Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:22 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
You know what a wall will do absolutely nothing. They will go around it or under it. If you really cared about stopping illegal immigration you would demand that all the greedy farmers that hire them face stiff penalties. No work no illegal immigrants.
There is no way to stop a person from hiring another person for work and paying them in cash. Illegal aliens are completely under the radar because nobody knows for sure who they are. Cash transactions are completely untraceable.

The only thing that can be done is for ICE and other law enforcement to raid places that are thought to have illegal immigrants. But that has humanitarian and legal issues.

The Wall is the only thing that will stop all but the most determined people from illegally crossing the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 01:15 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
You know what a wall will do absolutely nothing. They will go around it or under it. If you really cared about stopping illegal immigration you would demand that all the greedy farmers that hire them face stiff penalties. No work no illegal immigrants.

Here we go again!!! The good walls have not been tunneled under nor gone around. They have been very effective so how can you say that they do absolutely nothing? How many times do I have to repeat it before you and yours stop spouting this same old nonsense over and over?

Only 2% of illegals are picking crops as most farmers are using the unlimited visas for legal ag workers so you were saying? Most illegal aliens are doing jobs that Americans used to do for a fair wage. Once again, not all illegals are coming here to work. Certainly criminals and terrorists aren't, thus the wall. Unless we stop this PC policy only of deeming their U.S. born kids birthright citizens they will still continue to come for the benefits they will receive through them. How about these greedy employers who pay them cash to work? How do you stop that? No, the wall is definitely needed and those in denial of it are fools.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:22 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Yah. Funny how that is never a " tenet"

Vote Trump and his Party out or we will be living under Trumps Tenets rather than a Constitution.

Its genetic defects and nurturing that produce Dahmer, Manson, Hitler, Bundy and Nixon...and they were no more misunderstood poets than Trump is a victim of other peoples lies about him.

Recently, employers have been convicted of hiring illegal aliens and fined severely so let's not spin the truth, ok?

Your last remark is totally uncalled for. Trump doesn't even begin to compare to those people. Yes, there have been many lies spun about Trump sorry you're not big enough to admit it.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:42 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:

Walls have been proven to be quite effective wherever they have been used. They aren't 100% effective though. Thousands of illegals will go under, over, or through the Wall. But that's a lot better than the hundreds of thousands that walk across an unwalled border in the middle of the night.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:48 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Walls have been proven to be quite effective wherever they have been used. They aren't 100% effective though. Thousands of illegals will go under, over, or through the Wall. But that's a lot better than the hundreds of thousands that walk across an unwalled border in the middle of the night.
Or they just might overstay their visas like 66% of the undocumented migrants that emigrated to the US did in 2017. Or they will take a boat. Or cross the Canadian border. Or go around the wall.

Building a wall will only prevent a small percentage of overall migrants to this country from entering. There are better, cheaper, and more effective ways to stem illegal immigration. The wall is a white elephant.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here we go again!!! The good walls have not been tunneled under nor gone around. They have been very effective so how can you say that they do absolutely nothing? How many times do I have to repeat it before you and yours stop spouting this same old nonsense over and over?

Here's my rule of thumb - whenever the targets of a proposed measure are whining loudly about how the measure will be ineffective, you know it will be very effective. Illegals and their advocates are adamantly opposed to a wall because they know it will work very well. If they truly believed the wall would be ineffective they would be cheering it on.

Show me someone opposed to the wall and I'll show you someone supportive of illegal immigration. The same people who oppose the wall are the same people who oppose troops on the border, detention of illegals, and expedited removal.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:50 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Here's my rule of thumb - whenever the targets of a proposed measure are whining loudly about how the measure will be ineffective, you know it will be very effective. Illegals and their advocates are adamantly opposed to a wall because they know it will work very well. If they truly believed the wall would be ineffective they would be cheering it on.

Show me someone opposed to the wall and I'll show you someone supportive of illegal immigration. The same people who oppose the wall are the same people who oppose troops on the border, detention of illegals, and expedited removal.
I'm not supportive of illegal immigration. I'm supportive about not wasting tax dollars on boondoggle projects when there are better alternatives.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm not supportive of illegal immigration. I'm supportive about not wasting tax dollars on boondoggle projects when there are better alternatives.

So you support Trump's zero tolerance policies, charging illegal entrants criminally, holding illegals in detention until their hearings, and expedited removal of illegals caught in the interior?

It seems 4 out of 5 Dems will pay lip service to opposing illegal immigration yet will oppose any effective measures to stop it.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
So you support Trump's zero tolerance policies, charging illegal entrants criminally, holding illegals in detention until their hearings, and expedited removal of illegals caught in the interior?

It seems 4 out of 5 Dems will pay lip service to opposing illegal immigration yet will oppose any effective measures to stop it.
Those things do not fix anything. All they do is run up the bill. The problem is 11 million illegals. Get that straightened out and we can get to some rational enforcement strategy. I would like to see all immigration cleared in 6 months or less. And the southern border is now a lesser problem than over stayers.

Most of the OP points have nothing to do with security. Family versus merit is a good issue - needs some compromise moving it toward merit. The lottery is also small potatoes and is a good pressure reliever.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:21 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:

I'm good with all that except the criminal charges, as that entitles them to further rights, and backlogs an already overcrowded justice system and has excessive costs. I'm all for a fast track immigration court instead. Also the wall is a horrible idea mostly because of the cost. Name a government program that hasn't had massive over-runs. So you're looking at probably $50B by the time it's all done for.

We need immigration reform, a merit based system that is simple and efficient, and a smoother asylum refugee system that doesn't permit massive abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies