Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:13 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think that it is rather idiotic that so many people focus on Chicago shootings.

It is weird how so many of you focus on shootings in Chicago. It is extra weird that Chicago media itself focuses on their shootings when no other cities do this. IMO they are just doing it to play on people's fears and prejudices.
We all know that Chicago get's singled out in this forum due to politics. (Just like California, Kansas and a few other places.)

The second part of your post is a double edged sword though because yes, if the murders were spread out across the entire population it would be one thing but instead it's concentrated in a couple key areas and disproportionately impacts minorities.

So, personally, despite the intentions of the rightwingers dogging on Chicago out of politics they're actually shining a light on the problem (even though they don't really care) while the city of Chicago just likes to keep the problem isolated to the areas with no economic or political clout and then talks a good game and occasionally gives a payoff to someone like Sharpton to absolve them.

Lastly, the high rate of US gun violence is completely driven by these types of pockets. The Chicago vs. rest of state murder rate for example is something like 4x higher...within the city itself neighborhoods have murder rates ranging from 1 to 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:19 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You want to suddenly cut off all welfare. I'm for cutting off welfare, but not suddenly. You're going to see riots like you've never seen before, if that is done. You're going to see crime skyrocket if that is done. I'm not implying that everyone is a heroine junkie
What’s so bad about the compulsive admiration of heroes? It’s better than doing drugs or something.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

Again, we hear about "root causes" a lot, but Hispanics experience many of those same "root causes" yet don't display nearly the amount of violent crime. So I'll ask you again, what is the "root cause"????
Because the government agents that illegally bring the guns/drugs into the city and sell them to the Chicago gang bosses dont speak spanish.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Before we cut off all welfare, we need a reform that teaches. Require that they obtain a skill to get hand outs. Require that they maintain a good attendance rate, high marks on their tests, and eventually graduate with their skills. This is not "free college". This is teaching them basic skills. Once they have obtained those skills, help them with their applications and resumes so they know how to create one. Help them find employers who have job openings (much like our unenjoyment offices do now), and require that they get a job within X amount of time. We then help them after they get their first job for a month or two, (since no one gets paid right away). Then? We cut them off. That's it. You're done with welfare. You now have skills, you've been trained, you know how to act, what to do, how to write your own resume, fill out your own application, answer interview questions, and get a job. No more welfare for you.
This would be a good start. At least someone actually cares about fixing the issues as opposed to the rest of the forum that just likes pointing fingers and feigning indignation at black people.

Only problem that would need an additional solution is for the people that cant read that would need more time and extensive training on reading and comprehension. Even if they put in the best effort they could, learning to read still takes time. But once a solution like this is put in place, it could be further fine tuned. But some people will be incorrigible. If they were living this way all their lives, it would be a hard habit to break.

But what is painfully obvious is that no one else in this thread even cares to entertain this actual solution.
I guess the next real solution is what kind of leader of this country would be able to convince neo-cons of how a solution like this will actually benefit them, instead of just taking away their only talking point to make them feel superior.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What happened to the 8 years of hope and change from the community organizer?

If Obama wasn’t going to make a difference then why the hell did liberals elect him? Oh that’s right, because he’s black
Well, if that is your argument, then one could say you elected Trump because he is white, and then ask what happened because he is not "fixing" it.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Add Tulsa to that list too. Tulsa has a murder rate in the 20s per 100,000, not to mention one of the highest rape rates in the USA. It is a Republican city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Tulsa and Oklahoma City are Republican and about the same.
I know. You'd have to be a total partisan hack to make gang violence a Dem vs Repub issue. GOP has full control of all branches and all we see is them blaming Dems for problems they are failing to fix.

The only solution to poverty (which leads to gangs & crime) is better education system, which gives people a chance to claw their way out of the situation.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:57 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
This would be a good start. At least someone actually cares about fixing the issues as opposed to the rest of the forum that just likes pointing fingers and feigning indignation at black people.

Only problem that would need an additional solution is for the people that cant read that would need more time and extensive training on reading and comprehension. Even if they put in the best effort they could, learning to read still takes time. But once a solution like this is put in place, it could be further fine tuned.

But what is painfully obvious is that no one else in this thread even cares to entertain this actual solution.
I guess the next real solution is what kind of leader of this country would be able to convince neo-cons of how a solution like this will actually benefit them, instead of just taking away their only talking point to make them feel superior.
You mean like the Chicago public school system?
talk about fighting failure with failure

Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We all know that Chicago get's singled out in this forum due to politics. (Just like California, Kansas and a few other places.)

The second part of your post is a double edged sword though because yes, if the murders were spread out across the entire population it would be one thing but instead it's concentrated in a couple key areas and disproportionately impacts minorities.

So, personally, despite the intentions of the rightwingers dogging on Chicago out of politics they're actually shining a light on the problem (even though they don't really care) while the city of Chicago just likes to keep the problem isolated to the areas with no economic or political clout and then talks a good game and occasionally gives a payoff to someone like Sharpton to absolve them.

Lastly, the high rate of US gun violence is completely driven by these types of pockets. The Chicago vs. rest of state murder rate for example is something like 4x higher...within the city itself neighborhoods have murder rates ranging from 1 to 35.

I didn't mention right wingers.

I also specifically mentioned that it is odd that Chicago media outlets themselves are to blame for th is.

As I noted in my other comment - Detroit has a higher murder rate. I live about 40 minutes from Detroit. I don't know how many shootings occurred in Detroit over the weekend and neither does anyone else. That is because Detroit media doesn't report on shootings every weekend. To do so, is strange.

I also don't think that Chicago media is "right wing." However, I know that Chicago has a racist history in regards to painting their black population in a negative light and this has nothing to do with left or right, both the left and right in Chicago has a history of doing this.

Less than .5% of black people in Chicago are involved in these shootings. And a majority of the black population in Chicago does not live in those specific neighborhoods. Their violence always occurs in 1-4 neighborhoods so deeming black Chicagoans in any sort of way in regards to violence is disingenuous. People on this forum equate the black people in Chicago with ALL black people in this country.....which is also disingenuous.

Posters have often said in response to me that I need to "do something about Chicago" when I speak of crime . I don't live in Chicago lol. However, I have in-laws in Chicago. Most live in Chatham, Beverly, and Pill Hill neighborhoods - hoods that don't have a lot of violence and murder which also have a high percentage of black people. I could give them the advice here that posters like to broadcast but IMO that wouldn't make any sense either. None of my in-laws are involved in crime, they are not poor, and they don't go out and shoot people or know anyone who does.

And again, it is weird that Chicago media reports this stuff every week. No other city does.

I don't they are doing this to "highlight a problem." I think they are doing it to push fear and prejudice as I mentioned and to keep people coming back to their media sites to see this stuff every week so they can bash black people and make up all these idiotic things about black people in Chicago and welfare and every other thing that has been talked about on this thread.

Chicago had worse problems with violence, shootings, gangs, and murders back in the 1990s and it was not in the national media every week and they didn't keep tallies of who was shot ever week back then either. If you were truly "highlighting the problem" you'd highlight the fact that crime has decreased there over the past 25 years. That is a fact that gets lost in these discussions, that it is better there than it used to be when my spouse grew up in the 1970s and 1980s in the city - back when it was actually extremely dangerous.

ETA: What also gets lost is the fact that crime decreased in Chicago primarily because of the black population lobbying for and implementing programs to decrease drug abuse, gangs, and to assist parents in after school care activities for children. These things directly caused the decrease in the latter and decreased crime rates in the city, but they get overlooked and instead you all try to paint a picture of black Chicagoans being welfare abusers primarily, when that is not true. I know a lot of black people from Chicago. They care very deeply about their hoods and communities and a large amount of them, including my in-laws are very involved in their areas to decrease crime and keep kids off the streets and help foster a sense of community. Their efforts are ignored when these stories are broadcast every week as if no one is doing anything and as if the city is the worst it has ever been when that is not he case at all.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM

1,094 posts, read 499,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Let them kill each other off, as long as innocent bystanders aren't caught. Majority of those killed most likely was self inflicted being associated in wrong groups people and drugs. I have no qualms with them killing each other.

That's a big part of what makes it so horrible, a big number of the victims in Chicago shootings are innocent by-standers, often teens, and many people just passing thru. It's impossible to contain violence like that that's so often connected to gangs and scores being settled, the shooters don't care who gets caught up in crossfire. I saw the same thing over and over as a kid in Los Angeles and now New York, despite it's reputation for having reduced crime there, is seeing a resurge for the same reason, and it's usually the innocent by-standers who feel the worst of it

Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It is LONG past time to send in the freaking army and clean up this city.
well then you better be tossing them into the middle of lake michigan. we do not want their kind downstate. we already enough of them. we had a shooting just a few weeks ago. sure enough, the scum bag fled back up to chriaq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies