Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,280,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Only a lunatic or a Democrat left sycophant believes any of these three accusations was credible after looking closely at the available facts.

It is not about whether the accuser is credible. It is whether the accusation is credible, with the accuser's word just being a small part of that. Just FYI.

In all three cases (or four, or five), these accusations were not credible.
How are they not credible?

11,011 posts, read 11,066,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
I pop in quite a bit actually, but as a husband and father of two, I don't have a heck of a lot of time to post on here and get into debates with people who seem to have a lot of free time on here to gather all the talking points and defend their positions.

But after hearing Ford's testimony this morning, and the Republican reaction, I became really puzzled. I just don't understand why they are pushing forward with a this guy who is obviously tainted. Why even take the chance?
So you would be totally fine with having your reputation besmirched and losing out on a job if you were wrongly accused? I was honestly worried the Republicans would capitulate just to make it easier and I’m happy to see they didn’t. Because I don’t like bullies and that’s what the Dems tried to do today. They tried to bully, intimidate, and play very dirty politics today and they lost.

39,948 posts, read 26,665,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Do you know what happened?

I don't - but I also don't pretend to know.

Just admit it - you wouldn't have believed her no matter what she said.

Time passing has little to do with this. In fact, many victims of sexual harassment/assault don't report, often because they want to forget it ever happened. That's not a valid reason for disregarding what someone is saying.
There are lots of ways I would be inclined to believe her. For example, if her testimony or claim harms her in some way. Let's say she was a registered Republican and a supporter of Trump and his policies. If she was and were then to make these claims, she would in doing so harm herself in some way. It would be something of a sacrifice, making it more credible. Whereas if she were a dedicated Democrat she would stand to gain from these claims.

You know-sort of like Juanita Broaddrick, who was a Clinton supporter, and IIRC a Clinton campaign worker, when Clinton raped her. The fact that she was a supporter makes her more credible in my eyes than someone that was a long-time opponent.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:27 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The accusations were not credible because there was literally no corroborating evidence supporting any of them, and also the most basic facts that would allow for the veracity of the claims to be evaluated were not-available.

The better question is why would anyone think these accusations were credible, without corroborating evidence or the most basic factual information such as when and where these alleged crimes supposedly occurred.

The whole thing has been a transparent political hit job. Ford may believe what she is saying, although with her psychology background she should certainly be expected to know better. But the Democrats and the way they were recruiting, coordinating, planning and relentlessly attacking, no matter what, no honest person will try to vouch for them. So I hope you won't.
Just because there's no corroborating evidence on a 36 year old claim in a he-said/she-said situation doesn't make it not "credible." Just means there's no real way to prove it.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:27 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,219,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Kavanaugh showed his complete lack of control today. I bet Trump ate it up, as he also has no self control.

Just what this country needs, a Justice on the Supreme Court who flies off the handle and can not make impartial decisions.
This is true. I don't have a vote but if I did he lost it. He's a judge, and he went up there and acted like a typical partisan politician pandering to the Trump base. Screaming about a whole conspiracy against him involving revenge for Hilary. Yelling out typical talking points to rile people up rather than focusing on the facts tells me that he may not be able to remain impartial if a case involevs an "enemy" and he is going to be a highly divisive force looking more at politics than the law. That is not the way a Supreme Court justice should behave. He also came off petulant and entitled at times, as well as opportunist using his family and tears. I do not care about his politics, he just doesn't belong on the court. Despite being socially liberal I would have no issue with a more conservative judge who did not engage in partisan politics as usual.

Last edited by detshen; 09-27-2018 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,918,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're not the only one who DOESN'T think Trump is either; your point would be what again?
That I don't believe Ford knows who did what she's alleging.

19,573 posts, read 8,565,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Just because there's no corroborating evidence on a 36 year old claim in a he-said/she-said situation doesn't make it not "credible." Just means there's no real way to prove it.
Not credible enough then.

Personally, I believe in extraterrestrial life. I think it is a credible idea. But since I cannot corroborate it, it is probably better to wait until I can to draw a confident conclusion about that.

3,002 posts, read 1,773,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Pretty much.
Haha! Enjoy Kavanaugh and then Barrett for the rest of our lives!

63,919 posts, read 46,918,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The real story will be is who is behind the conspiracy. No doubt this woman is a liar IMO. However she did not come up with this herself, and she is not doing this for nothing. Who is paying for all this? Who is pulling the strings behind the scene? They could not find dirt on Kavanaugh so they created some. This couldn’t have been done without paying people off. I hope the republicans are looking for the money on this. If the conspirators can be found they can be prosecuted. At the very least the accuser should be sued for defamation of character.
Opinions are not facts.

Both gave credible performances, today.

Not likely it moved the needle.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:29 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It's not like a football game yet the Democratic party has a history of continuously moving the goal posts.
C'mon, where'd #WINNING go? Where are your cheerleaders?

It's not a football game but you're going to continue acting like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies