Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:43 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
He lied under oath. But apparently that's now acceptable for a Supreme Court Justice.
Yes it must be since Dem Senators haven't said BOO about any lies he told under oath. You must know a lot more about what he said than the Senators on the committee. Good for you for being smarter than they are. Call Feinstein first thing in the morning and tell her you have critical information that they obviously missed.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Do you want a truthful unbiased impartial judge as a SC justice - or would you prefer a known liar and political partisan?

My entire issue with Kavanaugh is his inappropriate and unprofessional, biased, lacking in judicial temperament performance. Insubordinate rudeness to Amy Klobuchar was unacceptable. Attacks on Democrats, Clintons and conspiracy theories - frightening.

The man harbors hate, anger, and bias - and would be subject to recusal demands from attys on the wrong side of the political specturm.

Is THIS what you want on the bench?
Point of fact, he is not subordinate to Klobuchar. He was rude, I thought so too, and he apologized. Good enough.

As to the remaining, I see the new strategy for Democrats is out in force. If you all didn’t use the exact same phrasing, it would help you with at least looking like y’all aren’t parroting the latest talking points.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:45 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I would be more impressed if it was on something like an infrastructure bill but to play into the Democrats’ political ploy of delay, delay, delay, I’m not so forgiving of Flake.
Sorry, when you appoint someone for life, better safe than sorry

Old 09-30-2018, 10:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Fine, you want to play semantics? This is the official statement from her life long friend: She did not say she didn’t recall meeting Bret Kavanaugh, she very positively states she does not know Bret Kavanaugh. This was supposedly a party of 5 people.
I understand, and I will repeat: I do not recall specifics of parties I attended thirty-five years ago. That's the problem with this whole Kavanaugh/Ford debacle. It's just been way too long for any witnesses, other than the ones who were said to be in the room at the time, to be perfectly credible. Now, to be honest, I absolutely believe that Ford was assaulted, and I also believe that she is convinced that Kavanaugh was involved, but where things should go from here, I don't really know. That said, I think this situation has some important lessons for today's young people...
  1. Conduct matters, even in high school.
  2. Underage drinking is a mistake, and drinking to excess at any age is best avoided.
  3. Nobody, either female or male, should ever stay silent about a sexual assault.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Do you want a truthful unbiased impartial judge as a SC justice - or would you prefer a known liar (see above statement from Yale classmate) and a blatant political partisan?

My entire issue with Kavanaugh is his inappropriate and unprofessional, biased, lacking in judicial temperament performance.

His insubordinate rudeness to Amy Klobuchar was unacceptable.

Attacks on Democrats, Clintons and conspiracy theories - frightening.

The man harbors hate, anger, and bias - and would be subject to recusal demands from attys on the wrong side of the political specturm. He had a right to express his emotional angst at the scrutiny and allegations. But voicing his political bias and hatred was a bridge too far. No judicial impartiality in sight - anywhere.

Yes, it's exactly what I want on the bench given Democrats ruined his good name and perfect tract record in public service. You asked for it and you'll get it.
You can't ruin a good mans reputation and cause death threats against his family and expect him not to hold any kind of ill feelings towards you. If it turns out he's biased against Democrats, you deserve it and earned it. Live with it now.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Do you want a truthful unbiased impartial judge as a SC justice - or would you prefer a known liar (see above statement from Yale classmate) and a blatant political partisan?

My entire issue with Kavanaugh is his inappropriate and unprofessional, biased, lacking in judicial temperament performance.

His insubordinate rudeness to Amy Klobuchar was unacceptable.

Attacks on Democrats, Clintons and conspiracy theories - frightening.

The man harbors hate, anger, and bias - and would be subject to recusal demands from attys on the wrong side of the political specturm. He had a right to express his emotional angst at the scrutiny and allegations. But voicing his political bias and hatred was a bridge too far. No judicial impartiality in sight - anywhere.

We already have it. You think Ginsburg, Sotomayor and Kagan aren’t politically biased? Or Clarence Thomas and Gorsuch and Roberts? I think they get over the politics when they’re ruling on cases. It’s why lifetime appointments are crucial.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Riiiggghhhttttt. That’s what this is. Hold on, let me catch my breath from laughing. No. This is about Democrats not wanting to change the balance of the court and trying to delay until midterms. If it really was about concern, genuine concern, for Kavanaugh himself on the bench, Feinstein would have brought this up in closed session where they could have investigated and questioned while protecting anonymity. But no, she brought it up the day of the vote; further proof it was nothing but dirty politics. Flake was just too naive to not see through it.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Okay folks, the other Kavanaugh thread has gotten so large that it's hard for anyone to really continue a conversation or keep up with what's being discussed. So please, pick up here where the other left off.

We find ourselves at this point past the testimony of Dr. Ford and Judge Kavanaugh before the Senate Judiciary committee. The committee has now confirmed Kavanaugh on a party line vote 11-10 in favor of Kavanaugh. However, there has now been an FBI investigation opened up to look into sexual assault/lewd behavior claims against Judge Kavanaugh. This FBI probe is scheduled to go on for one week, at which time I suppose the FBI will present their findings, and then inevitably there will be a vote on Kavanaugh in the Senate. I believe this summation should be good enough to put you guys back on track as far as where the discussion is at this point. Please continue, and remember, be respectful to one another. We are not here to attack one another on a personal level. Debate the topics of discussion, and leave personal comments about one another out of it. We are here to discuss "Everything Kavanaugh", not other users.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-rundo...ett-kavanaugh/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Blasey_Ford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Kavanaugh

PS. I have included a few links about the scandal and the main players involved. Of course, I can not guarantee the accuracy of the Wikipedia links, but at a glance they seemed to do a pretty good job of giving anyone new to the story an idea of who we are talking about and what is going on.

Also, here is a link to old thread so that you folks can view the original poll or links that were provided in the original thread. Please do not bring any of the personal attacks and trolling that was going on over there to this thread. Clean slate here folks. Please stay on topic and be decent to one another.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ns-merged.html

Party on, GARTH!

Old 09-30-2018, 10:52 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:

Do you want a truthful unbiased impartial judge as a SC justice - or would you prefer a known liar (see above statement from Yale classmate)

www.city-data.com/forum/53239008-post251.html

and a blatant political partisan which Kavanaugh clearly revealed himself to be?

His insubordinate, disrespectful rudeness to Amy Klobuchar was unacceptable.

Biased attacks on Democrats, Clintons and conspiracy theories - frightening.

The man harbors hate, anger, and bias - and would be subject to recusal demands from attys on the wrong side of the political specturm.

He certainly had a right to express his emotional angst at the scrutiny and allegations.

But voicing his political bias and hatred was a bridge too far. No judicial impartiality in sight - anywhere.

Meh...having Kavanaugh on the court would at least start the process of balancing out the leftist bias of Notorious RBG. She's demonstrates little in the way of impartial judicial temperament, and she's far from a tee-totaler as well. These issues weren't the subject of any particular level of focus during her confirmation hearings, as I recall.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not to mention we are talking about the LAW - and our the top court in the land. There's a legal term for lying under oath - PERJURY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies