Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,853 times

Advertisements

1. Spirit, by whatever name, exists.

2. Spirit, although existing "out there," is found "in here," or revealed within to the open heart and mind.

3. Most of us don't realize this Spirit within, however, because we are living in a world of sin, separation, or duality-that is, we are living in a fallen, illusory, or fragmented state.

4. There is a way out of this fallen state (of sin or illusion or disharmony), there is a Path to our liberation.

5. If we follow this Path to its conclusion, the result is a Rebirth or Enlightenment, a direct experience of Spirit within and without, a Supreme Liberation, which

6. marks the end of sin and suffering, and

7. manifests in social action of mercy and compassion on behalf of all sentient beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
8) All other faiths are trash and unworthy.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:16 PM

lol.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Theliberalvoice again.

But seriously, I think the need to transcend our earthly forms and believe and follow a higher power who is in control is something that's inherently human. I don't understand that why others can't see that. If all different walks of life, from different cultures create a religion where the major values are all the same as all the other religions, how cannot religion NOT be inherently human-made. You don't even have to give up your religious belief to agree with that thought, if you believe in God, it would make sense that He would make human beings who all believed in Him in one way or another.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:22 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
But seriously, I think the need to transcend our earthly forms and believe and follow a higher power who is in control is something that's inherently human.
So what, we Gnostics who understand that the creators hates us all and watches us suffer for his torment and the true deity is not in control aren't human?

Quote:
I don't understand that why others can't see that. If all different walks of life, from different cultures create a religion where the major values are all the same as all the other religions, how cannot religion NOT be inherently human-made.
Simple answer: Universalism. If one culture came up with the notion 2+2=4 and another also came up with 2+2=4 and yet ANOTHER also came up with 2+2=4...then what, is math man made, or is it all the same because it is all the same no matter what?

As Joseph Campbell once said: "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble."

Quote:
You don't even have to give up your religious belief to agree with that thought, if you believe in God, it would make sense that He would make human beings who all believed in Him in one way or another.
Exactly...most human beings believe in him, but only the Gnostics hate him the way he deserves to be hated

Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
8) All other faiths are trash and unworthy.

9) Unless the religion is Universalism, Hinduism, Wicca, Buddhism, Religio-Romano, Asatru, or tribal religions.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
9) Unless the religion is Universalism, Hinduism, Wicca, Buddhism, Religio-Romano, Asatru, or tribal religions.
You really don't see buddhism and hinduism as prescribing to the tenets above?

as far as the others, that's why I quantified the thread title as "major" religions

Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
1. Spirit, by whatever name, exists.
That I agree with.

Quote:
2. Spirit, although existing "out there," is found "in here," or revealed within to the open heart and mind.
Not quite. Buddhism teaches that, for the most part, we are deity ourselves.

Quote:
3. Most of us don't realize this Spirit within, however, because we are living in a world of sin, separation, or duality-that is, we are living in a fallen, illusory, or fragmented state.
Gnosticism teaches that the state IS existince in and of it's self.

Quote:
4. There is a way out of this fallen state (of sin or illusion or disharmony), there is a Path to our liberation.
That much I agree with...except maybe for Taoism, which teaches that the world IS the only truth and all the practices there in are about living in the world as it is, and the same could be said about Wicca and most animistic religions, as well as all forms of Satanism.

Quote:
5. If we follow this Path to its conclusion, the result is a Rebirth or Enlightenment, a direct experience of Spirit within and without, a Supreme Liberation, which
For the most part, yes.

Quote:
6. marks the end of sin and suffering, and

7. manifests in social action of mercy and compassion on behalf of all sentient beings.
Taoism makes it clear that universal love and compassion are a waste of time, same with Satanism, while Wiccans believe that it is not about compassion as much as it is not harming others on purpose.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
You really don't see buddhism and hinduism as prescribing to the tenets above?

as far as the others, that's why I quantified the thread title as "major" religions

I was responding to theliberalvoice. Also, Asatru and religo-Romano WERE once major religions...

Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Simple answer: Universalism. If one culture came up with the notion 2+2=4 and another also came up with 2+2=4 and yet ANOTHER also came up with 2+2=4...then what, is math man made, or is it all the same because it is all the same no matter what?
hey, I'm fine with that. In that case, I think religions should quit fighting one another.

Quote:
As Joseph Campbell once said: "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble."
Agreed.

Also, I think you might find my other thread interesting: //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ml#post8942477

Old 05-22-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
That I agree with.

Not quite. Buddhism teaches that, for the most part, we are deity ourselves.

Gnosticism teaches that the state IS existince in and of it's self.

That much I agree with...except maybe for Taoism, which teaches that the world IS the only truth and all the practices there in are about living in the world as it is, and the same could be said about Wicca and most animistic religions, as well as all forms of Satanism.

For the most part, yes.

Taoism makes it clear that universal love and compassion are a waste of time, same with Satanism, while Wiccans believe that it is not about compassion as much as it is not harming others on purpose.
ok, ok, ok, but all these little things aside, most of the major religions have those 7 tenets in common.

And I disagree about the Tao saying the World is the only truth, I interpret the "Tao" differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality