Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 17,994,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What does a lynched and rotting white man look like? What about a lynched and rotting red man, or yellow man?
It looks like a Halloween ghoul decoration to me.

IDK I have never seen pamphlets circulated by the KKK.
Where do you live that you see lynched and rotting bodies and KKK pamphlets?
I've seen photos of hanged white and hanged black men, fresh and rotting. Some of it was in my education, some of it was in my reading of the pre-civil rights era nonfiction, and true crime nonfiction.

I've seen Klan pamphlets first when I worked at a major university in the student services department, and we had to investigate who was putting the pamphlets in the dorm hallways. Since then, I've seen them online when I followed the Christian/Newsom murder case online, and you can not avoid those images if you're looking for local opinion.

Additionally, I've seen caricatures of black slave children and slave adults in pickaninny art because I'm a antiques/nostalgia store buff.

I watched the Eyes on the Prize produced by PBS several times.

And then recently, when I went and saw TheBlackKlansman movie.

If you honestly haven't seen these images, 2mares, your education in US history is lacking and might explain why you don't recognize the horrific historical implication of this display.

And just because you don't know what those images harken back to, doesn't mean you are right in saying this isn't horribly offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 17,994,810 times
I'm backing out here, now. I'm left to think there may be people in this conversation who really truly don't have full knowledge of US southern history in the 1920s-1970's, in which case, it might be educational for you to spend an hour googling lynchings.

If you do have a full knowledge of that and don't see that image reflected in this display, well, have a nice day.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,758,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm backing out here, now. I'm left to think there may be people in this conversation who really truly don't have full knowledge of US southern history in the 1920s-1970's, in which case, it might be educational for you to spend an hour googling lynchings.

If you do have a full knowledge of that and don't see that image reflected in this display, well, have a nice day.

I'm sorry so many ghouls and zombies couldn't get a fair shake back in the 20's-70's. But to be fair they wanted to eat our brains.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,571,143 times
Quote:

Clara, I think we have knowledge of that history. I would be the first to be offended if this were any other time during the year or if it was quite obviously a hanging of a person. But this isn't. It's Halloween. Maybe I'm biased because Halloween is my favorite holiday, but those mannequins are obviously zombies, not people.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:31 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
Quote:

why do I think that even if it was a skeleton, you would be debating that its a black skeleton

this was a Halloween display , not a racial display

Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,603,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why do I think that even if it was a skeleton, you would be debating that its a black skeleton

this was a Halloween display , not a racial display
If it were a White skeleton from a Black person (all bones are white) would that still not be allowed? Wait. I'm confused.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:43 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,357,160 times
Quote:

I truly believe its fake outrage do to our political climate (Trump being President, ergo, bitter upset Liberals) Yes, some people will find my perception differently, especially people from the left, but not exclusively. For decades, we've seen these similar types of Halloween decorations (hanging ghouls from trees) on peoples lawns (on private property - nobody's business) without anyone complaining, until now. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,142,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I truly believe its fake outrage do to our political climate (Trump being President, ergo, bitter upset Liberals) Yes, some people will find my perception differently, especially people from the left, but not exclusively. For decades, we've seen these similar types of Halloween decorations (hanging ghouls from trees) on peoples lawns (on private property - nobody's business) without anyone complaining, until now. Coincidence? I think not.
Some people want to be offended. They look for it. They live for it.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:46 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If it were a White skeleton from a Black person (all bones are white) would that still not be allowed? Wait. I'm confused.
if it were a skeleton, they'd be clamoring for the nasal aperture to be measured so they could prove it came from a black person.

and therefore, outrage.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:47 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
I've seen photos of hanged white and hanged black men, fresh and rotting. Some of it was in my education, some of it was in my reading of the pre-civil rights era nonfiction, and true crime nonfiction.

I've seen Klan pamphlets first when I worked at a major university in the student services department, and we had to investigate who was putting the pamphlets in the dorm hallways. Since then, I've seen them online when I followed the Christian/Newsom murder case online, and you can not avoid those images if you're looking for local opinion.

Additionally, I've seen caricatures of black slave children and slave adults in pickaninny art because I'm a antiques/nostalgia store buff.

I watched the Eyes on the Prize produced by PBS several times.

And then recently, when I went and saw TheBlackKlansman movie.

If you honestly haven't seen these images, 2mares, your education in US history is lacking and might explain why you don't recognize the horrific historical implication of this display.

And just because you don't know what those images harken back to, doesn't mean you are right in saying this isn't horribly offensive.

Its offensive to you because you want it to be. You have formed some connection in your mind to your obsession with the neo-slavery period and benign imagery.
Its Halloween. There is nothing racial about Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies