Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

How would you feel, if every time you drive through one of the 'safety' radar units in small towns and construction zones, that the DEA has installed license plate readers and is checking you out: https://qz.com/1400791/that-road-sig...lance-network/.

In that link they have concerns: “The technology is fairly simple, but as they start collecting more and more data and applying more and more algorithms to that, you can get information about people’s travel patterns, where their doctor’s office is, where they sleep at night, or put in the address of a place and see who visited it: an immigrant health clinic, a medical marijuana facility, or even a [marijuana] grow [operation] that would be completely legal under state law but illegal under federal law,” Maass said. “You could [link someone to] an abortion clinic, any number of sensitive locations.”

All of this collected data is linked to other agencies and it is really hard to tell what will happen in the future. There should be some concerns how far we will go at collecting information and what is the true purpose of that collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Its a complicated question. Do we have any right to privacy while wandering around in public? I mean that is literally what you are discussing here. And legally...we do not. You are in the public, and have no right to privacy there.

Really what you are touching on is that many people want privacy even of what we do in public on a regular basis because its WAY too easy to discover very private things based on our public activity.

And its a insanely tough question. Honestly I think eventually we will see something that goes too far. But its not there yet. Or at least people haven't realized it.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:16 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
How would you feel, if every time you drive through one of the 'safety' radar units in small towns and construction zones, that the DEA has installed license plate readers and is checking you out: https://qz.com/1400791/that-road-sig...lance-network/.

In that link they have concerns: “The technology is fairly simple, but as they start collecting more and more data and applying more and more algorithms to that, you can get information about people’s travel patterns, where their doctor’s office is, where they sleep at night, or put in the address of a place and see who visited it: an immigrant health clinic, a medical marijuana facility, or even a [marijuana] grow [operation] that would be completely legal under state law but illegal under federal law,” Maass said. “You could [link someone to] an abortion clinic, any number of sensitive locations.”

All of this collected data is linked to other agencies and it is really hard to tell what will happen in the future. There should be some concerns how far we will go at collecting information and what is the true purpose of that collection.
If it helps catch bad guys, I'm all for it.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
We would catch a LOT more bad guys if everyone had to wear a camera 24/7.....Just saying.

You'de be OK with that right?

Old 10-01-2018, 05:25 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
How do you feel about cavity searches?

Old 10-01-2018, 05:27 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How do you feel about cavity searches?
I didn't enjoy it, but if it helps keep drugs out of prison, I'm for it. I learned not to go back to prison, because bars and cavity searches are not something I'm fond of.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:27 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
You folks wanted a State. You got a State.

Enjoy.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:29 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Whenever I go shop at a store, they want my name, address, etc. When I tell them no, they act like I am the bi$ch of the century. Anyone under 30 doesn't understand what privacy even means. They are used to being tracked by their parents.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:29 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
I didn't enjoy it, but if it helps keep drugs out of prison, I'm for it. I learned not to go back to prison, because bars and cavity searches are not something I'm fond of.
What do you mean by learned?

Old 10-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:

lol. Something on topic at least. I suspect most of us will remain against them. And its not a fair question as our internals arent public.

I will presume you have a similar response though on my camera question based on this. And I have to say-most of us feel differently.

I liked Franklins quote though. Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies