Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times

Advertisements

Depending on who you ask, one extreme side would be the worst. If the extreme leftists had their way, would society be better off? The same applies to the extreme right. If they had their way, would society be better off? Explain your reasoning. Historical examples can definitely be used. Also, if you are going to call a society of the past part of the extreme left/right, provide examples.

For example, if you think the extreme left is a problem because of say, China or the USSR, explain what it was about these societies that make it "left leaning" and why society didn't benefit. The same applies for those who are anti-right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
On the whole, they're BOTH pretty damn annoying...

Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
I believe the extreme left is the only position that promotes human freedom. And when I say extreme left, I mean those who believe in maximum individual freedom both economically and socially. (Think of a libertarian so pure that he straddles the border of anarchy )

The extreme "left" of this society however are economic tyrants. The extreme "right" of this society are social tyrants.

I think neither of the above are worse than the other. To have human freedom, people have to be both economically free AND socially free. So either of the extremes in this society (and including the independent "middle") are tyrants of one form or another. Both the "left" and "right" in this country are tyrants and do not represent "freedom" or anything good for that matter. They are equally bad for individual freedom.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
In terms of the American political scene I'd much rather live in extreme left America than extreme right America; the former would be a better place, much better than what we have today, and to a lesser extent I'd say the same about extreme right America.

In terms of the global political scene over the 20th century we would do well to compare deaths by democide, since murderousness is correlated to quality of life. The USSR had the most at 61 million, PRC China 35 million, Germany 20 million, and KMT China 10 million. Germany's might seem low, but keep in mind they had only one-seventh the time with one-third the population, so adjusting for that the Nazis outdid the Soviets. KMT China was not extreme left or extreme right, making them somewhat unusual in the annals of democide. In the end we come to the conclusion of the second poster: any murderous regime is very bad. The critical lesson here is to not give the government unrestrained power of life and death over their citizens, which America has failed to heed with legitimizing kill lists, torture, and indefinite imprisonment. Unless these trends are reversed it is certain the United States will someday be added to the annals of democide.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Depending on who you ask, one extreme side would be the worst. If the extreme leftists had their way, would society be better off? The same applies to the extreme right. If they had their way, would society be better off? Explain your reasoning. Historical examples can definitely be used. Also, if you are going to call a society of the past part of the extreme left/right, provide examples.

For example, if you think the extreme left is a problem because of say, China or the USSR, explain what it was about these societies that make it "left leaning" and why society didn't benefit. The same applies for those who are anti-right.
Neither, all extremists ideology's are bad, and Americans reject them time and time again

Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This^

Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, Mussolini. It was not so much whether they were right or left, but rather how extreme they were.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yup.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 AM

680 posts, read 1,035,225 times
They both like to restrict freedom by legislating their version of morality.

I'd say that the far left is the most annoying right now only because they seem to brand everyone that disagrees with them as racist or bigots. Throwing out emotional appeals in logical debates kills the chance of any respect from me. They are angry that corporations are in bed with the government, but demand more government. I've long suspected that they have some kind of social handicap or mental disability. This side seems to have a bigger soap box currently as nearly every major network is right in line with their beliefs along with the White House. That's probably one of the reasons why I consider them more annoying at the moment. Obama was supposed to bring this country together but he's done the opposite because of racially divisive politics.

The far right could easily take their place as most annoying with the religious BS. That annoys the hell out of me.....I live in a heavily Protestant area, and it's very clickish. They hate Catholics and abortion but don't seem to care if their own church is run by a thief. Obviously not all right wingers or Protestants are like that though. I have no problem with religion but I don't think your faith should dictate your voting patterns.

Last edited by tigerphan; 10-03-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 08:36 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
I have to go with the herd on this and say extremists from both sides are a downfall for America.

If I could only do away with one of the extreme wings it would be the rw without a second thought,but would be happier if both were gone from politics as a driving force.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I believe the extreme left is the only position that promotes human freedom. And when I say extreme left, I mean those who believe in maximum individual freedom both economically and socially. (Think of a libertarian so pure that he straddles the border of anarchy )
Social freedom is neither right nor left.

Quote:
The extreme "left" of this society however are economic tyrants. The extreme "right" of this society are social tyrants.

I think neither of the above are worse than the other. To have human freedom, people have to be both economically free AND socially free. So either of the extremes in this society (and including the independent "middle") are tyrants of one form or another. Both the "left" and "right" in this country are tyrants and do not represent "freedom" or anything good for that matter. They are equally bad for individual freedom.
This I agree on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies