Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 03:12 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,992,454 times

Advertisements

It seems like the economy is doing quite well, there's more jobs out there for more money. Wouldn't this be something that both parties would rally upon as being a sign that Americans are doing quite well? Who would actually be opposed to higher wages and more jobs? If you're opposed to this, please speak up on this post and let us know why. Thanks!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/us-w...t-15-2018.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 03:16 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,540,289 times
What an odd little post.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:18 PM

It seems that in times when Democrats are in power and jobs/wages go up, Repubs find a reason to fault that success. Vice versa with when times are good the other way around. Our economy is doing quite well and yet it seems there is still a lot of hatred for our successes. Is this due to folks wanting to just destroy our nation or is it a hatred of those in power or what?

Old 09-26-2018, 03:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
It seems like the economy is doing quite well, there's more jobs out there for more money. Wouldn't this be something that both parties would rally upon as being a sign that Americans are doing quite well? Who would actually be opposed to higher wages and more jobs? If you're opposed to this, please speak up on this post and let us know why. Thanks!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/us-w...t-15-2018.html
Except there isn't........

Productivity has tripled in the last few decades. Wages are stagnant. Retirement age is later. Some people can't ever retire. Benefits have gone south...as have union wages and benefits. Pensions have gone bye-bye and, until the ACA, the number without health insurance was off the charts.

If you would like to have a party for the following "improvements", then maybe I'll join you for a beer:

1. Higher debt and deficits...forever into the future....along with much higher interest rates (costs for these deficits and consumer debt, mortgages).

2. More and more for the top 10%, less for others. More and more for the top 1%.....any way you look at it.

3. Absolutely no change in the actual wages of the median income earners or lower classes.

Ready to party???

For most Americans, real wages have barely budged for decades | Pew Research Center

"today’s real average wage (that is, the wage after accounting for inflation) has about the same purchasing power it did 40 years ago. And what wage gains there have been have mostly flowed to the highest-paid tier of workers."

You really consider this something all Americans should celebrate??? Really?

Old 09-26-2018, 03:34 PM

I do yes. We are in a full blown recovery, one of the longest ones we've ever had in our history as a country. I know I'm making much more than I was ten years ago, and I certainly don't consider myself a highest-paid tier of worker. I barely made it out of high school.

As far as insurance, I'd say that the ACA was a big blow to most people's pocketbooks, I know I can't afford to pay the $9000 deductibles and so I just pay the fine and self-pay for Dr's visits. If I were to rack up a large hospital bill, well, I'd just let it ruin my credit I suppose.

Unions should re-allocate the wages of their top 1%'ers wages and advertising dollars and give it to the lowest wage earners that are under them.

Higher debt means more being dumped into the economy which means better wages and more jobs. Debt is make believe anyways. It's not like we could ever pay what's owed. Same with all countries.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:58 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,271,180 times
And then when the economy goes south like it always does every economic cycle, we lose what little gains we had.

Unfortunately our government is owned and paid for by the economic elite, so they want to keep the status quo as it is. Trump is only playing a dog and pony show for his supporters. After the show is over, Trump will walk away and pretend like he was a huge success and business as usual will go on. Nothing will change...which is exactly what they want.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
And then when the economy goes south like it always does every economic cycle, we lose what little gains we had.
Sure, there's an ebb and flow to things. Look at mortgage rates currently as an example. They are the highest they've been since 2011.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:15 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
The economy has been doing well for the top 1%, as it always has. That’s nothing new.

What’s the economy like for the bottom 99%? Not very good, especially for the bottom half of the 99%.

Sure, there are lots of jobs, which is good since many people need two or three of them to survive.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:19 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,148,290 times
Of course you're right that more better-paying jobs would be good for everyone. However, based on what I've read, it seems as though most of the new jobs available are actually lower-paying jobs, or part-time jobs.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that even though unemployment claims may be low, ever since the Bush administration (and including Obama's tenure), it's widely held that low unemployment it partly due to the fact that so many people have given up hope that they're no longer even looking for jobs.

As to the economy doing well, most of that "well" is being funneled right to those who are already wealthy.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Of course you're right that more better-paying jobs would be good for everyone. However, based on what I've read, it seems as though most of the new jobs available are actually lower-paying jobs, or part-time jobs.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that even though unemployment claims may be low, ever since the Bush administration (and including Obama's tenure), it's widely held that low unemployment it partly due to the fact that so many people have given up hope that they're no longer even looking for jobs.

As to the economy doing well, most of that "well" is being funneled right to those who are already wealthy.
So to sum up, you're saying that more jobs and higher wages is not happening and if it is, it's not a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies