Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:15 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
In Arizona, they have a "stupid motorist law" where if you purposely drive through a wash with water and ignore barricades and signage warning them of floods ahead and get stuck, you have to reimburse the government for the cost of your rescue. Which only seems fair!
That ‘feel-good’ law is almost never enforced.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc.../amp/698738002

Last edited by johnp292; 09-16-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:23 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Oh yes, I’m quite aware of that. That’s why I said “reasonable” human being. I probably should have said “decent.”
You just gave me an idea for a thread on who thinks they are a decent human being, and then give examples that have plagued this forum, starting with this one. Lol. There will be surprises and fireworks. Should be fun.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:52 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Yes. Not just in hurricanes either. If you get lost in the woods 100 yards from a McDonalds or call 9/11 from a corn maze then you should foot the bill not the taxpayers.
I am a taxpayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I agree this is a problem for some people. But aren't there emergency shelters set up for people who have nowhere to evacuate to? Are there enough of them to accommodate the need?
From what I read, many of the shelters were already full by Thursday. Sometimes shelters don't allow pets. Some people don't feel safe in shelters. Whole lotta reasons to avoid them.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 AM

225 posts, read 150,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I think that people who build in flood zones, wildfire areas and mud slide areas should be denied insurance. It costs us all money in the long run.
You know that stuff actually factors into their individual insurance premiums.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
What about those in a mandatory evacuation zone who can't leave? And how do you know the man in the case in North Carolina didn't plead with his wife that they leave? In a time when we already try to legislate morality too much, now we're going to try to legislate mortality? Say a family doesn't want to evacuate. Maybe they're crazy or dumb. It doesn't matter. They don't want to leave. But they have to leave. On I26, their van is wiped out by a tanker truck and all of them but the father dies. Does he now get to sue the government for making them leave?
I have not been following the case to which you refer so I can't address the "man in the case" question but I can say, everyone can leave when you have days notice that a hurricane will hit. How long have we known this hurricane was coming? If the family is crazy or dumb then they're on their own or they can be rescued and pay a fine later.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
People stay in evacuation areas mainly to protect their property and personal belongings.

By introducing a charge people are going to be put off seeking help if they do get in to seriopus difficulties and people may die as a result.

Emergency services are free in most countries including Ambulances etc, whilst rescue organisations may be NGO's such as lifeboat, mountain rescue or cave rescue, others may be related to the armed services ratherb than the emergency services. All of them have a one priority to secure life and limb, and anything that puts people off from seeking help would not be welcomed.
They made a stupid decision that their property is more important than their lives. They had DAYS warning. There is no excuse. They should accept the consequences of their stupid decision. It's easier to help them leave before the hurricane comes than rescue them after it's already here.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Maybe they have no family to go to and don’t have money to evacuate. People who live in the path of hurricanes understand that they’re unpredictable. They could be heading your way and then at the last minute turn or weaken to the point that no evacuation was needed. Some people just don’t have the means to evacuate. Why is this so hard to understand?
Why don't you understand that they can call to be picked up and taken to a shelter. C'mon, they had days to go, it's not like a tornado.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As a hiker I remember a article in a magazine called Backpacker asking the same question. If you need to be rescued from breaking your leg, bit by a snake, etc. We all pay taxes too have someone to come up us if we get over our heads or stuck somewhere where the weather has turned bad. Now if you need a helicopter lift or something out of the norm, I would think that’s a different story.
The issue for this question is how much advanced warning they get with hurricanes. It's easier to get them out before the storm no matter who helps them.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM

352 posts, read 518,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The issue for this question is how much advanced warning they get with hurricanes. It's easier to get them out before the storm no matter who helps them.
It is, but its not that easy. You're assuming that the storm hits exactly where they predict it will days in advance, a lot of times those storms take last minute turns and go a completely different direction.

I know people that evacuated 2 different areas because this storm took a turn.

Some of these people are staying behind to not only protect their property, but also to stay with pets that are not allowed at shelters.

I don't think this is one of those "you had no excuse to not leave" situations.

We're talking hundreds of thousands of people being told to leave an area, you're never going to get 100% of those people to leave. We can beg and plead all we want to, but it's never going to happen.

Evacuating for days on end is expensive, no matter how you slice it.

As a society we get too wrapped up in blaming the victim, we fail to even try to understand why those people are in the situation they are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies