Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,508,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hialeah is pretty much 100% Latino. It used to be all Cuban, but now it is a mix of Latinos from many countries. Not surprised she did not speak English.
I was wondering if she was Cuban. I only know enough about south Florida to assume. Having said that, I live in Texas and many of our fast food workers are new English learners from various Spanish speaking countries, and they are able to take a basic order in a drive through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 05:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I was wondering if she was Cuban. I only know enough about south Florida to assume. Having said that, I live in Texas and many of our fast food workers are new English learners from various Spanish speaking countries, and they are able to take a basic order in a drive through.
This one didn't even try, so she deserved to get the boot.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I know BB, we do have Taco Bell in the UK and it's not even the best Mexican restaurant chain in the UK.
I would hope not. Its a fast food joint.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:40 AM

225 posts, read 150,370 times
Hire American or don't do business in the US. Enact law and order on immigration and stop malicious immigration pathways. Anyone who says that the issue is more complicated than that doesn't have the American people's best interest at heart.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:51 AM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
In the video you can hear the employee utter to her supervisor "Yo entiende, pero no quiero", which translates to "I understand her, I just don't want to."

Ah, so the truth comes out! Just as I have been saying for years. Native Spanish speakers don't and won't speak English unless they have to. This employee should have in this incident but took it one step further and refused to.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I would have thought Chipotle Mexican Grill would have been ranked higher than Taco Bell, although there was the food poisoning incident and Chipotle is a bit more casual dinng than fast food. There's alsop the Qdoba chain in the US.

In the UK we have a couple of Chipotle in London, and we have Taco Bell in most major cities, however the best mexican chain is probably Wahaca. There is also the Chiquito chain of Mexican food, as well as chains such as Tortilla and Barburrito.

Although independent family businneses beat any chains food.

Chipotle really isn't Mexican, though. Neither is Taco Bell, if we're honest. That sort of food is more "Tex-Mex," and like many ethnic American food, represents an Americanization of traditional dishes from other countries.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Well, you do know who is to blame for the horrible living conditions in Mexico and the rest of Middle America and South America? It all rests on the relentless drug addiction of Americans, most of White suburbia, and the drug war US politicians started that has done nothing but destroy countries and countless lives. So I guess the US is reaping what it is sowing. There are two ways we can change this. One, make all drugs legal, or, instead of going after drug dealers and cartels, start making drug use a capital offense punishable by death. We start culling the US population of all illegal narcotic users, it will probably make the US and the rest of the world a better place. Cartels won't have anyone to sell drugs to if all the users are dead.
Such a simplistic and overreaching explanation for a complex problem.

The drugs issue is one piece of the pie. More importantly, however, are the lack of institutions, trust in laws, functioning democracies or any of the other social and political factors in much of South America that make up a successful country vs. a non-successful country.

Venezuela, for example, is not a **** hole because of the US drug war. Brazil's massive social problems have nothing to do with American drug use. Some would argue that but-for American drug money, many places in South and Central America would HAVE NO ECONOMY at all.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:26 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Confucius says “He who pulls out cell phone first, wins”.

The customer was probably rude to the girl before the filming started and the girl used her Spanish as an out to not have to serve her. If this were the case, then the company needs to stand by their employees. Rudeness needs to be punished.

If I’m wrong, I’ll retract.

Retract please you aren't God or a johnny on the spot and wasn't there to witness the actions of the African American(s).

Old 09-16-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
English may be the official language of Florida, but does it apply to private businesses?

Howest2 0 0 8... of course it does....

I can't imagine that the employees of a private business would be required to speak English. That sounds unconstitutional to me.
No it doesn't litigate your way all the way up to the Supreme Court and see!!!

Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hialeah is pretty much 100% Latino. It used to be all Cuban, but now it is a mix of Latinos from many countries. Not surprised she did not speak English.

You don't have to know how to speak English to give a paying customer a number 6 off the menu!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies