Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For starters you would hijack the DNS, this would at the very least slow access down. You could block the IP's.
If you had every EU ISP ready to implement some EU government strategy, sure. But that's not really the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:01 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is was on my public laptop using a hotspot. I also carry a business laptop which either connects to my US server or my server in UAE and then goes out to connect globally from those points. I just never expected to hit a wall reading US based MSM websites in Europe. I didn't have this issue in Africa or the Middle East with my public laptop (clean Windows, links are on thumb drive).
Public hotspot provided by whom? The hotspot provider can blacklist whichever websites they wish. There are several lists going around based on different parameters. Any attempt to access a blocked site is redirected to an "inaccessible" message of some sort, or just times out.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Compamies can't collect data in Europe unless they comply,

Let me give you reverse example of this, online gambling was illegal in the US and has limitations now. Overseas companies many of them based in the EU that have no financial or physical presence in the US are outside of the reach of US law enforcement. If you want to gamble you just go to the site and you only need the means to transfer funds and you are gambling online.

The only recourse the US has is to go after the users or US companies, in this case the banks and other companies in the US that were doing the financial transactions. If I recall there may have been one person they tried to extradite but he was a US citizen and the crimes he committed were committed inside the US.

To reiterate the EU has absolutely no jurisdiction over US companies without a financial or physical presence in the EU simply because they have no recourse to enforce the law. Why would you think otherwise?

Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you had every EU ISP ready to implement some EU government strategy, sure. But that's not really the case.

Most people will getting their DNS records from the ISP (at least that is the way it is here in the US) so it would just be matter of a couple of keystrokes. I had a client once that was originally hosting through the ISP. When I took the site over everyone could access new version on the new server except the customers of that ISP. They had custom record overriding the whois records for the nameservers. Of course none of this would preclude someone from using different DNS service, fully hijacking the DNS is difficult and if someone knows how to use the hosts file on their computer impossible.

The IP would not be difficult either, again a couple of keystrokes. That's very problematic because you could have an IP with hundreds of thousands of sites on it like Cloudflare ones for example.

Lastly I would suggest there is going to be a lot of unknown classified capabilities the ISP's have. All of these things are likely child's play but not capabilities the government or the ISP would want to expose.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:30 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Now you know yet another reason that sensible people in the UK voted for BREXIT. The mostly unelected idiots running the show in the EU are making it a place almost impossible to live in.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most people will getting their DNS records from the ISP (at least that is the way it is here in the US) so it would just be matter of a couple of keystrokes. I had a client once that was originally hosting through the ISP. When I took the site over everyone could access new version on the new server except the customers of that ISP. They had custom record overriding the whois records for the nameservers. Of course none of this would preclude someone from using different DNS service, fully hijacking the DNS is difficult and if someone knows how to use the hosts file on their computer impossible.

The IP would not be difficult either, again a couple of keystrokes. That's very problematic because you could have an IP with hundreds of thousands of sites on it like Cloudflare ones for example.

Lastly I would suggest there is going to be a lot of unknown classified capabilities the ISP's have. All of these things are likely child's play but not capabilities the government or the ISP would want to expose.
You appear to be assuming that all EU ISPs are sitting around, ready and willing to work in lockstep as soon as some sort of EU enforcement message goes out. It's not so. And I worked as a senior network engineer, for a German ISP, for several years. This is what I do for a living.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Now you know yet another reason that sensible people in the UK voted for BREXIT. The mostly unelected idiots running the show in the EU are making it a place almost impossible to live in.
Has it dawned upon you yet that these blocks are put in by the US owners of websites? As for the UK, the pro-Brexit government has been working in favor of censoring the UK Internet - so perhaps that was a bit of a stupid example? But you do you, of course.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They are. My employer (Fortune 500 US company) has just completed a major GDPR project. Absolute pain in the rear, but it made management sit up and actually pay serious attention to safeguarding personal information about our customers, so there is that.
I'm not saying whether it's good or bad, it's a choice they are making and there is a cost of compliance and they will bear that cost. If we do the same, we will have to pay for it as well.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
I've run into that a couple of times.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Pretty soon we will see that message here if Google, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram continue blocking conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies