Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 11:23 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
“person who left a firearm in a place where a prohibited person (someone who is prohibited from firearm possession under state or federal law) could potentially gain access to the firearm would be guilty of community endangerment, a class C felony, if a prohibited person gained access to the firearm. ”

Many teens hunt with friends and not adults. I started hunting alone about age 10 on the farm.
So this law would require a gun to be locked away from a teenager if the age to own is 21.
I still don't think that would prohibit teens from going hunting. If a group of 3 teens wanted to go out hunting together, and their parents said it was OK for them to do so, and let them use the family hunting rifles, then I don't see where that would be a problem under the proposed law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 11:31 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Looking at the language of the summary of the law, no, I would not vote in favor of it. People under 21 can certainly safely operate a handgun so I do not think it should be that restrictive.
https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I..._Measure_(2018)

That said, I notice it said people under 21 will not be allowed to purchase a handgun, but it doesn't say they will not be allowed to operate one. So if a 17-year-old wants to go hunting, he can just get his dad to buy it for him - which is probably what happens most of the time anyway.

IOW, the law, while even too restrictive for my tastes, is probably not as restrictive as you are making it out to be.
This sweeps up all firearms in the state, pistols and shotguns included, plus a state registry:

"While the following has been codified in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) regarding pistols, this measure would expand the law to include all firearms and semiautomatic assault rifles as well as pistols:[1]

If an applicant has an outstanding warrant for their arrest from any court for a felony or misdemeanor, a dealer must hold the delivery of pistols and semiautomatic assault rifles until the warrant is served and satisfied by a court appearance.
If a police chief or sheriff has reasonable grounds based on open criminal charges, pending criminal proceedings, or outstanding warrants, and if the records have not been reported or entered sufficiently to determine whether or not the person is eligible to purchase a firearm, the local jurisdiction or state may hold the sale and delivery of a firearm for up to thirty (30) days to verify records.
An applicant for the purchase of a firearm must sign and deliver an application to the dealer which includes the applicant's name, address, date of birth, race, gender, driver's license number or state ID number, a description of the firearm and manufacturer's number."

Old 09-30-2018, 11:36 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I...1639_full_text

Having difficulty copy/pasting from the full text but regarding the secure storage liability it says “...and causes personal injury/death with the firearm”

Old 09-30-2018, 11:37 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Looking at the language of the summary of the law, no, I would not vote in favor of it. People under 21 can certainly safely operate a handgun so I do not think it should be that restrictive.
https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I..._Measure_(2018)

That said, I notice it said people under 21 will not be allowed to purchase a handgun, but it doesn't say they will not be allowed to operate one. So if a 17-year-old wants to go hunting, he can just get his dad to buy it for him - which is probably what happens most of the time anyway.

IOW, the law, while even too restrictive for my tastes, is probably not as restrictive as you are making it out to be.
From the link:

Ballot summary
The ballot summary for this initiative is below:[2]

This measure would require increased background checks, firearm safety training, and waiting periods before semiautomatic assault rifles may be purchased or delivered. It would impose age limitations on who may purchase or possess certain firearms, including prohibiting firearm purchases by persons under age 21. It would require certain secured firearm storage or trigger-locks, and criminalize certain firearm storage if it results in unauthorized use. It would enact other firearm-related requirements, including certain warnings, recordkeeping, and fees. [3]

There is age restrictions written in on possession.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:42 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
From the link:

Ballot summary
The ballot summary for this initiative is below:[2]

This measure would require increased background checks, firearm safety training, and waiting periods before semiautomatic assault rifles may be purchased or delivered. It would impose age limitations on who may purchase or possess certain firearms, including prohibiting firearm purchases by persons under age 21. It would require certain secured firearm storage or trigger-locks, and criminalize certain firearm storage if it results in unauthorized use. It would enact other firearm-related requirements, including certain warnings, recordkeeping, and fees. [3]

There is age restrictions written in on possession.
So it would stop anyone under 21 from hunting.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So it would stop anyone under 21 from hunting.
No it absolutely would not.
https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I...1639_full_text

Old 09-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It says they could not possess a firearm.

"be at least twenty-one years of age to purchase or possess such weapons"

Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Eventually, all guns will be banned in the US. The government is already bloated and corrupt. The general public will live under under the worst tyranny anyone has seen in this country since 1776.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:55 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,541 times
How dumb does one have to be not to be able to tell the difference
between outlawing an act like murder and restricting a right?

Old 09-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Eventually, all guns will be banned in the US. The government is already bloated and corrupt. The general public will live under under the worst tyranny anyone has seen in this country since 1776.
There will be a lot of bloodshed first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies