Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Lots of voters went Dem because of their anti-Trump views but they are hardly card-carrying Democrats. One problem the Dems seem to have is their reliance on their old messages and leaders. While I don't have overtly negative feelings about Pelosi, I think the Dems need new leadership without historic baggage. If they really want to win in 2020 they need some new leaders.
Oprah - 2020!

Actually I am expecting Oprah vs. Kane West.

Don't disappoint me, it will be incredibly amusing.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:08 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Lots of voters went Dem because of their anti-Trump views but they are hardly card-carrying Democrats. One problem the Dems seem to have is their reliance on their old messages and leaders. While I don't have overtly negative feelings about Pelosi, I think the Dems need new leadership without historic baggage. If they really want to win in 2020 they need some new leaders.
It's worth noting that while Obama, Oprah and a few other Democrats tore through Florida and Georgia campaigning, they won nothing.
Dems need new faces.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
She needs to go, but I doubt the Democrats will have the gut to go through. But at least she’s a known person that Trump and McConnell know how to deal with Maxine Waters also need to go.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
No new people?

I can hear them saying we need a 100% Federal taxrate so all poor people will take welfare and Medicaid,

And PLENTY of rich people who will just spend 100 hours a week away from kin busting their chops to give Uncle Sam all their money because they are just undeserving “greedy rich people”.
Yep, when maxipad gets on a rant, it will be better than any movie. Get the popcorn ready.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Aside from the shaming from the GOP that Pelosi would get, she would be in charge qualification-wise... She has experience and can work with her caucus to get a moderately liberal agenda through the chamber. (i.e. instead of pushing for a Sanders-style $15 min wage, she would gradually ask for a $10-11 minimum wage to be phased in)

Add the publicity into it, then it becomes a mixed bag.

I'm going with the bag too !!! The lying wind bag !!!

When Pelosi promises transparency you know more bills are coming that have to be passed before we know whats in them.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
A Democrat!

Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Well......

Some of those Democrats will be mad as hell when they discover that Pelosi won't let any impeachment or investigations of Trump move forward.
As well they should not. I am not a huge fan of hers but she was partially responsible for the success the dems had in house elections last night.

IMO the dems should not open lots of investigations and for sure not do anything that looks like impeachment. The first thing they should do is put together a bill that gives money to a wall, a path to citizenship for daca, and comprehensive immigration reforms. Then send that to the senate and watch it get shot down by repugs who want to please their base. Then they need to do that over and over. What will happen then is that borderline trumpeters will see that repugs have no interest in governance only on power, then 2020 will play right into our hands.

Remember some of the states trump won by very narrow margins flipped blue last night. The votes are there, we just need to provide leadership and stop the tit for tat with morons. We will never erode trumps base, so ignore it and move on.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Every credible source seems to insist that it will be Nancy Pelosi. This seems extremely unwise. The Democrats new blood, new faces for the party and new ideas. I for one wouldn't mind seeing them do better, and letting go of the past is a step towards that.

Why Nancy Pelosi? What's the upside?
The same reasons her peers have been electing her to leadership positions for years -

She’s gifted at dealmaking and coalition-building

She’s a fund-raising machine

(BTW, these are the same reasons why the Senate Rs keep electing McConnell.)

I do worry though that she is blocking the way for younger Ds to get good at leadership. Getting good at something requires making mistakes, and I’d imagine that House Ds will be very risk-averse during the next two years.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Pelosi. Let's hope. Her husband is the key to her success. $$$$$$$$$$.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Creepy Adam Schiff.
Nope. That would cause an uproar. He doesn't check any of the identity boxes.

I say Pelosi.

I look forward to see how Ms. Waters handles any additional responsibilities.

I think she'll be entertaining but not really accomplish much other than theatrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.