Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't get me started on Pope Francis. Still it's still more conservative than High Protestant churches are today.
Lol...what’s your beef with this papacy?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:51 PM

23,978 posts, read 15,086,618 times
The 114th Congress is 1/3 Catholic.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Is it time for the religious infighting to begin already? Damn, time flies.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:43 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Soon the right wing of Supreme Court will be composed of four Catholics and one lapsed Catholic. Previously it was composed of five Catholics. If Ginsburg is replaced by Trump, her replacement will most likely be Amy Barrett, a Catholic.

I think it is due to Catholic prep schools being the "last man standing" of the old prep school culture that trained conservatives for roles in law.
It is no secret that Catholics believe in a good education.

But let this be perfectly clear, Catholic Social Teaching, over years of teaching by the Popes and other great spiritual leaders of that tradition, does not endorse Republican policies. If these nominees are unreservedly supporting big business and allowing the powerful to screw the working people, they didn't learn it as Catholic students, but entirely on their own. Similar to Paul Ryan. Some of these people were asleep when the lessons turned to the seven deadly sins.

The only place one would find Catholic Social Teaching match the Republican platform is on the matter of the sanctity of life before birth. It's a big deal.

If liberal Democrats were to recognize that the yet to be born are vulnerable people in need of protection, their cause would be just about ideal.
Attached Thumbnails
How did Catholics come to dominate conservative jurisprudence?-peace-justice.png   How did Catholics come to dominate conservative jurisprudence?-catholic-social-doctrine.png  

Old 08-02-2018, 03:52 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Soon the right wing of Supreme Court will be composed of four Catholics and one lapsed Catholic. Previously it was composed of five Catholics. If Ginsburg is replaced by Trump, her replacement will most likely be Amy Barrett, a Catholic.

I think it is due to Catholic prep schools being the "last man standing" of the old prep school culture that trained conservatives for roles in law.

Because they are the only religion (at least on paper) that is anti-abortion *and* produce enough numbers that have undergraduate and or JD from Ivy League/tier I law schools.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pretty much spot on. Being an Ivy Leaguer and Catholic appears to be two important tickets to punch.

Also noteworthy is that the court’s liberal wing is mostly Jewish. So in essence, the court’s makeup of Jews and Catholics points to another phenomenon....if you want a spot on the SCOTUS, being from the East Coast helps a whole lot. If I’m not mistaken, only Breyer and Thomas are non East Coasters, but one is Jewish and the other is Catholic.
Gorsuch is from Colorado, but he went to Harvard Law School. Most justices went to the same half-dozen or so law schools, none of which are the U of Colorado or the U of Denver.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:

No school system has produced more atheists, agnostics, and heretics that Catholic Prep schools. I know the one I went to produced several.

I think it has more to do with the way you’re raised. If your family is devout chances are you will be devout as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I didn't know this Catholic right wingers are more moderate than the Evangelicals(who actual believe in a literal interpretation of the bible) so if it has to be a religious right winger Catholics are the better option.
The Evangelicals pick and choose what’s convenient for them. They prey, not pray, on the poorly educated.

A well educated Catholic will call BS when he/she sees it.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Don't get me started on Pope Francis. Still it's still more conservative than High Protestant churches are today.
If you’re waiting for the Roman Catholic Church to accept things like homosexuality you’re wasting your time.

It won’t happen in our lifetime and beyond. The RCC is not like the Epscopal Church.

Deep down, Pope Francis is a peronista which is hardly conservative.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:30 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
High Protestantism, which is where many of the elite have come from traditionally, has given way to SJWism. Feelings are now more important than logic and rigor. While Catholics can be liberals too they still adhere to traditional teaching methods and of course take a dim view of gay marriage and abortions. Things that are now heartily endorsed by High Protestantism.

I was a groomsmen at a wedding this spring that was held at a tony Methodist church. In the waiting area there were pics of church people celebrating gay pride at some gay parade. Now one can be tolerant of homosexuality but for a church to be actively marching in a gay parade is a sign of a severe departure from Scripture.
Catholics in politics have a tendency not to mix their personal beliefs of what's right and wrong with our laws and Constitution which includes JFK along with his brothers. Others in politics today would be Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden both Catholic and both pro abortion and both pro gay marriage.
Catholics are not bible thumpers like Evangelicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies