Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:39 PM

10,485 posts, read 4,048,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Trump cannot do away with H1B program as it’s legislated law, he can however suspend the program pending a thorough investigation.

The L1 does have fraud especially the L1B category specialized knowledge. But L1 falls under NAFTA.
I swear, everyone involved with NAFTA had the main goal of destroying the United States.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
This baffles me, it's not only bad for the US economy but politically stupid on Trump's part. Americans need those jobs to keep up with all the rising costs of living in US cities, how the hell are Americans supposed to afford college, basic health care, housing, even food when the best jobs, in skilled areas like tech, are being just given away like that? And how are college kids supposed to pay off student loans? No wonder the US birthrate keeps crashing down, no one can afford to have families. Plus, why would Americans even bother to study STEM now if fewer and fewer jobs are available, and at lower wages? STEM majors are hard work, so who's going to go through that, and wrack up so much college debt if jobs not there?

I thought Trump was at least smart politically but maybe he really is dumb as a rock politically. This is the one campaign promise he really had to keep, and if he's dumb enough to go back on it, his whole base will stay home in November this year and 2020. Protecting American jobs from stupidity like this is the only reason most people voted for him and it's the only rallying cry of his base. Without protecting US jobs, Trump has nothing to offer, and what he's doing here stinks of near treason for allowing this. What you're describing sounds like against the law so Trump could easily stop it, maybe he has people in his administration who aren't fully committed to the task but voters in November really aren't going to care for that as excuse, esp. when Americans are already starting to hurt from the tariffs. I'd say because of this alone, we have a Blue Wave coming in 2018 and 2020, unless Trump wises up and basically imposes a big moratorium on the H-1B, like the travel ban. Much needed.
I spent my entire career in IT, and it was sad to see it get taken over by the Indians, and I knew many people who supporter Trump ONLY because he promised to do something about it. You can imagine how they feel now that Trump is actually making it worse.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Trump cannot do away with H1B program as it’s legislated law, he can however suspend the program pending a thorough investigation.

The L1 does have fraud especially the L1B category specialized knowledge. But L1 falls under NAFTA.
Trump did away with Congress authority to regulate trade, so why not this?

Why do you say L1-Visa is NAFTA related?

Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I spent my entire career in IT, and it was sad to see it get taken over by the Indians, and I knew many people who supporter Trump ONLY because he promised to do something about it. You can imagine how they feel now that Trump is actually making it worse.
He is making it worse for Indians. The effect of his actions will be seen down the line, and not immediately.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:43 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
He is making it worse for Indians. The effect of his actions will be seen down the line, and not immediately.

Outsourcing Business Model will change in my opinion as it becomes difficult to extend or to get new H-1B visas.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Sure don't look like it. Now even their spouses can work.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
L1 has nothing to do with NAFTA. A TN visa does. In all honesty, you should be supporting TN's. They are not dual intent visas. Unlike an H or L, there is no path to green card on a TN, it's just a perpetually renewable visa for specific jobs that are in short supply in the US and require the applicant to have a valid job offer to get the visa.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Outsourcing Business Model will change in my opinion as it becomes difficult to extend or to get new H-1B visas.
It will move to more offshoring and less "onshored outsource".

Old 08-06-2018, 12:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Back in the '90's my husband's friend worked at IBM. He and others had to train some Tech Support people from India. After a weeks these employees were given pink slips and the India workers were hired. Not contractors.

However, they went back to India and worked from there. What visas did they need? How do you close this kind of loophole? Have you ever called Tech Support, or for that matter, any Call Center? In this line of work employees do not need to be physically present in the USA.

I don't think you understand the kind of work the typical H-1B does in the United States. If you can remote the whole operation to India, you don't need H-1B workers. In my product development-oriented tech companies, we mostly used H-1B to perform repetitive task QA. The lab costs millions. You're not going to set up a parallel lab in Bangalore. Most H-1B is doing basic IT. Big chunks of that can't be done remotely because you physically have to put your hands on the hardware. You can't resolve "my mouse doesn't work" or "I can't get on the network" remotely from Bangalore.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:37 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
L1 has nothing to do with NAFTA. A TN visa does. In all honesty, you should be supporting TN's. They are not dual intent visas. Unlike an H or L, there is no path to green card on a TN, it's just a perpetually renewable visa for specific jobs that are in short supply in the US and require the applicant to have a valid job offer to get the visa.

I worked for a couple of Taiwanese companies and a Korean company. L1 visas at those companies were fairly heavily abused. As soon as they got the L1 up to speed, they laid off the US citizen employee. The L1 is working for pennies on the dollar and is living in a shared corporate apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies