Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

President Trump has been in office just over 1.5 years, so it's time to step back and admire some of his accomplishments. These are my top five.

1)Justice Neil Gorsuch. He is set to be a fine justice for decades.
1a) Recently we got the Janus decision, which IMO could prove to be an earthquake re the problems of public sector unionism. I wanted the Congress to address this, but as with most of the rest of my wish list, they didn't. But Trump, at least indirectly, did.

2)Brett Kavanaugh. I would have preferred, as Ben Shapiro recommended, Amy Barrett. But Trump knew that time was of the essence, so he went with the easier-to-confirm choice. It was a sound tactical move.

3)The 2017 tax cuts. Quoth Nobel Laureate Milton Friedman: “I am favor of cutting taxes under any circumstances and for any excuse, for any reason, whenever it's possible.” We can argue about whether the cuts gave us 4.1% GDP growth, but they certainly don't seem to have hurt.
3a)Part of the package restricted the deduction of state & local taxes from federal income taxes. This was a scam that allowed high tax states such as NY and CAL to foist their sky-high taxes off onto the other states. Trump put an end to that. And for once the Congress actually acted on a wish-list item of mine.

4)Cutting the bureaucracy. A quote from the WAPO link:

Quote:
"Morale has never been lower," said Tony Reardon, president of the National Treasury Employees Union, which represents 150,000 federal workers at more than 30 agencies. "Government is making itself a lot less attractive as an employer."
Good! Get some of those 150,000(!) into the private sector, and keep the economic growth going!

5)Moving the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Clinton and W. Bush talked about it; Trump did it. Trump has registered a 59% favorable rating among Jewish Israelis--a bit of an inconvenient factoid for those liberals who insist that he is a 'white supremacist.' Aren't 99.9% of white supremacists anti-Semites? Maybe some other quarters harbor anti-Semites. It sure ain't Trump.

Last edited by wutitiz; 08-02-2018 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,122,326 times
You forgot a few :

1.) Signing not one, but TWO gun-control bills.

First he violated the property rights of millions of gun owners by unilaterally banning bump stocks. The most common defense of this from Trump supporters is that they are useless. That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that ALL gun laws are infringements.

Next, he signed the omnibus (which I'll get to later), which contains the insidious Fix NICS, which greatly strengthens background checks and gives the government more power to determine who's mentally ill.

2.) Signing the largest spending bill in American history--the $1.3 trillion omnibus.

This bill not only fully funds Planned Parenthood, it also funds border walls in Jordan, Tunisia, and Egypt. It also funds Argentinian clown colleges, among many other things.

3.) Has added $1.2 trillion to the debt in 18 months. Self-explanatory.

4.) His budget will add $1 trillion to the deficit each year for the next 10 years. Also self-explanatory.

5.) Started a trade war, which is the epitome of Soviet-style central planning, especially with the $12 billion stolen from American taxpayers to bail out farmers.

You know I'm not a leftist liberal, so don't even try to accuse me of being one. Donald Trump, however, has outed himself of being the leftist liberal he has always been his entire life.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:12 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Only five great accomplishments? How does that number compare to his failures?

Old 08-02-2018, 04:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
You forgot a few :

5.) Started a trade war, which is the epitome of Soviet-style central planning, especially with the $12 billion stolen from American taxpayers to bail out farmers.

You know I'm not a leftist liberal, so don't even try to accuse me of being one. Donald Trump, however, has outed himself of being the leftist liberal he has always been his entire life.

I will respond to your (5). One big reason I did not vote for Trump was fear of him starting a trade war. Historically, trade wars have often precipitated shooting wars. The American Revolution, WWI, and WWII are all examples.

But the jury is still out on Trump's trade war. I heard even Stephen Moore, free-trader extraordinaire, say that Trump's strategy may work out in the end. If Trump can get other countries to reduce tariffs on American exports by reducing tariffs on their exports to America, the US economy will benefit in the end. There are already indications that Trump may be able to pull this off. The jury is still out here.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/25/polit...ade/index.html

First you complain that you don't want to be accused of being a leftist liberal when nobody said that. Then you turn around and do to Trump exactly what you complained about!

Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Agree with OP list 100%.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I will respond to your (5). One big reason I did not vote for Trump was fear of him starting a trade war. Historically, trade wars have often precipitated shooting wars. The American Revolution, WWI, and WWII are all examples.

But the jury is still out on Trump's trade war. I heard even Stephen Moore, free-trader extraordinaire, say that Trump's strategy may work out in the end. If Trump can get other countries to reduce tariffs on American exports by reducing tariffs on their exports to America, the US economy will benefit in the end. There are already indications that Trump may be able to pull this off. The jury is still out here.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/25/polit...ade/index.html

First you complain that you don't want to be accused of being a leftist liberal when nobody said that. Then you turn around and do to Trump exactly what you complained about!
Because Trump's policies ARE leftist--gun control, big government/spending, and a State-managed economy.

I tend believe these guys when it comes to economics:

https://mises.org/wire/tariffs-steal...eneurs-profits

https://www.creators.com/read/walter...es-in-the-foot

Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agree with OP list 100%.
What about his gun-grabbing?

Old 08-02-2018, 04:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
What about his gun-grabbing?
"I don't like bump stocks anyway."

Old 08-02-2018, 04:47 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
He deserves a Nobel Prize just for keeping the Hildebeast out of the oval office. Anything else he does is icing on the cake now.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:00 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Can anyone show me the ban on bump stocks? Not the probability, not the thought.....but the actual ban.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies