Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:49 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,121,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
I would suggest Firefox or Tor for a browser and duckduckgo for searching if you want to ditch google. I can't help you with a YouTube alternative. That is the one google product I cannot do without.
Dailymotion and Vimeo are a couple of options. I hear about Bitchute...I think it's a torrent kind of site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 05:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,528,318 times
LOL about Trumpists worried about companies tracking you.

Trump signed a law which allows ISPs to track you and sell your data without your permission. Doesn't matter whether you use the trackless browsers because the ISP has the info no matter which browser you use and doesn't matter if you are incognito.

Due to Trump, ISPs can sell your browsing history and the buyer can decide to place it on a public web site and you have no control over it. Trump sold you out. But you'll probably be happy with that and have some crazy explanation on why it's so great because Trump did it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...onsent-n742316

Trump Signs Measure to Let ISPs Sell Your Data Without Consent

President Donald Trump signed legislation Monday killing privacy rules that would have required internet service providers to get your explicit consent before they share or sell your web browsing history and other sensitive information.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:55 PM

435 posts, read 176,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Dailymotion and Vimeo are a couple of options. I hear about Bitchute...I think it's a torrent kind of site
I thought Vimeo banned Alex Jones too, if the issue is because sites are banning Alex Jones, I don't think it would meet their criteria.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:01 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,121,987 times
Quote:
I thought Vimeo banned Alex Jones too, if the issue is because sites are banning Alex Jones, I don't think it would meet their criteria.
I was just providing alternates in general. It looks like Dailymotion hasn't maybe if that matters to people.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:06 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,417,441 times
Because big tech does big things. From googles abilities to find EXACTLY what I want, to reddit or other places having the best user experience.

And if I want to do some decent neural network work, Google has some of the easier to use development packages, and Amazon can provide me with some amazing on demand systems.

Basically because I like living in the future, using the best platforms. If you want some insane idea that you're going to bug these folks at all by using some entry level systems feel free. But they don't care at all, and the only person you hobble is yourself.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Because big tech does big things. From googles abilities to find EXACTLY what I want, to reddit or other places having the best user experience.

And if I want to do some decent neural network work, Google has some of the easier to use development packages, and Amazon can provide me with some amazing on demand systems.

Basically because I like living in the future, using the best platforms. If you want some insane idea that you're going to bug these folks at all by using some entry level systems feel free. But they don't care at all, and the only person you hobble is yourself.
Their use for tech is not to move us forward or build things, their use for tech is to take us backwards and tear things down.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,242,225 times
Sorry, I'm a huge google fan. I use a chromebook for daily surfing, have google home minis all over the house, even my tv is controlled from my chromebook or pixel phone. Google may be tracking my net surfing, but it also knows what I'm looking for based on my browsing history. But then again I'm boring so if someone is buying my data, then they aren't getting much.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:22 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,417,441 times
Quote:
Their use for tech is not to move us forward or build things, their use for tech is to take us backwards and tear things down.

Sorry, but reality is not the way you describe. They are there to make things, and make money. The only people trying to move us backwards and tear things down seems to be Republicans who feel that they are special snowflakes where rules about civility on corporate platforms are somehow a awful horrible thing.

Get over it. People dont want the vile nonsense that is Alex Jones, they dont want the hatred, and the threats of violence. And im not going to go hop on a platform that tolerates that. Its pretty bad already.

But if you folks feel you need to leave because the hate and threats arent tolerated? Go. And dont let the door hit you.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sorry, but reality is not the way you describe. They are there to make things, and make money. The only people trying to move us backwards and tear things down seems to be Republicans who feel that they are special snowflakes where rules about civility on corporate platforms are somehow a awful horrible thing.

Get over it. People dont want the vile nonsense that is Alex Jones, they dont want the hatred, and the threats of violence. And im not going to go hop on a platform that tolerates that. Its pretty bad already.

But if you folks feel you need to leave because the hate and threats arent tolerated? Go. And dont let the door hit you.
I was referring to the Alex Jones crowd. We are on the same side of this.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,232,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
LOL about Trumpists worried about companies tracking you.

Trump signed a law which allows ISPs to track you and sell your data without your permission. Doesn't matter whether you use the trackless browsers because the ISP has the info no matter which browser you use and doesn't matter if you are incognito.

Due to Trump, ISPs can sell your browsing history and the buyer can decide to place it on a public web site and you have no control over it. Trump sold you out. But you'll probably be happy with that and have some crazy explanation on why it's so great because Trump did it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...onsent-n742316

Trump Signs Measure to Let ISPs Sell Your Data Without Consent

President Donald Trump signed legislation Monday killing privacy rules that would have required internet service providers to get your explicit consent before they share or sell your web browsing history and other sensitive information.
They may not be perfect, but I notice the ads I see now are the most generic ads ever. They have no idea who I am on the websites. Maybe the ISP could dig it up and that's another concern, but I have cut the daily annoyance down 99% by not being tracked by cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies