Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 12:59 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times

Advertisements

Thoughts, prayers, yadda yadda yadda, wash, rinse repeat.

What a sad state of affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:01 PM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Of course he lived with his mother who didn't know what to do with her boy who wouldn't get help. The neighbors knew he was troubled. His ex roommate said he was a weird loner. Same old story.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:02 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...ays/ar-BBPuaKR

This year we've had 307 mass shootings in 311 days. That's a 98.7% rate per days of the year that we have a mass shooting. There are 53 days left in this year. That means we more than likely will have 52 more mass shootings before the year is out.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:07 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We will always have criminals. No matter how harsh the punishment, some people think they are smarter than everyone else and will get away with it, some don't care, some (not as many), are not that bothered by prison because it's better than where they live right now. So they take a chance. That will never stop no matter how many new laws anyone wants to write.

The very first thing that we must do in this country is to stop whispering about mental illness and get serious about it. In almost every single shooting lately, there were signs that something wasn't right. In this instance, when police were called to the guy's house for disturbance of the peace or whatever it was, they stated that they questioned if he might have a mental illness.

We cannot convict someone before anything happens just because they have a mental illness.

We cannot force people into treatment for a suspicion that they might have a mental illness if they've not committed a crime.

We also need to stop with the way we talk about mental illness. I liken it to how people talked about cancer in the olden days, going around whispering, "she has the cancer", and everyone repelling from the person.

We have got to figure something out about mental illness. It seems that more and more people legitimately have one, (meaning, not the ones who claim that they do like it's a badge of honor - that needs to stop, as well), and it's not going to go away by ignoring it, or saying, "Oh, look, he had a mental illness, that explains it. Anyway, moving on to the next story."

We never address it, fully. We never try to come up with any type of solution. Instead, we sit here and talk about their gender, their race, their political leanings, inanimate objects that do not act on their own. People seem to still be extremely uncomfortable with addressing the problem of mental illness.

What do we do...I don't have the answers to that, but it has got to be addressed, seriously.

I'm of the thought that if you willingly go out and start shooting at people, whether you're diagnosed mentally ill, you're disgruntled, you just don't care - you've got something wrong with you in your brain.

Every law in the book, and every new law that is pushed will never address that problem. Registering is not going to solve that problem. We have too many people who are mentally ill and either don't know it, or refuse to seek help.

None of these laws get to the root of the problem. Even banning every single firearm in this country, (not going to happen anyway), would not stop the problem of mental illness and mass killings. Implying, or outright stating, that doing away with guns will do away with mass casualties, is not addressing reality. You don't need a gun to kill a lot of people all at once - so how about we start addressing the real fricken problem.

Mental illness is not something that someone can control on their own. Mental illness is not something you can turn on and off. It affects how you think. It affects how you react. It affects your decisions.

For the hopeless, who see killing as no big deal, who don't value life at all, society needs a serious overhaul. It's time to start pushing that life is to be respected. So many people, all over the world, put no value on life at all. It doesn't mean anything to them, and they don't care about anyone elses life, either.

We find some way to work on those 2 things, and while we won't ever be able to get everyone to see life as valuable, we won't get every mentally ill person the treatment that they need, it will be a step in the right direction. I just don't know what the solution is.
Agree about mental illness. However, the idea that common sense gun laws won't be part of the solution is not addressing reality. The "solution" will require multiple components. None of which is likely to happen as far as I can tell. You may have an interest in finding a solution but a lot of people just don't care. They simply have other priorities (political, personal) which are more important than preventing future mass shootings.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:09 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Typical leftist philosophy: "I care about you so I'll save you by controlling you." Sorry but I'm fairly familiar with history so I know how that B.S. tends to play out.
What history? Please enlighten us.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:12 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTWGA View Post
The cops backed off but said it was terrorist. We will see, have you noticed they are not saying what race the shooter was. Its like they are side stepping. If he was white it would be plastered on bill boards by now.
This post didn't age well.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:13 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Dozens of armed drunks in a bar shooting at other armed drunks not knowing who the bad guy is. Brilliant!
What could go wrong??

Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I suppose it depends on the person for I am is an arms mistress and guns are a big part of my life for that is my profession, that is one of my qualifications. If I am employed because of my marksmanship skills, for example, I am not expected to miss.

The level of intensity of the tool with the skill is like that of me being a professional diver.

Finally, of course, I do not trust this belief of a government always to be benevolent and always to have the best interest of its people at heart, I do not trust them to put people before money; therefore, I do not want to be defenseless in their eyes.
How many people that own guns make a living using those guns? Not many.

IF the government came after you their firepower will far surpass yours or any civilians. I get it, it makes some people feel better that they can take up arms against the government, but in reality those people would not be very effective against a tank, or helicopter, or missile, or bomb, or drone.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:19 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Just terrible! if we're serious about putting a small dent in gun crime, we need to eradicate the 2nd amendment and every gun in America, otherwise every solution is meaningless. The fight against gun crime is exactly the same with drugs. How are we doing with drugs?

Be glad humans have a very short attention span; this will all be forgotten in just a couple weeks.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
How many billion is spent in defense each year 600 billion or so? We can't take 10% of that budget and properly look after our vets. Disgraceful.
But the air force NEEEEEEEEEDS those $1200.00 coffee cups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies