Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:11 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,300,403 times

Advertisements

If you want doctors to make more money, kill the insurance companies and the courts, or control healthcare more. Their single biggest expense is malpractice insurance due to rising awards by courts and rates from insurance companies. Get the quacks out of practice and everyone wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:13 AM

1,122 posts, read 963,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Actually, with universal health care, the USA's quality of healthcare will drop.

Why be a doctor when you can skip all that school and just be a salesman instead?

I want to live in a country where the absolute brightest, most ambitious, people who can make a change and lives better, are the doctors. I know several doctors, they're as greedy as they come but they do make a positive difference in peoples' lives. They don't want to work for cheap and I can't say I'd feel any different.

I'm not going to hate on them because they make more money than I do. Also not because they're smarter than I am. My little sis is about done with medical school, she's brilliant. I'm not dumb but I can't even look at some of the formulas in her books without getting a headache, lol.
Primary Care Doctors today do not make a lot of money. I don't think Internist do as well. The days of living up on the hill with nice cars are gone for doctors.

You do not want Universal Healthcare. The people in Canada who have money come to the USA for their care. The waiting lists in Canada is long - Our nieces husband is from Canada. Also their taxes are through the roof. How do you think that Universal Healthcare is paid for?

Old 09-04-2018, 07:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 639,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are exactly right. I will gladly live with knowing my doctor is making more in a month than we make in a year but have a problem with my favorite quarterback making twice what my doctor makes and my doctor doesn't take a knee.
Your favorite quarterback has also reached the pinnacle of his profession, as have other professional athletes. That's not true of doctors.

Q: What do they call a doctor who graduates at the bottom of his class from med school?
A: "Doctor."

Old 09-04-2018, 07:41 AM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
I don't know if doctors are overpaid, but the US fedguv has meddled so much in health care that pricing for everything and anything is out of whack. It is a fact that congress limits the amount new doctors that can practice medicine. What happens to the value of a thing when its supply is artificially limited while the demand for it is increased?
The obvious solution to exorbitant health care costs is to get the guv out of it entirely.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:17 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Doctors are actually making less money than they once did. They no longer run their own offices with nobody to answer to beside themselves.

The healthcare network system (aka the corporation) owns the Medical practices. Doctors practicing within that system are given a contract stating what they'll be paid per year. They're pushed for profit and are expected to send patients for X number of tests each year. If they don't meet their goals they can be subject to not having their contract renewed, or having a bad contract presented to them, or being moved to a less desirable position within the healthcare system. The systems want so many bodies in the door each day that doctors are working at a breakneck pace and working hours after close time. This is not only hard on the doctors, but support staff who might be salaried employees and working 50 plus hours a week.

The system pushes for tests so they can pay for equipment or justify purchasing new equipment.

One of my doctor friends said tradespeople are now making more money than internists.

If you want to know where the money goes, it's the healthcare network systems (the corporations) and insurance companies. They are in bed together the same way that Big Pharma and the FDA are, so don't think that insurance companies actually work toward containing costs, because they don't.

Also, the rush job doctors and staff give patients is partly due to the paperwork they're required to complete, as noted in this article I've posted previously:

https://nypost.com/2014/07/09/obamac...-by-paperwork/

Last edited by MPowering1; 09-04-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 568,626 times
They do too much schooling and should be cut down the unnecessary undergrad gen ed courses they take which requires more time, effort and money.

Doctors should be making between $150-300K maximum.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 AM

1,261 posts, read 568,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Better yet, they should go to Canada where they have to wait 6 months for that same cheap doctor who graduated last in the class.

Hope the OP survives the wait!
Not true at all.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.

Doctor's have very high IQ's and could be anything they wanted to be. The profession they have chosen is a much more difficult path with less pay than many of the other things they could be. Idealism will only get you so far and If there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow many will reconsider their choice.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
T
Doctors should be making between $150-300K maximum.

A doctor just like anyone else should be making what someone is willing to pay them.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Doctor's have very high IQ's and could be anything they wanted to be. The profession they have chosen is a much more difficult path with less pay than many of the other things they could be. Idealism will only get you so far and If there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow many will reconsider their choice.
Most doctors are great at memorizing information. That doesn't mean they could be anything they want to be. Many professions require thinking outside the box - and doctors are generally lousy at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies