Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 04:47 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times

Advertisements

Wow. I heard this on the on the last half hour radio news.

I knew that his cancer had returned, but I didn't know that the treatment wasn't succeeding.

Condolences to his family (he had a sister, IIRC. Don't know if his parents are still alive. He never married, and I don't believe he had any kids).

I wonder what will happen with his philanthropic efforts?

To the Seattle Seahawks ?

To the Portland Trailblazers ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Even a billionaire can't buy off Death!

Old 10-15-2018, 05:21 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wow. I heard this on the on the last half hour radio news.

I knew that his cancer had returned, but I didn't know that the treatment wasn't succeeding.

Condolences to his family (he had a sister, IIRC. Don't know if his parents are still alive. He never married, and I don't believe he had any kids).

I wonder what will happen with his philanthropic efforts?

To the Seattle Seahawks ?

To the Portland Trailblazers ?
I'll be able to watch the Seahawks and Trailblazers again. When he announced recently that he was donating $100,000. to the Republicans, to help them maintain their majority in congress, I had to cross them off my viewing list. When I bought a copy of Windows 10, I was helping him destroy America.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
He was diagnosed with cancer in '82, he made it until today. That's not a bad job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post

Old 10-15-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'll be able to watch the Seahawks and Trailblazers again. When he announced recently that he was donating $100,000. to the Republicans, to help them maintain their majority in congress, I had to cross them off my viewing list. When I bought a copy of Windows 10, I was helping him destroy America.
Interesting.

I'm like that re certain candidates over the decades, but not any party.

Was his treatment not working given any local or regional media attention ?

If so, did any sports reporters have any insight re what will happen re ownership of his teams ?

Old 10-15-2018, 05:33 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:

It happened to Steve Jobs too. Even the liver transplant only got him a few years.

My condolences.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
He was diagnosed with cancer in '82, he made it until today. That's not a bad job.
After hearing the news on the radio, I looked at his Wikipedia entry, and apparently it first came back (non-Hodgkin when the cancer returned) in 2009. One of the risk factors listed for the latter is obesity. I don't know what his weight was, but whenever I saw media coverage of him, he seemed pretty chunky. But you're right...36 years is a long time. I know a 25+ year survivor, and he has been thin and health conscious all his adult life. On the other hand, one of my uncles was wealthy, but took terrible care of himself and barely made it past the 5 year mark.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I graduated from high school in the 70s. One of my best friends had a grandfather (his father's father) who was worth $150 million.

My friend's dad was an only child, and he managed one of the commercial properties they owned.

With my friend and each of his siblings, upon turning 18, their dad paid whatever taxes were applicable so that the after tax amount that they each received in an unrestricted account was $5 million (and their grandfather was still alive).

While we were in college, my friend got cancer.

I remember I was studying for a final, and I got a call from another close friend of ours telling me that he had died (I was 500 or so miles away). We were in our very early 20s. From what I understood, their wealth did afford some out of the ordinary treatment...but it didn't help.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:16 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
I think part of the point is he probably had the absolute best medical care available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
After hearing the news on the radio, I looked at his Wikipedia entry, and apparently it first came back (non-Hodgkin when the cancer returned) in 2009. One of the risk factors listed for the latter is obesity. I don't know what his weight was, but whenever I saw media coverage of him, he seemed pretty chunky. But you're right...36 years is a long time. I know a 25+ year survivor, and he has been thin and health conscious all his adult life. On the other hand, one of my uncles was wealthy, but took terrible care of himself and barely made it past the 5 year mark.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,449,948 times
Sorry to hear that. Godspeed to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies