Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 06:07 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,150,536 times

Advertisements

Trump has been, overall, very lax about doing anything to bolster our cyber defenses. Dunno, maybe he wants to leave a lot of openings for Putin's team to disrupt the midterms.

Frustrated senators demand cyber war strategy from Trump
https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...egy-from-trump

Trump Doesn’t Understand Cyberwar
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...berwar/492446/

But he should probably think in broader terms, too. Personally, I've always thought that a more immediate problem would be the power grid, and the Times apparently thinks so, too.

Russian Hackers Appear to Shift Focus to U.S. Power Grid
By David E. Sanger

State-sponsored Russian hackers appear far more interested this year in demonstrating that they can disrupt the American electric utility grid than the midterm elections, according to United States intelligence officials and technology company executives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/27/u...lections-.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:32 PM

13,233 posts, read 21,853,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Trump has been, overall, very lax about doing anything to bolster our cyber defenses. Dunno, maybe he wants to leave a lot of openings for Putin's team to disrupt the midterms.
It certainly would appear that way. He's eliminated as many national cybersecurity experts as he can. Why? Maybe because the current threats can be traced back to him. I mean, why else would you want to eliminate the top cyber security official in the country in this day and age? Trump scraps cyber czar post after first appointee leaves: White House | Reuters

Old 10-09-2018, 08:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

Frustrated senators demand cyber war strategy from Trump
https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...egy-from-trump

Trump Doesn’t Understand Cyberwar
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...berwar/492446/

But he should probably think in broader terms, too. Personally, I've always thought that a more immediate problem would be the power grid, and the Times apparently thinks so, too.

Russian Hackers Appear to Shift Focus to U.S. Power Grid
By David E. Sanger

State-sponsored Russian hackers appear far more interested this year in demonstrating that they can disrupt the American electric utility grid than the midterm elections, according to United States intelligence officials and technology company executives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/27/u...lections-.html

Come on cut the guy some slack, after all, golfing and holding numerous rallies takes it's toll on a guy, and there are only so many hours in a day !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SItU_PMMeA

Gee, what happened to the man who "Was going to never leave the WH and was going to work his ass off "?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,152,315 times
People that know nothing about network security and end-to-end principals don't really have any business discussing this topic.

Tell me, OP. What do you actually think "cyber-security" means?

Old 10-09-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
People that know nothing about network security and end-to-end principals don't really have any business discussing this topic.

Nice attempt at a smoke-screen. You don't know need to know the ins and outs of network security and "end-to-end principals" (why don't you use the actual term of 'protocols'?) to understand the concepts of cyberwarfare, cyberespionage and cyberterrorism. I worked for many years developing network security software. You?

And what's that got to do with the Trump administration decommitting on cybersecurity? Do you deny it?

Old 10-09-2018, 09:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,402,706 times
Quote:

So? Me and what? 3 other people MAYBE who post here are the only ones allowed to discuss this? And me barely? Get real. This is a discussion board, if you know the topic better, then educate folks, otherwise maybe its you that shouldn't be posting here as you arent helping.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,152,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Nice attempt at a smoke-screen. You don't know need to know the ins and outs of network security and "end-to-end principals" (why don't you use the actual term of 'protocols'?) to understand the concepts of cyberwarfare, cyberespionage and cyberterrorism. I worked for many years developing network security software. You?

And what's that got to do with the Trump administration decommitting on cybersecurity? Do you deny it?
End-to-end isn't a protocol. It's a principal, just as I said. Some protocols, like TCP, are designed around the end-to-end principal. If you're going to attempt to correct someone, at least know what you're talking about first.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
End-to-end isn't a protocol. It's a principal, just as I said. Some protocols, like TCP, are designed around the end-to-end principal. If you're going to attempt to correct someone, at least know what you're talking about first.
Why are you trying to nit pick over terms instead of discussing the topic of the thread? Do you have anything useful to say about the subject?

Last edited by kdog; 10-10-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
I thought he was going to get Barron to deal with "cyber." Barron is remarkable at cyber, remember?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:40 AM

20,165 posts, read 9,065,378 times
Obama knew in 2014 the Russians were manipulating the 2016 election and did nothing. So it's Trump's fault? I suspect Obama was working with the Russians to get Hillary elected. Like just about everything else Obama did, it failed.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ference-241547

lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies