Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
What about Jews? There are lots of Jewish lawyers and judges. Way out of the share of the population.

I think it's because both religions, Catholic and Jewish, are very law intensive. Rules of behavior, of how to be with others, how to live your life, how to dress, how to worship, what to eat and when, are ingrained very deeply in both.

Early and continual exposure to religious law leads Catholics and Jews to live their laws as naturally as breathing air. Both religions also incorporate formal religious training of their young as part of their education.

Protestants, by contrast, have no such early familiarity with a law. They don't even have a law to be familiar with compared to the others. The Ten Commandments is good enough and all they need to get on with life.
I hadn’t thought of that.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:56 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Soon the right wing of Supreme Court will be composed of four Catholics and one lapsed Catholic. Previously it was composed of five Catholics. If Ginsburg is replaced by Trump, her replacement will most likely be Amy Barrett, a Catholic.

I think it is due to Catholic prep schools being the "last man standing" of the old prep school culture that trained conservatives for roles in law.

I think JFK started it, being Catholic and all.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:03 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Soon the right wing of Supreme Court will be composed of four Catholics and one lapsed Catholic. Previously it was composed of five Catholics. If Ginsburg is replaced by Trump, her replacement will most likely be Amy Barrett, a Catholic.

I think it is due to Catholic prep schools being the "last man standing" of the old prep school culture that trained conservatives for roles in law
High Protestantism, which is where many of the elite have come from traditionally, has given way to SJWism. Feelings are now more important than logic and rigor. While Catholics can be liberals too they still adhere to traditional teaching methods and of course take a dim view of gay marriage and abortions. Things that are now heartily endorsed by High Protestantism.

I was a groomsmen at a wedding this spring that was held at a tony Methodist church. In the waiting area there were pics of church people celebrating gay pride at some gay parade. Now one can be tolerant of homosexuality but for a church to be actively marching in a gay parade is a sign of a severe departure from Scripture.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
High Protestantism, which is where many of the elite have come from traditionally, has given way to SJWism. Feelings are now more important than logic and rigor. While Catholics can be liberals too they still adhere to traditional teaching methods and of course take a dim view of gay marriage and abortions. Things that are now heartily endorsed by High Protestantism.

I was a groomsmen at a wedding this spring that was held at a tony Methodist church. In the waiting area there were pics of church people celebrating gay pride at some gay parade. Now one can be tolerant of homosexuality but for a church to be actively marching in a gay parade is a sign of a severe departure from Scripture.
That might be Anglican and Presbyterian but it isn't Lutheran. Lutheranism never had hierarchy. It was and is as Luther said, "Every man a priest."

Catholicism is very hierarchical, as everyone knows. And so are the courts. This might also help explain why Catholics seem to gravitate towards the law.

I don't think Judaism is particularly hierarchical but it does have some, particularly in Israel. But it most certainly does have the law. There are various schisms within Judaism that in other religions would lead to rupture. The orthodox and ultra-orthodox would certainly separate from the reform sects if they were of another religion. But as long as they believe in the one, true God they are all still Jewish. And they all are Jewish people despite their differing religious practices.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:

I think it is due to Catholic prep schools being the "last man standing" of the old prep school culture that trained conservatives for roles in law.
Pretty much spot on. Being an Ivy Leaguer and Catholic appears to be two important tickets to punch.

Also noteworthy is that the court’s liberal wing is mostly Jewish. So in essence, the court’s makeup of Jews and Catholics points to another phenomenon....if you want a spot on the SCOTUS, being from the East Coast helps a whole lot. If I’m not mistaken, only Breyer and Thomas are non East Coasters, but one is Jewish and the other is Catholic.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:

I think they are easier to confirm than evangelical Protestants.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:

Lol...I think you’re taking a pollyanish view of the Catholic Church. Like you, I was raised in the CC, but it’s nowhere near the same church that it was during my youth when it was heavily buttoned up and conservative. Especially not under THIS papacy.

One noteworthy thing is that Roberts and Alito weren’t appointed because they’re social conservatives. Those guys are huge pro-big business/anti regulation guys. Alito in particular is also a huge fan of enhanced Executive Branch power.

Judge Napolitano was Alito’s roomate at Princeton. Interestingly enough, he said that although Alito is a close friend, he would not have voted to confirm him based on Alito’s love for strong Executive Branch power and his belief in the rights of corporations over the rights of individuals.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:52 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:

And depending on which cherries you choose to pick from scripture, so is turning away people in need.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:

I didn't know this Catholic right wingers are more moderate than the Evangelicals(who actual believe in a literal interpretation of the bible) so if it has to be a religious right winger Catholics are the better option.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...I think you’re taking a pollyanish view of the Catholic Church. Like you, I was raised in the CC, but it’s nowhere near the same church that it was during my youth when it was heavily buttoned up and conservative. Especially not under THIS papacy.

One noteworthy thing is that Roberts and Alito weren’t appointed because they’re social conservatives. Those guys are huge pro-big business/anti regulation guys. Alito in particular is also a huge fan of enhanced Executive Branch power.

Judge Napolitano was Alito’s roomate at Princeton. Interestingly enough, he said that although Alito is a close friend, he would not have voted to confirm him based on Alito’s love for strong Executive Branch power and his belief in the rights of corporations over the rights of individuals.
Don't get me started on Pope Francis. Still it's still more conservative than High Protestant churches are today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.