Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"he main focus is his time in the Bush White House in 2001-2003, now why would they refuse to provide that information."

The should make deal. They will give the docs which are protected under "executive privilege, IF the Obama admin turns over ALL of HIS docs protected under Executive Privilege starting with his gun running to Mexicans.
Anything to do with the Bush White House is controlled by both the National Archivist and former President Bush. Judge Kavanaugh has nothing to do with either of them. Obama didn't turn over the records concerning Elena Kagan & there was a similar situation with Justice Scalia - this has long precedent ......

the Dems are doing a Dog and Pony show and it will actually work on their Low Information Voters.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Oh, it's Republicans who are screaming and crying in the scheduled hearings?

Plainly Democrats will tell any lie, twist any point, and make any excuse to forward their unconstitutional agenda.

Different from Republicans, who followed the Constitution correctly in refusing consent of the Senate for Garland.

You lost. Get over it. And stop whining.
Show where in the constitution it says the Senate should not hold hearings for a SCJ nominee in the last year of a president's term. SHOW IT.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:19 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So? The GOP wouldn't even hold hearings for Merrick Garland. Protesting is the right of every American.
"The GOP wouldn't even hold hearings for Merrick Garland."

Show us in the Constitution where it is REQUIRED.

Funny hoe so many on the left want to take the "highroad' yet IGNORE the Constitution.

ADVISE and consent

The repubs GAVE their ADVISE, DO NOT SUBMIT in the last year of a president term.

Something PROMISED by the dems.

I love it when the dems do something out of the ordinary and are WARNED NOT TO DO IT and when the tide turns, whine and complain about it.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
from what I'm seeing he should get 60 votes.
I was going for the 55-57 - BUT, Chuck Schumer received a threatening letter this morning, signed by 10 Leftist Activist Groups - instructing him to make sure that not a single Democrat was to be allowed to Vote for Judge Kavanaugh.

Think about that for a minute and then make sure you remember it.
"allowed to vote by Chuck Schumer" ..... that's the way it works under Pelosi & Schumer.

Democrats do exactly what they are told. Keep your eye on the supposedly new Moderate Democrat from Alabama - Senator Doug Jones, who PROMISED that Schumer would NOT tell him how to vote.

IF Doug Jones votes NO on Kavanaugh ....... you know he lied. This is a real test for him.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:22 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Whitehouse is a moron.
He's asking questions that have nothing whatsoever to do with Kavanaugh's purview. It's stupid. CONGRESS legislates, not SCOTUS. That fact seems completely lost on Whitehouse and most other Dems. /SMH

Old 09-05-2018, 12:23 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Oh, it's Republicans who are screaming and crying in the scheduled hearings?

Plainly Democrats will tell any lie, twist any point, and make any excuse to forward their unconstitutional agenda.

Different from Republicans, who followed the Constitution correctly in refusing consent of the Senate for Garland.

You lost. Get over it. And stop whining.
Nope.

Democrats lose 2014 elections, bigly, due to Obama & Harry Reid's horrendous policies. When combined with the stunning loss of accused rapist Bill Clinton's anointed drunken wife, Democrats lost a once in a generation chance to remake the Supreme Court.

I get why that stings the Democrats, what's left of them, badly. So they kick & scream like kids. Like crying on election night.

The voters spoke. The Constitution wins.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:26 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
He's asking questions that have nothing whatsoever to do with Kavanaugh's purview. It's stupid. CONGRESS legislates, not SCOTUS. That fact seems completely lost on Whitehouse and most other Dems. /SMH
The Supreme Court voted 5-4 that 1+1=2 10 times in a row. That must prove bias.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The thundering a-hole Democrat left, at it again.

Why do they think it is desireable to behave in this sort of outrageously childish and uncivil manner during a hearing by the US Senate? What is wrong with these people?
They're 2-year-olds throwing a temper tantrum in the grocery store because they're not getting the candy/toy they wanted. Yes, they create a scene, and people watch, but not approvingly so. Honestly, it's a pattern. The left hasn't developed cognitively beyond the intellectual age of a young child.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Mitch McConnell and the Republican GOP showed their contempt for the constitution when they refused to hold hearings for Merrick Garland.

There is no place in the constitution whatsoever for what they did, they refused to do their jobs.

Republicans really have no idea how angry Democrats are about this particular issue. And if the GOP Senate has hearings and votes for a Trump nominated SCJ in his fourth year, I shudder to think what will happen.

These protests are nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to the white hot rage that will occur if the GOP appoints a SCJ in Trump's fourth year after they not only did what they did, but Kavanaugh had the slimy, oily, disgusting gall to put salt in the wound by reminding the country of Merrick Garland in his introductory speech. After that sleazy move by Kavanaugh, which was done for an audience of one, he showed how putrid he is.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I generally vote Democrat. I'm disappointed in the Democratic Senators on the committee. Look, I get it. You got burned by McConnell on Gorsuch. It stinks. But, from the answers I'm seeing Kavanaugh give - he's likely going to get confirmed. He hasn't fumbled any of the questions so far. It is common to use that "I'd rather not pass judgment on hypothetical scenarios."

If anything, he should check some boxes with Democrats. He did reiterate that he doesn't believe in overturning past judgments. He also said that one of the finest moments of the Judiciary was when the SCOTUS forced Nixon to turn over some documents during the Watergate investigation.

Listen my fellow Democrats. We aren't going to get a liberal justice. Not going to happen, not while the Presidency and Senate are Republican. It is unfortunate that confirmations are a majority vote now. Otherwise, it would moderate the justices appointed just a little bit.

But that's simply not how it is. The best thing Democrats could do is focus on 2018-2022. Win back the Senate and the Presidency and then decide if they should do the right thing and re-establish 60/40 confirmation votes. That's a tough call though. If someone asked me today, I'd say that even if Trump loses in 2020, if the Democrats don't hold the Senate by then, a replacement for Ginsburg would just be held up by Republicans indefinitely. What's 4 years when you already did it 1 year?
The "1 year" was an Election year with a Lame Duck President ..... BUT, you already knew that.
Just as you are aware that it was Harry Reid that "changed" the Rules of the Senate.

If you missed the Introductions to Judge Kavanaugh yesterday - you should at least watch this one - Lisa Blatt was the last introduction. She clerked for Justice Ginsberg and has an interesting story on Kavanaugh. She is very Liberal, and explains why she supports Kavanaugh.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47471...dge-kavanaugh#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies