Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 12:19 PM

29,610 posts, read 9,827,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Some just for the Tricare and they're not soldiers, typically POGs, to gain an education in a specialty, say comms, or COMSEC to becoming a truck driver to any support cog in the machine. Not all soldiers are infantry.
Moving right along...

True that there are all manner of reasons people do what they do, including enlistment in the armed forces, but again you go on about education not really relevant to the fact that people do what they do driven by their emotions; about getting better educated (fear of being a dumbarse), learn a trade (for fear of being unemployed).

"Not all soldiers are infantry."

True again, because of their emotions -- desires -- to serve another way, accomplish other goals, whatever best serves their wants and desires.

Time my emotions are deciding I best be moving on to something more productive again today, because I WANT to! Just like I WANT Trump supporters to broaden their perspective about all this that Trump is doing as POTUS today. Not like most people don't care after all, so they debate about all this, argue, discuss what's happening. I also HOPE more Americans can do so in a fair, reasoned and intelligent way, because emotions, ego, do tend to get the better of us. Just about all of us, as most comments in these threads tend to make all too clear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 12:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,384,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
Hate to break the news to the OP, but if you are a conservative and you are spewing liberal or anti-President Trump rhetoric, you have switched parties. You are NOT a conversation and NOT a Republican.

If you are a Republican and your parties' guy just won, you shut your pie hole and back him 100% so he can have full support when trying to do his job.

If you are a Democrat, and your guy just lost, you also shut your pie hole and back the new President 100% so he can do his job FOR ALL AMERICANS.

Whining and bellyaching are for bad losers. Didn't your Mommies and daddies teach you that? or didn't you learn that on the play ground when you were in grade school?
Party before country, or ideology. Sigh

Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM

8,523 posts, read 3,374,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
Hate to break the news to the OP, but if you are a conservative and you are spewing liberal or anti-President Trump rhetoric, you have switched parties. You are NOT a conversation and NOT a Republican.

If you are a Republican and your parties' guy just won, you shut your pie hole and back him 100% so he can have full support when trying to do his job.

If you are a Democrat, and your guy just lost, you also shut your pie hole and back the new President 100% so he can do his job FOR ALL AMERICANS.

Whining and bellyaching are for bad losers. Didn't your Mommies and daddies teach you that? or didn't you learn that on the play ground when you were in grade school?
So Americans are supposed to keep their pie holes shut except perhaps when at the ballot box. And fall in like good little soldiers. Interesting idea, that.

Then, of course, even the ballot box no longer appears to be sacrosanct with talk of various Russian initiatives to influence elections.

What's an individual to do these days without being accused of "whining and belching" or TDS syndrome.

Now for the bold, I might agree with your sentiment. But I find it terribly ironic for I don't know that I've ever heard a President spout so avidly partisan rhetoric post-election. On to the next rally ...

Old 10-20-2018, 12:47 PM

8,523 posts, read 3,374,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I'm a conservative and I didn't vote for Trump last time. The right will not have a candidate to challenge him - it would be political suicide.

The way the left have acted over the last 2 years, there's no way I could vote for any of them either.

Emotions also lead them to become violent because they abandon critical thought. Emotions lead to reactions which lead to bad decisions.

Emotions can be good and/or bad. Critical thought is always good because it's based on reason. Emotions are the polar opposite of reason.
Just now cherry-picking my way through this thread and this caught my eye. Bad decisions result from numerous factors, one of which is over-generalization.

Because the "left" who consists (in part, in whole?) of a "them" (and who might this be?) become violent (in what numbers?) they are to be feared. Gently, can I suggest that this level of over-generalization does not constitute what I consider critical thought?

Still, I agree with you that critical thought and the ability to engage in it is a desirable trait in a POTUS.

Me, I prefer my disastrous Presidential decisions (and there have been many in the past with no doubt more to come in the future) be made after the decider-in-chief at least reads the bloody briefing book. Easier to live - in a moral sense, that is - with the wreckage.

Kind of like "trying your best," which admittedly is an emotional take.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:31 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,050,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
On the Trump train or too afraid and spineless to argue we can do better? I mean..., let's not forget what we all think of politicians in general. Not like we're now going to begin believing that McConnell, Cruz and Graham have suddenly "seen the light" when really they're just feeling the heat, and going with whatever will keep them in office above all else.
That's just it...so far, there is no "better". You say you want an answer besides the tired "lesser of evils".... well, sorry that's tired and/or not what you want to hear. If politicians had better, they'd offer it up - from either side. Don't have to like or even support the guy; I can support a lot of what he's done so far & still shake my head when his tweets are damn foolish. Give us better, we'll vote better. As it stands now, I have no issue voting for Trump 2020. And for the first time in over 35 years of voting, I wiil vote the midterms for a straight Republican ticket. Never, ever thought I would do that. I will remain unaffiliated with any party, but will refuse to cast a vote in favor of the left.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:40 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,243,045 times
Politics is about pragmatism, not just ideals.

Smart people understand this and that's why they vote for Trump, whether or not they like him or whether he fits the mold of past Presidents. Ultimately its about results, because at the end of the day someone either has the personality to fight for their beliefs and risk being unpopular or they don't.

Trump doesn't care if the lefties don't like him. And it doesn't matter if they do or not. He's got a job to do. And the POTUS frankly should NOT give a damn if the people like him, especially should not attempt to alter his policies because of objections from the whiners. He has a job to do, and that job is putting America first and faithfully executing the laws passed by Congress; a simple task, but one that our last President was unable or unwilling to do.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:47 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,446,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Politics is about pragmatism, not just ideals.

Smart people understand this and that's why they vote for Trump, whether or not they like him or whether he fits the mold of past Presidents. Ultimately its about results, because at the end of the day someone either has the personality to fight for their beliefs and risk being unpopular or they don't.

Trump doesn't care if the lefties don't like him. And it doesn't matter if they do or not. He's got a job to do. And the POTUS frankly should NOT give a damn if the people like him, especially should not attempt to alter his policies because of objections from the whiners. He has a job to do, and that job is putting America first and faithfully executing the laws passed by Congress; a simple task, but one that our last President was unable or unwilling to do.
Yes. Obama was blocked by a Republican congress.
The party of obstruction.
When democrats take the seats they will be the party of investigation...a crime has been commited and democrats don't follow rule by kavenaugh procedure.

You dont live an breath road show if you don't care if youre liked. Thats all trump react s to. Someone tries to debate him and he always makes it personal. He doesn't have the ability to hold down any job. His ideals are trump president for life. Family fed off the american taxpayor for life. That's the extent of his policies.
Who s living off who?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 AM

318 posts, read 468,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
So Americans are supposed to keep their pie holes shut except perhaps when at the ballot box. And fall in like good little soldiers. Interesting idea, that.

Then, of course, even the ballot box no longer appears to be sacrosanct with talk of various Russian initiatives to influence elections.

What's an individual to do these days without being accused of "whining and belching" or TDS syndrome.

Now for the bold, I might agree with your sentiment. But I find it terribly ironic for I don't know that I've ever heard a President spout so avidly partisan rhetoric post-election. On to the next rally ...
Hardly the case.

United we stand, divided we fall.

As a conservative, I shut up when Odumbo won. Didn't say anything against him, and just said to anyone I encountered who supported him, "I hope he does a good job." That's it. I like how you criticize President Trump. What about Mad Maxine and all of the others ******* crazies attacking Republican Cabinet members at restaurants, on the street? That's A-OK right? Politics became personal. And Trump is at fault?!?!

Last edited by Turbogyrl; 10-21-2018 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 10:32 AM

17,454 posts, read 12,403,757 times
A President should be(or should act) independent. That is the top role of the executive branch. Just there to enforce the laws set out by the legislature, not have public opinions on it.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:59 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,642,266 times
Aside from the fact that Trump easily the best president in decades, the Republicans didn’t have a single viable candidate in 2016 to challenge Trump. Every one of them would have lost bigly even to Hill Dog. Do they really think Rubio or that guy from Ohio would have one? Doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies