Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 03:25 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I can pick at least a few who were on that stage of Republicans competing for the nomination with Trump that I would pick LONG before I would pick Trump, all considered. Your premise that there is no one better than Trump on the GOP side is just wrong, though now so many are fearful of Trump and his base, I have to wonder about their character as well. Politics being what it is, however, the best man or woman doesn't always win...
My premise was not at all what you have interpreted. I quite possibly would have voted for the candidate on the left if it had not been Hillary. Once again, you hear what you want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I really don't think Trump actually expected or even wanted to win.
I agree.

Quote:
What he wanted was a show on Fox News to promote his ideology and he likely would have got it had he lost the election.
Nah.

I think he mainly wanted three things (in no particular order of importance/significance):

1. To get back at/stress out a bit/upset a bit Obama for Obama's comments about him at the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner.

2. To 'build his brand' in an overall sense (but not with a show on Fox as part of that).

3. To be able to publicly whine that "the system is rigged" until his dying day.

_____

A fourth (but lesser, IMO) reason might have been wanting to do something his father didn't do.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I've got to sign off now. Perhaps I'll have more time to waste here tomorrow, but until then I sure wish I could believe in that "bridge out ahead." Instead I think it's a mirage at best, that only Trump supporters seem able to imagine and more than willing, something like that great wall Mexico was going to pay for and that great health care system better than any we'd seen before...

Cheers!
If you think it is a waste, why do it at all ?

Old 10-21-2018, 04:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
So you are now in President Trump's head?

How do YOU know he didn't mean it? How do YOU know he didn't want to try and fix it?

So you now continue to trounce him when his intentions were obviously good. Love it, everyone is so quick to rip him to shreds, including his own party members.
Well, it's hard to fix things when you DON'T HAVE A PLAN.

Trump thought he could just snap his fingers and 'fix healthcare'.

Who knew healthcare was SO HARD?

I guarantee you Trump didn't have a plan because he never put one forward.

He lied.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, it's hard to fix things when you DON'T HAVE A PLAN.

Trump thought he could just snap his fingers and 'fix healthcare'.

Who knew healthcare was SO HARD?

I guarantee you Trump didn't have a plan because he never put one forward.

He lied.
I agree with the bolded.

There are a group of similar sayings...one being 'don't write a check that your mouth can't cash'.

I think Trump figured he could say whatever he wanted to say and never have to deliver/would never get called out re what he said....because he didn't think he would win.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:34 PM

16,614 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm the only one totally bored with all the comments from the usual characters either very pro-Trump or against and maybe there is nothing better to hope for, but I wonder if there are conservatives out there who are NOT so crazy supportive of Trump and willing to explain why, besides the tired "worst of evils" reason.

Are there any conservatives who would NOT vote for Trump the next time around, and/or is there any GOP candidate they would prefer instead? Why? I'm curious what the future of the GOP may be. It seems now the party of Trump, but is Trump a temporary GOP anomaly?

What will prove very interesting come 2020 is who from the GOP will compete with Trump for POTUS, and what might we hear from them that will make a difference this time around?
Rest assured no president is perfect, and even those ideologically aligned with a particular president might have preferred someone else.
That said, I doubt many ideological conservatives will vote for someone else besides Trump in 2020, unless he shifts his policies dramatically.
That is especially true of social conservatives, not just fiscal ones.
I say this because he has delivered on many of his promises to the conservatives, from picking a very conservative VP, to doing what he said with nominating conservative federal judges, cutting taxes, cutting regulations, getting tough on immigration, exposing the media for the leftist they are, etc., etc., etc.

Granted some do not like his style or not following a certain decorum, but for the most part he has delivered and then some.
Frankly, I do not think any of the others who ran against him in 2016 would have delivered as much this soon.
Sure Trump is not perfect and does some things that make conservatives cringe (i.e. having Kanye cursing in the WH), but with this strong economy, he has delivered much of what he has promised, and would be that much further ahead if not for the total obstruction of the Democrats and the media.

`

Old 10-21-2018, 05:17 PM

1,279 posts, read 854,395 times
I didn't vote for Trump in 2016 and don't plan to in 2020, despite voting for Republicans for pretty much every single office in every single election for my whole voting life. I'll vote for Bill Weld (hopefully the Libertarian candidate) since I switched over to Libertarian and am thus not a Republican anymore.

I don't see the GOP reverting to its former self; maybe it'll revert back somewhat, but the "deplorables" are in charge, unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You either love Trump or you hate Trump. There is no middle ground.

And the people who hate Trump are almost entirely liberal, whether they like to admit it or not.
List of Republicans who opposed the Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016

"This is a list of Anti-Trump or Never Trump Republicans and conservatives who announced their opposition to the election of Donald Trump, the 2016 Republican Party nominee and eventual winner of the election, as the President of the United States. "

Is there such a thing as a liberal Republican? Just asking ...

Every since I have ever known of a Donald Trump, I never thought him to be a person of good character. He is a jerk, that just grew bigger.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Ofcourse prominent Republicans hate Trump... He's not a politician.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:15 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ofcourse prominent Republicans hate Trump... He's not a politician.
And they're not liberal. Maybe they're closet liberals ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies