Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is private property open for all to use, at will?
Yes 2 1.74%
No 113 98.26%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

What say you all?

Backyards? Pools in backyards? Etc.? Community property, to be used by any and all at will? Or private property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 06:43 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
The question appears ridiculous on its face, so there must be some context associated with the reason you're asking it. Care to elaborate?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The question appears ridiculous on its face, so there must be some context associated with the reason you're asking it. Care to elaborate?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
I was going to say the same thing about context myself. Ordinarily, private property is just that, private. there have been cases in rural areas where if a pond or river is only accessible through private land, the land owner is supposed to set up a way to get to that pond or lake via their property. Also, I know of a cemetery here in my town much the same as that pond. You have t go through someone's yard to reach it. The cemetery is old and on the site of a church that has not been there I years, but the property owner still has to allow access.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:51 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Dry sand beach in a coastal state. According to all documentation, dry sand beach is privately owned up to the officially recognized mean high water mark in most states (19 year epoch), and up to the low water mark in some states (Virginia, etc.). Owners pay property tax on the land, are responsible for the maintenance, waste collection and disposal on the land, etc., but some municipalities insist that privately owned land is open for public use, at will.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
I'm not asking to be snarky, this is a sincere question. Since public use of the beach the state says you own, and you pay taxes on, is so upsetting to you I'm wondering why you don't move. I couldn't stay in a living situation that aggravated me for several months out of the year.

I'd be annoyed, as well, but that would prompt me to sell the place.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
We went all over England this year. In the northern farm country there was mile upon mile of open fields divided by hedgerows. There, anyone is allowed to cross anyone else’s land. The only rule is you must close the gate behind you.

I think that’s nice. I am not in favor of invading the privacy of property owners, but If I owned forested land, for example, I wouldn’t mind if someone wanted to walk through it.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Private land is yours... unless the government wants to eminent domain it for public use...

Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We went all over England this year. In the northern farm country there was mile upon mile of open fields divided by hedgerows. There, anyone is allowed to cross anyone else’s land. The only rule is you must close the gate behind you.

I think that’s nice. I am not in favor of invading the privacy of property owners, but If I owned forested land, for example, I wouldn’t mind if someone wanted to walk through it.
You'd mind if they were leaving behind trash, which the OP has complained about previously.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Dry sand beach in a coastal state. According to all documentation, dry sand beach is privately owned up to the officially recognized mean high water mark in most states (19 year epoch), and up to the low water mark in some states (Virginia, etc.). Owners pay property tax on the land, are responsible for the maintenance, waste collection and disposal on the land, etc., but some municipalities insist that privately owned land is open for public use, at will.

Fences and walls work well. Keeps the riff raft out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies