Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:33 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
That may be the most Republican thing I've ever heard.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
California doing its own thing with cars is taxation without representation. By increasing the manufacturer's cost of production, California is taxing me with higher car prices here in New Jersey. That's illegal and immoral. Trump is doing the right thing on this.
That's an intellectual gymnastic exercise there. If a car maker chooses not to make a different vehicle for CA and other states, that's their own choice. Car makers are not the government and their pricing is not a tax imposed by the government.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
California doing its own thing with cars is taxation without representation. By increasing the manufacturer's cost of production, California is taxing me with higher car prices here in New Jersey. That's illegal and immoral. Trump is doing the right thing on this.
New Jersey can do what it wants. The auto manufacturers can exceed New Jersey's standards if they want to. You'll just have to suffer with clean efficient cars I guess ...

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
I did check the Constitution before posting. There is no right to air of any particular cleanliness.
It's well established by the courts, out of our common law tradition, that no one has a right to cause harm to another. Pollution causes harm.

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
More than anything else it is the large population in that geography. The pollution gets trapped in localized areas at times.
The large population of imported illegal aliens COULD be adversely affecting air quality. But the leftists won't be doin' nuthin' 'bout that.

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
California, a populous state, has less voting power than Wyoming. There is no reason they should not be able to set their own emissions standards and car manufacturers that want to sell into California can decide if it's worth it. They can sell full on polluting cars to Trump country, I truly do not care how black the air is in Trump country.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's well established by the courts, out of our common law tradition, that no one has a right to cause harm to another. Pollution causes harm.
Prove it in a court and collect damages if it's true. Meanwhile, no double regulation. Unless, as someone else said, Californians pay 100% for all the modification to cars required by their state standards. Every red cent. Including every single factory modification and every ounce of engineering labor. And I want proof.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:39 PM

20,466 posts, read 12,392,439 times
i am going to have to admit extreme personal bias.

if it were any other state, I would likely at lease raise an eyebrow.

but we are talking about California. A state that I am nearly to the point of thinking we need to declare martial law in, send in the regular army and take over.

they are utterly out of control and no longer represent a meaningful representation of what a state within the United States should look like.

I am serious about that.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The large population of imported illegal aliens COULD be adversely affecting air quality. But the leftists won't be doin' nuthin' 'bout that.
Your attempt at deflection is noted, even though it contributes nothing to the conversation.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
California, a populous state, has less voting power than Wyoming. There is no reason they should not be able to set their own emissions standards and car manufacturers that want to sell into California can decide if it's worth it. They can sell full on polluting cars to Trump country, I truly do not care how black the air is in Trump country.
Fine, as long as y'all pay 100% of the cost for the manufacturers having to meet these standards. As long as the price I pay for a car is 100% unaffected in any way, shape, or form by the costs of having to produce cars for your market.

No taxation without representation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies