Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:01 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Now, I don't think this was the proper time and place for grandstanding like that.

That said, of course some will get upset at the message, because it's the painful truth.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ms/1163498002/
amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 03:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
What he actually said aside, I don't know why those idiots keep using a funeral, of all places, as a soapbox from which to spout their political garbage. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:44 PM

24,651 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What he actually said aside, I don't know why those idiots keep using a funeral, of all places, as a soapbox from which to spout their political garbage. It makes no sense whatsoever.
It makes perfect sens when you're black and the state of your community is in complete chaos.

As a non-black person, you simply can't relate to such a sense of urgency. Not your fault. People aren't shooting themselves to death everyday in Beverly Hills like they are in Southside Chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Believe me black folks have been holding each other accountable for decades,
Not true at all. This "no snitching" and "BLM" campaign guarantees distrust and noncooperation with the police and black communities who must work together to bring down these violent gangs.

Why do you think the gangs are still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black people have been hearing about Black on Black murder for ages
And yet Chicago is still a war zone. So guess what? We need to hear MORE about it 24/7 until we rid our communities of it once and for all.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:12 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
And yet Chicago is still a war zone. So guess what? We need to hear MORE about it 24/7 until we rid our communities of it once and for all.
24/7 coverage isn't going to work. We get coverage of murders all the time. Many people are just going to turn off the television. And this is the thing. The only thing that does is put out a really bad image of Black people. It makes it harder for Black people like me. It would only create an even more negative public opinion about Black people than exists now. The thugs doing the killing won't care. The thugs will not listen to Black people telling them "get your act together and stop acting like animals". Thugs don't listen. All they understand is violence.

And something else. Alot of Black people don't live in the areas where this carnage is taking place. They aren't living there so isn't going to be as much urgency as it would be if said persons were living there.

And something else. Not even the death penalty scares those thugs. When you have individuals who have no hope in them and don't care if they live or die, and live by the code of "disrespect me and you die", they will not blink at killing people. Go look at New Orleans, which has a much higher murder rate than Chicago. Louisiana has the death penalty and will use it. Doesn't stop Black on Black murder in New Orleans.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-03-2018 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Now you wanna mitigate their wrongdoing by claiming that the money is given voluntarily.

So then why bring up the NOI then? They aren’t forcing anyone to give them money either.

Look here phony...what you should’ve said from the outset was that Christian pastors have the right to take billions off of unsuspecting dupes since the dupes give the money freely.

Moreover, you’re right that you’re done here. I stuck a fork in you a while ago.
Waaa waaa waa waaaa waaa.
ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Old 09-03-2018, 08:43 PM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
And that's why the black community continues to struggle while the black individual who frees himself from it is succeeding and thriving.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:14 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,583,449 times
Default How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Believe me black folks have been holding each other accountable for decades, we have heard what he said from other blacks on countless occasions. He said nothing I have not heard from several other black people. There have been several marches, forums, panels, community cleanups and plenty of other events organized by black folks to try and reduce crime in the hood, but let's be honest society at large chooses to ignore these things, I mean it does not make for good media.

With that being said, we still have every right to question his intentions for saying what he said when he said it. Some blacks say these things, especially publicly, because they are trying their hardest to get white approval at all costs, and they know that boost their careers. To them they could careless if these things continue. Don't even get me started when he said single mothers can't teach their sons how to be successful!!
This is not being facetious at all, instead I'm asking a honest question...what motivation would this old-school style Black pastor have for White approval? He already has a megachurch and two locations, no doubt predominately Black membership. He is a Morehouse graduate, comes from a family lineage of Black preachers, and lives in Atlanta. His life and ministry success up to this point has not been dependent on White people's approval. How would their approval help him now in his life and long career in ministry?

I doubt they're going to join his church and boost the membership or start sending him their tithes and offerings. As far as I'm aware, he's not running for political office in which he needs the White vote. I would think he's sincerely concerned about the plight of Black people; especially since he's well aware that only Black people can change the current trajectory. White approval (nor disapproval for that matter) cannot and will not change Black on Black behavior. It appears that was his primary concern - Black on Black behavior.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,886 times
he spoke the truth but, I don't think Aretha Franklin's funeral was the time or place for that kind of speech.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Franklin’s family says eulogy was offensive

Old 09-04-2018, 12:35 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Now, I don't think this was the proper time and place for grandstanding like that.

That said, of course some will get upset at the message, because it's the painful truth.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ms/1163498002/

Quote:

The Rev. Jasper Williams Jr. of the Salem Bible Church in Atlanta touched on Franklin's life and career but also criticized black-on-black crime and said single mothers are incapable of raising sons by themselves. He said black America has lost its soul and that it's "now time for black America to come back home."

"There was a time when we as a race had a thriving economy," Williams said. "I remember we had our own little grocery stores. We had our own little hotels. They weren't big and fancy, but they were ours. ...

"As bad as the days as Jim Crow and segregation were ... it forced us to each other instead of forcing us on each other. We quickly come to realize that as a people, all we really have is one another.
It is beautiful and appropriate that Rev. Jasper Williams Jr. addressed hard issues and truths. As for the choice of timing, he was addressing an audience that both was listening and needed to hear what was said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies