Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 01:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

Please dont tell us about how you hated X. blah blah blah. Instead lets have a more fascinating discussion. What ballot measure did you really agonize over, or have to really think on?

For me? We have a measure that will allow our state government to fund abortions through insurance. You would think this would be a easy choice right? Im pro-abortion. (lets not debate the merits of abortion here ok folks?). But here is the thing. The people that are anti-abortion feel insanely strongly about this. And I have issues in making them fund this because of the strength of their feelings. Sure I feel abortion is fine as it is, but making them pay for it? I dunno. While I don't mind much either way on the paying issue-although I prefer that government insurance plans over it, to many of my fellow citizens this is a massive thing.

In the end, it was hard. But recent events show me that the long held peace we had where abortions were legal, but government funding was not allowed has come to a end. The other side is no longer interested in respecting my strongly held beliefs that this should be legal. And they've gone to extreme lengths to get their way enforced if at all possible. I'm going to vote for it. But dang this one I really struggled with.

So how about you folks? What measures have you struggled with on your ballots? And why?

Last edited by greywar; 10-30-2018 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Good question.

We always have lots of ballot measures here in WA. For me it is usually not a tough choice. I vote no if I have doubts.

My rule is that I read the entire measure before a yes vote. And since the pros are taking over the game, some of them are getting to be very long (30+ pages) and filled with legalese.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please dont tell us about how you hated X. blah blah blah. Instead lets have a more fascinating discussion. What ballot measure did you really agonize over, or have to really think on?

For me? We have a measure that will allow our state government to fund abortions through insurance. You would think this would be a easy choice right? Im pro-abortion. (lets not debate the merits of abortion here ok folks?). But here is the thing. The people that are anti-abortion feel insanely strongly about this. And I have issues in making them fund this because of the strength of their feelings. Sure I feel abortion is fine as it is, but making them pay for it? I dunno. While I don't mind much either way on the paying issue-although I prefer that government insurance plans over it, to many of my fellow citizens this is a massive thing.

In the end, it was hard. But recent events show me that the long held peace we had where abortions were legal, but government funding was not allowed has come to a end. The other side is no longer interested in respecting my strongly held beliefs that this should be legal. And they've gone to extreme lengths to get their way enforced if at all possible. I'm going to vote for it. But dang this one I really struggled with.

So how about you folks? What measures have you struggled with on your ballots? And why?
Proud and disappointed in you at the same time.

You initially realized that voting is force and felt the immorality of doing so but in the end you did it anyway.

It's a start which I guess is good...but you've got a long way to go.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
since all the ballot measures here were crap ones to begin with, there was no agony over voting no on every one of them.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:39 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Proposition 112 here in Colorado. It will make it mandatory that any new drilling sites will have to be at least 2,500 feet away from occupied structures which sounds like the responsible thing to vote yes on but according to those against the proposition it will cost jobs and a lot of money in the long run. Any existing sites would be grandfathered in. Currently the drilling sites only have to be 500 feet away from structures. The oil and gas industry employs a lot of people here and I know a quite a few people that work in it. I will be voting no in support of them.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:47 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times
It isn't a proposition on our current ballot, but there was on several years ago to increase the school funding and other aspects to give more money to the schools.

Now don't get me wrong I voted no for this not because I am against students getting more money. But years before that the Virginia Lottery Commission had gotten approval for the state lottery but indicating that a percentage of the state's lottery funds would go to education if the lottery was approved.

It was approved and so instead of the money going to education like promised; the state instead kept the money and balanced the budget.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
It isn't a proposition on our current ballot, but there was on several years ago to increase the school funding and other aspects to give more money to the schools.

Now don't get me wrong I voted no for this not because I am against students getting more money. But years before that the Virginia Lottery Commission had gotten approval for the state lottery but indicating that a percentage of the state's lottery funds would go to education if the lottery was approved.

It was approved and so instead of the money going to education like promised; the state instead kept the money and balanced the budget.
I've also seen the whole "give us money to help with this" only to have them move money out of that into something else....leaving the thing you thought you were voting to help in the exact same place, while they fund something else.

Its very very frustrating. And then they wonder why we wont vote for things like that.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:33 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
since all the ballot measures here were crap ones to begin with, there was no agony over voting no on every one of them.

Aren't a lot of ballots measures already lame for a lot of elections?

Old 10-30-2018, 08:46 PM

41,972 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I often have trouble with school levies. I rarely voted against one until I moved into the city of Cincinnati, which for years had been mismanaging funds. The struggle was: Do I approve giving the board more money to mismanage (even though I voted against every incumbent running for school board) by voting yes, or do I punish the kids and risk their education by voting no?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:21 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
ONe major issue here in Louisiana is whether we should move to unanimous jury verdicts for felony cases. Louisiana is currently one of 2 states where 10 out of 12 jurors is enough to find a defendant guilty in a criminal trial. This has its roots in the French Napoleonic code but there are efforts to make the justice system here more like the rest of the nation.

Another issue is term limits in my local government. I'm kind of against term limits because I live in a highly Republican parish with a lot of incumbents that have been there a long time. I'm concerned if they are limited by term limits, the GOP may have to run a weaker candidate. While in the foreseeable future Livingston Parish will be safely Republican, there are some newcomers from the inner city who tend to vote Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies