Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times

Advertisements

Instead of denying science and trying to convince everyone that global warming is a hoax for the sake of corporate interests or religious ideology, why not accept the science but make your case as to why laws and regulations to help combat it aren't a good idea? There are some legitimate cases that can be made on whether or not the benefit of a policy to help curb climate change would actually be effective at all and whether or not the benefit outweighs the cost (be it in terms of the deficit or a hit to the economy). It seems to me that would be more effective than trying to undermine the scientific community. I'm certain several of the responses I get will be stuff like "climate change is a leftist hoax" or something similar. However I am more apt to trust the science since its includes things we can measure over the conservative position that a deity, for whom no proof exists, controls the weather. When it comes to "scientific" reports that cast doubt on climate change, follow the money. Typically it will lead to either some corporation that benefits from lax climate laws or some religious organization.

So for those that support the free market and don't think environmental laws are necessary, why don't you frame your argument that way instead of trying to deny the science?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:57 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
i like the warm weather

Old 08-14-2018, 09:03 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg
i like the warm weather
You won't when crops fail.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
What's the point in denying climate change anyways?
Many of us do not deny climate change at all. We reject the idea that a solution may be had if we join with the likes of Nigeria (and many others) who tell us that the world can be saved if we just transfer a small portion of our wealth to them.
That's just Horsepooky.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
What's the point in denying climate change anyways?

What's the point in admitting climate change? No one on the Left is willing to do anything about it.

I mean, obviously, the first step in addressing AGW is stopping immigration from too-many-children countries to negative-popuation-growth countries.

But y'all don't advocate that, which means you're scamming us.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Instead of denying science and trying to convince everyone that global warming is a hoax for the sake of corporate interests or religious ideology, why not accept the science but make your case as to why laws and regulations to help combat it aren't a good idea? There are some legitimate cases that can be made on whether or not the benefit of a policy to help curb climate change would actually be effective at all and whether or not the benefit outweighs the cost (be it in terms of the deficit or a hit to the economy). It seems to me that would be more effective than trying to undermine the scientific community. I'm certain several of the responses I get will be stuff like "climate change is a leftist hoax" or something similar. However I am more apt to trust the science since its includes things we can measure over the conservative position that a deity, for whom no proof exists, controls the weather. When it comes to "scientific" reports that cast doubt on climate change, follow the money. Typically it will lead to either some corporation that benefits from lax climate laws or some religious organization.

So for those that support the free market and don't think environmental laws are necessary, why don't you frame your argument that way instead of trying to deny the science?
Your proposal is far too reasonable. Since Trump likes to tweet at 2:00am every other day that climate change is a hoax, Trumpers fall in line and shriek "Hoax!" also along with "Fake News!" Rush Limbaugh and Faux do all their thinking for them, and they are heavily invested in keeping it that way. Really Trumpers are no different than a religious crazy who has decided that the law of gravity doesn't apply to him because God will hold him up when he steps off a cliff. Unfortunately, the law of gravity doesn't care if you believe in it or not, it's still the LAW, regardless. The same is true of the laws of thermodynamics which are actually pretty easy to understand and explain global warming quite well.

Alas, Trumpers despise science and do their best to turn science into something out of the book of Revelations. I had an Aunt who was a staunch born again who developed breast cancer. Her doctor caught it in time and could have saved her life if she would have let him. Unfortunately, my Aunt decided that God was going to cure her, and modern medicine could go take a flying leap. Well, God did try to save her by giving her a good doctor and all the progress that modern medicine has made in treating breast cancer. Yet my Aunt in effect turned her back on God instead of accepting his grace and soon succumbed to her cancer before she was even 40.

Climate deniers are no different than my aunt. We could do any number of things to lessen the impact of global warming and prevent much human suffering while we were at it. But no. And it is our grandchildren who will suffer most from our current hubris.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,342,240 times
We live in the cleanest society we ever have, but that doesn't mean jack squat when so-called developing nations (like China) are allowed to spew garbage and chemicals into the air and water without any sort of repercussion, and you're a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe if you mention it.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:43 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
No one denies that climates change. There is, however, no scientific evidence or proof based on the scientific method that supports the theory of man made global warming. As pointed out, our country is remarkably clean in terms of toxins and chemical waste in the environment. The warmer agenda is about redistribution of our country’s wealth, not the planet’s welfare.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:46 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
We live in the cleanest society we ever have, but that doesn't mean jack squat when so-called developing nations (like China) are allowed to spew garbage and chemicals into the air and water without any sort of repercussion, and you're a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe if you mention it.
Shouldn't even have to post pictures of Beijing and New Delhi to make the point; pictures of pollution are all over the Internet.
When Trump rolls back mileage requirements, The Left starts with their "Oh, so you wanna go back to the 50's" nonsense. That's why no one takes The Left seriously any more.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Whether you deny it or wring your hands and cry about it, you can't do a damn thing about it.
Climate changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies