Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times

Advertisements

Although I have by no means ruled out the possibility of global warming, I believe cell phones are a much larger imminent threat to humans than the former. Certainly many laugh at news articles that state you can get tumors from phones. I think they are a reality. Which do you think is more dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
I don't know about tumors, but I definitely believe that cell phones stimulate the growth of pretentiousness.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
I would personally be more afraid of living near a cell phone tower as they tend to be more near earth (as opposed to radio and tv) and emit fairly substantial RF radiation. While in low dosages that the government claims is safe, I would wonder if it isn't like getting an Xray at the doctor which is safe and why the nurse is wearing LEAD aprons behind lead shielding.

Long term exposure to RF is something that probably warrants more study as humans in developed countries are bombarded by it daily and constantly. TV, radio, cell phones, two-way communications, short wave, microwaves, and a host of other, "waves" that are constantly passing through your body.

Who knows, maybe this will cause human skin to thicken and people won't be so sensitive to basically everything and anything (PC)

Here is a rather in depth article that you may wish to read on this subject. I found it informative albeit rather alarmist.

The Radiation Poisoning Of America

Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
I will only go by the advice of my personal physician, who said only use a cell phone with an earpiece. He also said stay away from the Bluetooth Cell Phone Headsets.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I will only go by the advice of my personal physician, who said only use a cell phone with an earpiece. He also said stay away from the Bluetooth Cell Phone Headsets.
Well, I'm doomed then. I would like to make it known now that I want my brains used to tan some rabbit skins I was going to make into winter house slippers.

I believe bluetooth is 2.4 gHz or the same frequency as many cordless phones. (may be 5.8, can't remember) So it would be interesting to see some data on these as they are becoming more and more pervasive today. I would not even own a cell if it weren't for bluetooth since my signal is so poor out here in the boonies.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
This study, by Dr Vini Khurana, is the most devastating indictment yet published of the cell phone health risks. Professor Khurana, a top neurosurgeon who has received 14 awards over the past 16 years and has published more than three dozen scientific papers, reviewed more than 100 studies on the effects of mobile phones. He has put the results on a brain surgery website, and a paper based on the research is currently being peer-reviewed for publication in a scientific journal.

It draws on growing evidence – exclusively reported in the IoS in October – that using handsets for 10 years or more can double the risk of brain cancer. Cancers take at least a decade to develop, invalidating official safety assurances based on earlier studies which included few, if any, people who had used the phones for that long.

Mobile phones 'more dangerous than smoking' - Health News, Health & Wellbeing - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/mobile-phones-more-dangerous-than-smoking-or-asbestos-802602.html?r=RSS - broken link)

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-31-2008 at 11:50 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM

I found this interesting bit on the use of bluetooth devices and RF. Seems to be the work of an undergrad but still worthy information.

Bluetooth and Health: The Radiation Issues

Quote:
Fortunately, the transmitting power is far too weak to result in perceptible effects in humans. Moreover, the radiation is not concentrated in a single beam; rather, it is randomly dispersed in all directions. The penetration depth of a device working in the 2.4Ghz frequency range is about 1.5cm - nothing more than a superficial absorption. The principal absorption mechanism is field-induced rotation of polar molecules (H2O for example) which generates heat through molecular 'friction'. It is however important to note that 2450Mhz is not a resonance frequency of water.
Quote:
However, this assurance is not the same as saying that prolonged exposure to the Bluetooth RF will not produce negative effects in people. If Bluetooth becomes a truly ubiquitous technology, those of us living in cities and working in offices will presumably be exposed 24/7. This may not be a good thing.

Long exposure to strong fields results in some individuals becoming hypersensitive so that after a few years, they can no longer tolerate being near such fields. Bluetooth fits into a general development pattern where antennas for GSM transmission and other sources of electromagnetic radiation become more and more prevalent in our cities. The future will show whether this is a healthy development.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,433,555 times
Resistance is futile. I think we should all get brain implants with which to communicate and dress ourselves in space suits to protect ourselves from the rapidly deteriorating environment.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
Don't cell phones use non-ionizing radiation?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
All I know is, the more you use a cell phone, the more your head is full of mush. It has nothing to do with radiation. How did I ever live to this age without constant contact with everybody? I see younger folks walking around with either the phone or the bluetooth growing on their ear. Some of them look like they just want others to think they are so important, they must be available by phone at all times.

I prefer to be unavailable - by phone or anything else - most of the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies