Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:33 AM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with docs making good money. I have more of a problem with CEO's that literally tank a company and they get to walk away with tens of millions of dollars and the stupid board of directors that allows that type of crap to happen, that bother me much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 09:41 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,590,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
If you feel that way, put in the 8+ years of schooling required, put in an internship for lousy pay and 24 hour shifts, work a residency for marginal pay while purchasing overpriced malpractice insurance. Then work for $15 an hour-while taking your student loans out of your check.

All assuming of course that you are in the top 1-2% of your high school graduating class and have a chance of getting accepted into a MD program.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:43 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,415,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Most doctors are great at memorizing information. That doesn't mean they could be anything they want to be. Many professions require thinking outside the box - and doctors are generally lousy at that.
Googlers in white coats who process insurance claims.

That's what they've been reduced to due to government-controlled health care. The artificial scarcity is a huge problem that most don't admit or even care about.

Add in what you eluded to (let's go with the word "hubris" to make it easy on ourselves) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:43 AM

3,358 posts, read 1,240,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Primary Care Doctors today do not make a lot of money. I don't think Internist do as well. The days of living up on the hill with nice cars are gone for doctors.

You do not want Universal Healthcare. The people in Canada who have money come to the USA for their care. The waiting lists in Canada is long - Our nieces husband is from Canada. Also their taxes are through the roof. How do you think that Universal Healthcare is paid for?
How do you know medical professionals don’t want universal healthcare? Those I know (mostly younger generation like my DD) want to practice medicine, not do paperwork for the insurance company. She spends every evening home, after putting kids to bed, charting Medicare patient data into the wee hours. Young Medical professionals are increasingly passionate about changing this broken system.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,149,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Most doctors are great at memorizing information. That doesn't mean they could be anything they want to be. Many professions require thinking outside the box - and doctors are generally lousy at that.

The average IQ of a doctor is about 120 to 125, while not extraordinarily high it's high. High IQ allows you comprehend complex topics regardless of what they may be. Everyone has things they may excel at but the higher that IQ goes the more likely you will excel at any given task. When you consider the drive needed to enter such a profession to begin with there is going to be very little they could not accomplish.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:48 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,590,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Your favorite quarterback has also reached the pinnacle of his profession, as have other professional athletes. That's not true of doctors.

Q: What do they call a doctor who graduates at the bottom of his class from med school?
A: "Doctor."
"Professional athletes" are overpaid, whiny adults playing children's games for a living-and are all too often barely literate.

Doctors save lives.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,104,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
How do you know medical professionals don’t want universal healthcare? Those I know (mostly younger generation like my DD) want to practice medicine, not do paperwork for the insurance company. She spends every evening home, after putting kids to bed, charting Medicare patient data into the wee hours. Young Medical professionals are increasingly passionate about changing this broken system.
When Americans decide to pay 20% of their take home pay for universal health insurance they'll vote for it.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 AM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
"Professional athletes" are overpaid, whiny adults playing children's games for a living-and are all too often barely literate.

Doctors save lives.
I agree, I'm sickened at how our culture seems to value things that are trivial, things like celebrity just for celebrity sake. No talent hacks like that big rear ended buffoon Kim Kardashian. Like you said half of the sports athletes can't read or write and speak like knuckle draggin apes.

Then you have the first responders, doctors, teachers, nurses, you know, people doing the heavy lifting in society and we're suppose to look up to the likes Kayne West and other idiots.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:56 AM

19,730 posts, read 12,304,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
They want to treat the poor and a lot of medical groups supported ACA, expanded medicaid or some kind of safety net for lower income people. That of course is going away under this administration and we go back to people showing up at the ER for everything. This puts a strain on the system, doctors know this first hand.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:58 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,415,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If you feel that way, put in the 8+ years of schooling required, put in an internship for lousy pay and 24 hour shifts, work a residency for marginal pay while purchasing overpriced malpractice insurance. Then work for $15 an hour-while taking your student loans out of your check.

All assuming of course that you are in the top 1-2% of your high school graduating class and have a chance of getting accepted into a MD program.
I'm not arguing their pay. I'm a pure 100% capitalist. Let it fly.

But most of what you speak of here is government-induced machinery that in no way shape or form equates to professional competency for doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies