there must be millions of dual US-Israeli passport holders. That's a popular "combination."

US citizens can even serve in the Israeli Defense Force.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:03 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Sorry for your friend's experience. I suppose this is what happens when you have a president who espouses bullying.

Sounds like she should write a nice editorial article to a major newspaper detailing her experience.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:11 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
I recall flying years ago. Easy as pie. No problems. I guess whoever was president gets the credit. About 5 years ago I flew and had to take off my shoes and belongings in a tray onto a conveyor belt. I had to have a full body scan. I guess who was president 5 years ago gets the blame. Things keep changing. I assume there's good reason even though I may not know what it is. One slip up could be devastating.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:29 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:

My Aunt through marriage was a Naturalized Citizen. My Uncle was an American Citizen. When she gave birth, my cousin got dual citizenship through her. My Cousin was a US Citizen by birth, and by his American Dad. They frequently traveled back to Ireland to see her relatives. Even after she was Naturalized, she retained her Irish Passport. She even got an Irish Passport for my cousin. When they were in Ireland, they used their Irish Passports. When they came back to the States, they used their US Passports. Ireland still considered her a citizen by birth, and my cousin through her, despite her being an American citizen through Naturalization. Did you know that in Ireland you can petition for citizenship if a grandparent was born there, even if you and your parents are Americans?

I think Mexico is the same. Our former neighbor was Naturalized Citizen. His dying wish was to be buried in Mexico near his relatives. If Mexico did not consider him a citizen, how would that be possible? Maybe both these people considered themselves both American and Irish/Mexican? Maybe at least in these two countries Naturalized Americans would have to petition and renounce their foreign citizenship in those countries, not just in America?

Didn't Ted Cruz only recently renounce his Canadian citizenship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies