Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:50 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

This is what the left wanted from the get-go, to destroy American football. Too masculine, too aggressive, too much testosterone. They want everything to be PC. If they had their way, they only games we'd be allowed to enjoy would be cycling & chess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 01:57 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
This is what the left wanted from the get-go, to destroy American football. Too masculine, too aggressive, too much testosterone. They want everything to be PC. If they had their way, they only games we'd be allowed to enjoy would be cycling & chess.
Agree to a point. The NFL is a cash cow, and a lot of those making money are Leftists. In their zeal to attract women, they are making the game "less violent", and also to avoid more law suits, and huge payouts for concussions. But, yes, the Left hates the "maleness" and aggressiveness of the game. The Skinny Jean, Non Fat, Decaf, Latte crowd that is becoming more the norm for Men, are not usually fans.

Now we see that the kneeling, and fist raising was largely about MONEY, and Twitter followers. These players are desperate to "raise their brand" for endorsement contracts, and other reasons. Malcolm Jenkins successfully EXTORTED money out of the NFL for his social justice organization in return for not kneeling anymore. Reid, called him out about it on the field. Mayhem ensued. Good! Let the Left eat their own over money, and jealousy.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Um, right winged individuals do not exactly dominate in professional sports, and the fan base is pretty evenly mixed.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with sports. It is just a waste of time to be a spectator.

I played football as a kid, also soccer and baseball. But I'm an adult - I don't do the things I did to entertain myself as a child. Those are games to entertain children. It isn't something adults should be doing.

Unfortunately the obsession with pointless activity is the hallmark of the erosion of human civilization. To reverse it, we'd need to see a society where people fill their "free time" with the pursuit and acquisition of knowledge and intellectual and artistic skills. Something that has utility, that can advance humanity.

Professional sports is like civilizational masturbation. Like reality television. Its content appropriate for a low people. Its one notch above the gladiators at the Colosseum. It doesn't get humans any closer to anything that might be called "the next level".
Very well said! My thoughts exactly. A waste of time at best, and a distraction from far more important issues that desparately need our attention at worst.
I've thought for years now, our society and our culture is in decline, and while our preoccupation with sport isn't a cause, it sure as heck is an obvious symptom of our decline.

Hard to fight it with so many oblivious people running around....so might as well enjoy the ride down and stop banging your head against the wall.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:35 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
I would say the doctors are destroying football, all that whining about head injuries man up and give up your brains.

I see where an offensive lineman with the Baltimore Ravens recently quit, he had a PhD in Applied Science and didn't want to risk injury.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:56 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
If you read "Anthem" you'd think about it.

"The story takes place at an unspecified future date when mankind has entered another Dark Age. Technological advancement is now carefully planned and the concept of individuality has been eliminated."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthem_(novella)

Old 10-22-2018, 04:58 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Somehing Kaepernick and his buddies should remember: they are not paying to protest while you are on the job.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Stopped watching these overpaid crybabies long ago.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:14 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Show of hands: How many of those complaining about the NFL here can honestly say they've watched NO football this season?
I've watched plenty of college ball, but I haven't watched a single pro game in almost two years.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
I had to leave when it was 17-0 Philadelphia bummed out that the Pantehrs were losing and looking so badly doing it. When I came back, they were about to score the go ahead touchdown. Go Panthers. I'm one of those stupid football fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies