Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 12:31 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,334,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
It's a mind altering substance. I've been so high that I couldn't count to 10.

I'm by no means anti-pot, but that seems like something that probably requires a warning label of some sort. There's a lot of nonsense that floats around about the medical uses of marry-jane that are grossly exaggerated. Without warning labels, it would be incredibly easy for someone that lives under a rock to wander into a dispensary with a bad back and get talked into edibles by some idiot bud tender that's forgotten what THC does to people that don't use it 24/7. My sister in-law works in the ER in a hospital in Spokane WA and says that they get people checking in all the time because of stuff like that now that it's legal.

Add to this that anything you smoke causes lung cancer. We won't even get into the long term damage in regards to brain function that marijuana causes.
OMG.

You're right, we won't get into that, because it is propaganda.

BTW, if you want to see one of those warning labels, see my previous posts in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 12:35 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Too bad ashtrays have been removed from everywhere because some bureaucrats decided that "normalization of smoking" was a greater evil than wildfires.
That is no excuse. Take your butts home and dispose of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 08-26-2018, 02:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Too bad ashtrays have been removed from everywhere because some bureaucrats decided that "normalization of smoking" was a greater evil than wildfires.
Oh how I long for the days of yesteryear, when every road and highway had a drive-by ashtray every 50 feet in both directions. Will this injustice NEVER END??!!??

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-26-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Maybe because the Tobacco Industry hid the danger of smoking for so long. I remember seeing tobacco CEO's one after stand up before congress state their name and say I don't believe cigarettes cause cancer. They are being punished for conspiring with each other to deceive the public for too long. They were done in by internal memos

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...se/yeaman.html

The document is critically important; it indicates that top level executives in the tobacco industry knew about the dangers of smoking back in the early 1960's, but they continued to deny them for over thirty years.
Cmon, yes they promoted the idea that smoking was not dangerous, but that was decades ago, we know for a fact it is very dangerous.

A good example of how this usually works very quickly is opioid prescription drugs, it didnt take long at all for govt to crack down on these drugs, and make them nearly impossible to obtain, once the addiction started causing health problems, overdoses and deaths, Govt acted very quickly to crack down, this is why no doctors or hospitals will prescribe strong opioids anymore.

Tobacco industry has some of the best lobbyists on the planet.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:34 PM

776 posts, read 395,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is no excuse. Take your butts home and dispose of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Our statements aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:38 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Its 2018 and drug stores are STILL selling cigarettes and booze!!

Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
give the nanny staters time, they will get around to alcohol in due time. they have so much nanny stating to do right now with large sugary drinks, and trans fats, and other stupidity.
They already tried to abolish alcohol and they failed miserably: remember Prohibition? Heck, that’s how NASCAR was born.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:12 PM

482 posts, read 242,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
OMG.

You're right, we won't get into that, because it is propaganda.
No intelligent human being could believe that smoking weed 24/7 for years on end doesn't cause brain damage. While there are countless studies on the subject that are by no means "propaganda," does one really need to see a study to come to such a conclusion?

Anyone the smokes bud including myself knows "that guy." You know, the dude that smoked himself retarded. Now before you go off on some silly tangent about how all the stoners you know are doctors and lawyers, understand that I'm well aware that not every person that smokes all the time gets weird from it just like not every person that drinks too much acts like a typical drunk. With that said, stereotypes exist for a reason. Yes, getting loaded everyday even on marijuana will eventually catch up to someone at some point regardless if you wish to not believe it. That is reality friend.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:52 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,334,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
No intelligent human being could believe that smoking weed 24/7 for years on end doesn't cause brain damage. While there are countless studies on the subject that are by no means "propaganda," does one really need to see a study to come to such a conclusion?

Anyone the smokes bud including myself knows "that guy." You know, the dude that smoked himself retarded. Now before you go off on some silly tangent about how all the stoners you know are doctors and lawyers, understand that I'm well aware that not every person that smokes all the time gets weird from it just like not every person that drinks too much acts like a typical drunk. With that said, stereotypes exist for a reason. Yes, getting loaded everyday even on marijuana will eventually catch up to someone at some point regardless if you wish to not believe it. That is reality friend.
Sorry, friend, that is not reality. And, as a matter of fact, I do NOT know anyone who has "smoked himself retarded". All the ones I know that fall into that category, which are very few, were already retarded before they ever started using cannabis, or they did it by using other drugs in addition to cannabis.

Since I don't know your definition of "getting loaded", having a meaningful conversation about it is highly unlikely, especially since you believe your breadth of experience with the subject matter at hand is wide enough that it justifies your closed mind.

I use it every day. Have for many decades. I do not "get loaded". I am pretty sure from our last debate that you consider any usage as "getting loaded", so to elaborate on that would be pointless.

If you actually knew any science about it, you would know that THC does not attack or kill brain cells. Instead, it binds to receptors that are already in our brains for that very purpose (and throughout our entire bodies, for that matter). That is the extent of "brain damage".

So, if you care to, you could point out all the grammatical errors and other problem areas with my posts that makes it obvious I have "smoked myself retarded".

Old 08-26-2018, 04:58 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
Here's my guess:

1. Tobacco has a single direct causal link to health problems, and alcohol doesn't.

2. Tobacco, used correctly, tends to lead to death, and alcohol doesn't.

3. Alcohol appears to have some possible health benefits (although the science is always changing), and tobacco doesn't.

I'm guessing there are also a lot more casual drinkers - people who have a glass of wine when they go out to dinner once a month, but probably not smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies