Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not a fan of actual history, are you?

You ought to look up Thomas Jefferson some time. He did not believe that Jesus was god. George Washington and Abraham Lincoln are two others that may have shared that same (dis)belief, and there could well have been others.
They still considered themselves Christians. Now, I myself really don’t due to in fact anyone denying the trinitiy and divinity is against mainstream and core tenant of Christianity. You cannot say you are vegetarian yet you eat meat.

They still had Christian cultural background though for sure.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
They still considered themselves Christians. Now, I myself really don’t due to in fact anyone denying the trinitiy and divinity is against mainstream and core tenant of Christianity. You cannot say you are vegetarian yet you eat meat.

They still had Christian cultural background though for sure.
I recited the Nicene Creed countless times as a youngster. If you think that Jesus is only a prophet or an otherwise good guy, you’re not a Christian - Muslims believe as much, and stories about him are in the Koran. To be a Christian, you must believe that Jesus is god. That’s the formal definition, recognized by theologians around the world. Including Christian theologians.

Jefferson believed in god, but he specifically denied that Jesus was of the godhead. He also read and valued the Koran and Hindu scriptures. In American terms, what he wrote that he believed makes him a Deist or a Unitarian. BTW, I have a Christian background, like most European and American atheists. Doesn’t make me a Christian.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-13-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 12:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Not true at all. We never had any non-Christian president.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2015/12/30/opi....google.com%2F
This is an opinion written by a businessman. He’s wrong.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Shouldn’t a religious institution be revoked its tax exemption and even perhaps be banned or not protected under the First Amendment for spreading violence, hatred or spread messages that homosexuality, apostasy, adultery, etc. carries death penalty and encourage its adherents to blow themselves up or kill somebody because of what is written in the Islamic and Jewish scriptures? I think it’s absurd and quite threatening.

Many Muslims and religious Jews spread violence and/or hatred to our societies which is incompatible especially in the 21st Century and the Western world.

Why should the American government give those synagogues and mosques tax exemption when they show hate and violence?!
Because we are a free society and who is to say which religions would lose their status? Believe me, I havd problems with some of the Muslims as much as anyone, but not all of them. As for the Jews, am not sure what you are talking about Still all in all either all religions lose their tax exemption or none do.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Christians thrive on hating other religions and homosexuals, etc. What about them?
what a false statement that is and where did you come up with such a crazy notion? are you a practicing religious person at all? We do not hate anyone, certainly not other religions. As for homosexuals, many Christians are homosexuals or is that a surprise to you? Don't judge us all by a few. I could say all blacks are full of hatred for everyone based on experience with a few or all atheist are full of hate for all religions, but that isn't the case.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:03 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
the Catholic Church is the largest non-government provider of health care in the world. Let's stop that now!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:06 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Shouldn’t a religious institution be revoked its tax exemption and even perhaps be banned or not protected under the First Amendment for spreading violence, hatred or spread messages that homosexuality, apostasy, adultery, etc. carries death penalty and encourage its adherents to blow themselves up or kill somebody because of what is written in the Islamic and Jewish scriptures? I think it’s absurd and quite threatening.

Many Muslims and religious Jews spread violence and/or hatred to our societies which is incompatible especially in the 21st Century and the Western world.

Why should the American government give those synagogues and mosques tax exemption when they show hate and violence?!
No, they should not be banned, check your constitution. And I see you conveniently left out anything Christian, why, pray tell, is that?

I've seen a lot of "Christian" cults that advocate murder and polygamy. Why not include those?

And people ask why I don't believe in organized religion.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the Catholic Church is the largest non-government provider of health care in the world. Let's stop that now!
Fine, they can be exempt for that part. What does that have to do with your local church wanting fire and police protection, and not paying for it?

Old 09-13-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, they should not be banned, check your constitution. And I see you conveniently left out anything Christian, why, pray tell, is that?

I've seen a lot of "Christian" cults that advocate murder and polygamy. Why not include those?

And people ask why I don't believe in organized religion.
No true Christian advocates that. Go organize your own religion and start preaching with your community true Christianity or seek different sect/church.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This is an opinion written by a businessman. He’s wrong.
Doesn’t matter sources are within the article. We never had any non-Christian president and will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies