Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,604,576 times

Advertisements

What terrible end to a decent sport. Players are now getting in fights on the field over the other players not kneeling during the anthem: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...m-Jenkins.html

Between head injuries and this garbage the sport’s days are numbered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
Goodell is to blame. He should have kicked Kaepernick out of the league and banned him forever the first time he kneeled. And any player who did it after.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
It was two players who were active in the kneeling movement, Reid, and Jenkins. Reid called Jenkins a sell out to his face on the field during the coin toss as Jenkins cut a deal with the NFL to get money for his social justice organization. Jenkins responded, and a fight almost broke out. Later during the game Reid had a late hit on the Eagles quarterback, and Zach Ertz went to get in Reid's face about it, and was body slammed by Reid. Reid seems to be a punk, and a thug.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,230,302 times
My opinion is this is a stupid sport played by stupid people, watched by stupid people...so what do you expect? Truly is there anything more ridiculous and pointless than grown men playing with a ball?

Old 10-21-2018, 11:02 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,620,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
My opinion is this is a stupid sport played by stupid people, watched by stupid people...so what do you expect? Truly is there anything more ridiculous and pointless than grown men playing with a ball?
I agree...I wouldnt pay $5. to go watch a bunch of millionaires chase a ball around a field for 2 hours!

Its a distraction...something to keep the masses occupied/ entertained.

I tried playing football, basketball and baseball as a kid...hated them all, eventually I found what I was good at, BMX racing ( I wish I had stuck with that sport now that Im older).

Old 10-22-2018, 12:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,230,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree...I wouldnt pay $5. to go watch a bunch of millionaires chase a ball around a field for 2 hours!

Its a distraction...something to keep the masses occupied/ entertained.

I tried playing football, basketball and baseball as a kid...hated them all, eventually I found what I was good at, BMX racing ( I wish I had stuck with that sport now that Im older).
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with sports. It is just a waste of time to be a spectator.

I played football as a kid, also soccer and baseball. But I'm an adult - I don't do the things I did to entertain myself as a child. Those are games to entertain children. It isn't something adults should be doing.

Unfortunately the obsession with pointless activity is the hallmark of the erosion of human civilization. To reverse it, we'd need to see a society where people fill their "free time" with the pursuit and acquisition of knowledge and intellectual and artistic skills. Something that has utility, that can advance humanity.

Professional sports is like civilizational masturbation. Like reality television. Its content appropriate for a low people. Its one notch above the gladiators at the Colosseum. It doesn't get humans any closer to anything that might be called "the next level".

Old 10-22-2018, 01:12 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,122,400 times
Back on topic, when has fighting not happened in sports?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:13 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,122,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I don't really care to watch football.. But is there anything dumber than life existing? I mean why?

Point is, people love what they love man. Trust me, reveal what you love and we're gonna roast you for it..

Can't blame some family and friends for looking forward to watch a game of football with a beer after a long work week.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:29 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,885,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I don't really care to watch football.. But is there anything dumber than life existing? I mean why?

Point is, people love what they love man. Trust me, reveal what you love and we're gonna roast you for it..

Can't blame some family and friends for looking forward to watch a game of football with a beer after a long work week.
The thing is kneeling at a spectator sport to highlight your outgroup status kind of defeats the whole premise for being a loyal fan. They turned it from one team playing against another into some of the team playing against the country.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 AM

17,013 posts, read 12,607,565 times
In the end winning is the only thing that matters. Thusly the players will do whatever they want until the cost to the owners is greater than the loss. The owners only care about money and winning is money. They do not care about anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies