Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is private property open for all to use, at will?
Yes 2 1.74%
No 113 98.26%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Using any kind of intoxicant is not being responsible. Want to fry your brain using intoxicants, feel free but I will step over the residual mess lying in the gutter without a second thought and laugh at the "responsible" person.
For most people who use of alcohol and drugs, ending up in some proverbial gutter, just isn't an issue.

For those that do, it's their life.

As a nanny stater, it makes sense that you seem to think you have a special understanding of what responsible means -your type are working hard to make the world a sterile, homogeneous place, where people are criminalized for the crime of being the owner of their own mind and body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Oh, hell no. What is "uncultivated" to someone else is my carefully stewarded forest. I'm the one paying property tax on it, and despite the fact that it looks wild, we select harvest some trees and control for pests.
<shrug> Don't buy forest in Norway or Sweden, then.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The question appears ridiculous on its face, so there must be some context associated with the reason you're asking it. Care to elaborate?
It's not ridiculous in China. It's the law. No private property.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We went all over England this year. In the northern farm country there was mile upon mile of open fields divided by hedgerows. There, anyone is allowed to cross anyone else’s land. The only rule is you must close the gate behind you.

I think that’s nice. I am not in favor of invading the privacy of property owners, but If I owned forested land, for example, I wouldn’t mind if someone wanted to walk through it.
Yah thats because all land belonged to the King...that's the UK concept of private property. It is yours, as long as you keep the king's favor.
The British people still have the mental attitude and temperament of the peasants they once were.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:08 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Yah thats because all land belonged to the King...that's the UK concept of private property. It is yours, as long as you keep the king's favor.
The British people still have the mental attitude and temperament of the peasants they once were.
Well except the poster you're replying to is mistaken, but don't let facts stand in the way of getting a good hate on.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Depends on the state, of course. Many states have "open beaches" laws that allow the public to use the beach up to the seaward vegetation line, or whatever marker may be set forth in said law.

There are not too many states that permit private beaches on the oceanfront. I can't think of any offhand, although there may be one or two that do.

Purchasers looking to acquire beachfront property in any given state should familiarize themselves with the pertinent statutes prior to closing.
I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any beaches in the US that allow "private beaches" past whatever marker. I know that some private gated communities in California, for example, make it very difficult for people to use "their" beach (no easy access), but if someone manages to walk over...or snorkel/or windsurf/or whatever they have the right to be on that beach up to a certain area.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:14 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. There is no recorded public use easement on the recorded property record.
Up until now you sort of evaded the question by just repeating your last sentence.
This time you've stated "No" you were not aware.

So this means you had absolutely no idea from any source whatsoever that this is and has been an ongoing issue?

Old 10-18-2018, 06:03 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any beaches in the US that allow "private beaches" past whatever marker.
That "marker" is usually the mean high water mark (19 year National Tidal Datum Epoch average), but in a few states (Virginia, Massachusetts, Delaware, Maine, Pennsylvania) it's the mean low water mark line. The bottom line is what's on your recorded plat of survey? It details the private property and any easements (such as utility). Note that in cities and suburbs which have such, the parkways (land between the sidewalks and the streets in front of each property) are usually owned by the local government and therefore not included in the plat of survey's boundary lines, and not taxed.

Quote:
I know that some private gated communities in California, for example, make it very difficult for people to use "their" beach (no easy access), but if someone manages to walk over...or snorkel/or windsurf/or whatever they have the right to be on that beach up to a certain area.
Exactly. Here's a list/map of public use easements, and properties that have no public use easements easements, for a section of California's coast:

http://scc.ca.gov/webmaster/ftp/mali...ccess-maps.pdf

Illustration of where those lines occur:

Difference between the publicly-owned and held in trust for public use part of the beach, and the privately owned (and therefore taxed as such) private property beach

Last edited by InformedConsent; 10-18-2018 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Added Delaware, Maine, and Pennsylvania to the few states where the public beach marker is the mean LOW water mark

Old 10-18-2018, 06:06 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Up until now you sort of evaded the question by just repeating your last sentence.
This time you've stated "No" you were not aware.

So this means you had absolutely no idea from any source whatsoever that this is and has been an ongoing issue?
No. And how would I? Even in very liberal California, private property boundaries are respected. You can't trespass on anyone else's privately owned property unless there's a public use easement of legal record. See the link in my prior post.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. And how would I? Even in very liberal California, private property boundaries are respected. You can't trespass on anyone else's privately owned property unless there's a public use easement of legal record. See the link in my prior post.
The 'how would I?" is answered by the fact that I don't own beach front but have read and/or heard about the issue for many years ...sort of a 'public knowledge" thing to many people in states with coastal property.

Sorry if that wasn't the case with you.
It is a problematic thing on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies