Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
Sure they are!!!!!:: based on what may I ask? Do you have any idea the hours of study they put in, the cost of operating an office, the cost of their education or the amount of responsibility put on them everyday? I do not think they are over paid and I don't think our health system is screwed up either. I do think what you are saying about the money they make is why they do not want universal health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Athletes are grossly overpaid. Doctors make a lot of money because it takes years of school/experience to do what they do. And that would be saving lives & making lives better.

You try and take money away from doctors watch people stop wanting to be doctors. I can only imagine a country with universal healthcare with a shortage of doctors.
You are exactly right. I will gladly live with knowing my doctor is making more in a month than we make in a year but have a problem with my favorite quarterback making twice what my doctor makes and my doctor doesn't take a knee.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:01 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
Ah yes, let’s punish the brilliant Ben Carson neurosurgeons of America. Who help keep people alive for a living.

When you look at the student loans, training, school, and experience of those doctors, you’ll see they earned every penny. Even a plastic surgeon earns his money. They can make an ugly person less ugly.

When doctors start growing on trees, then you can start paying them less.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I know a lot of doctors working at a cancer center here in Japan. Their salaries are set by the government and they all make roughly the same amount regardless of specialty, only about 30-40% of what an oncologist or surgeon with their level of expertise might make in America. They do great work, with patient outcomes as good as any in the world. I would not describe any of them as "greedy". Odd as it may seem, there is no shortage here of talented people willing to work very hard and make a career in a highly respected field, even when pay is limited to a level which affords only a comfortable middle class lifestyle.
good for them and maybe their education didn't cost as much as it does here. how knows? But regardless that is Japan we live in America.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Next time you need heart surgery, be sure to shop around for the cheapest doctor who ranked in the bottom of his class.
Better yet, they should go to Canada where they have to wait 6 months for that same cheap doctor who graduated last in the class.

Hope the OP survives the wait!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
I've always felt that the real problem isn't that doctors are overpaid but the lack of quality doctors in the first place. Mediocre doctors are easy to find, its harder to find truly great ones.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:34 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Better yet, they should go to Canada where they have to wait 6 months for that same cheap doctor who graduated last in the class.

Only 6 months....BS ....well all know in Canada you have to wait at least 2 years...

Meanwhile in the USA there is a private Gulfstream jet waiting to take you to the Mayo Clinic...
no waiting at all

Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

And you don’t have to wait here? Please. I have a friend who has tried to get in to see a primary care doctor in a reasonably large city and he found one doctor who can accept him IN DECEMBER. That is for primary care. How is that any better than Canada. This myth that there is no shortage is a joke. If you are in a rural area, it is even worse. In the US you are stuck with whatever doctor takes your insurance plan and generally whatever doctors are willing to practice in your area.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have a friend who has tried to get in to see a primary care doctor in a reasonably large city and he found one doctor who can accept him IN DECEMBER. That is for primary care. How is that any better than Canada. This myth that there is no shortage is a joke. If you are in a rural area, it is even worse. In the US you are stuck with whatever doctor takes your insurance plan and generally whatever doctors are willing to practice in your area.
They'll just say its all because of Obamacare.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:07 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
And you don’t have to wait here? Please. I have a friend who has tried to get in to see a primary care doctor in a reasonably large city and he found one doctor who can accept him IN DECEMBER. That is for primary care. How is that any better than Canada. This myth that there is no shortage is a joke. If you are in a rural area, it is even worse. In the US you are stuck with whatever doctor takes your insurance plan and generally whatever doctors are willing to practice in your area.
Six months in my area for a dermatologist, even if you have a bleeding mole. You can get put on a list if anyone cancels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies