Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Because a poem on a statue and song lyrics should shape the laws of our land. The hell with our current laws, we need new laws. Laws that come from poems and songs and puppies and rainbows and sunshine.

Maybe someone can point out the law or resolution or referendum where the people elected to put that on the statue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe someone can point out the law or resolution or referendum where the people elected to put that on the statue?
I'm sure kdog can help you with that.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So what's the problem with these new ones? On what basis would you claim that the vast majority of these people aren't legitimate asylum seekers? Because Trump said so?
Are you new?

They were offered asylum by Mexico and turned it down.

Ergo...it waren't asylum they were after, Skippy.

That makes them lying liars, champ.

I am by no means a Trump fan, but I'm glad someone finally cares about the border.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:55 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Translation: "We're across, burn the bridge".
No the translation is.

Its a poem not a lot, not part of our constitution.
Times change as do the needs of the nation. Our immigration should, like everyone else be based upon the needs of (our) nation and not what others think would be a nice gesture. WE already allow more immigration than anyone else. Enough already. Charity begins at home.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It's all well and good to be compassionate, but I heard a very credible Border Patrol person on CNN tonight saying the younger males were using the women and children as human shields to discourage use of tear gas. It didn't work and it shouldn't.

These people are presumably fleeing lawlessness. So, why is breaking the law of the country you wish to enter OK now?

Based on the comments and behaviour of many members of these caravans indicate that they are the cause not the victim of the conditions in their sh#thole countries.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You know, like "If I had a hammer...."

Because a poem on a statue and song lyrics should shape the laws of our land. The hell with our current laws, we need new laws. Laws that come from poems and songs and puppies and rainbows and sunshine.

And we'll take in the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free....all while ignoring the homeless on our streets, the poor, and the tired who are already citizens.

You're like Comcast. They give zip to loyal customers who have been with them for 20 years and $200 gift cards to new customers.
You can call up Comcast and renegotiate your rate with them. We do it every year. Like everything else, it's a matter of perspective.

Listen to Caravan members, for the most part they just want to work and have normal safe lives. You know, like our ancestors did.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Based on the comments and behaviour of many members of these caravans indicate that they are the cause not the victim of the conditions in their sh#thole countries.
So you're OK with taking the other ones then.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
You can call up Comcast and renegotiate your rate with them. We do it every year. Like everything else, it's a matter of perspective.

Listen to Caravan members, for the most part they just want to work and have normal safe lives. You know, like our ancestors did.
I know, I've done it myself. The only problem is, they still don't give the loyal customers the best deals and a $200 gift card.

I'd prefer we listen to Americans out on the streets or living in poverty who just want to work and live safe normal lives. You know, like all Americans should be able to do.

Where is the compassion for them? We cannot take care of our own, you want to put an even bigger burden on our backs so more people end up homeless?

And you don't see anything wrong with this thinking?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It leads me to suspect that my idea was right, that Trump was only using it as a contrived way to whip people into a frenzy over something minor. Maybe to keep people from discussing serious things like climate and healthcare.
Maybe CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS. They don't want you to see the truth.
Breaching the border is the hot topic on the interweb.
FOX has not toned it down.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Trump's approval ratings are lower. Midterms shifted power to checks and balances. People are paying close attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies