Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 05:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,589 posts, read 16,568,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
SO you see them every day and they say something racist to you at work but you don't report them to HR? lol
I didnt say work.

I simply said I see people like that everyday. I went to school with some who were racist, and i can say I previously worked with some like that as well. Same with customers.

I also do some charity events with people who I would label racist and have told them so. (obviously i dont pick who volunteers at charity events)

Quote:
As a Republican in the 'Deep South', I would never talk to a liberal about politics at work because I wouldn't be surprised if they smeared me as a racist to HR.
My response to this post is

1. talk to reasonable people.
2. dont say racist things.

Quote:
I've talked to Republican friends in South Carolina and they say they will never admit they voted for Trump while at work because they are afraid of liberals going crazy
I can believe this, but I see it the other way as well, white people who are scared to say they voted for Hillary or Obama.

Quote:
So Republicans are the majority in SC but yet we have to live in the closet regarding our politics.
I think many people follow the general rule to leave politics out of church and work.

Quote:
It seem like at least 50 percent of liberal Democrats are like Jussie Smollet to one degree.
Not sure why you believe that.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:12 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,417,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I didnt say work.

I simply said I see people like that everyday. I went to school with some who were racist, and i can say I previously worked with some like that as well. Same with customers.

I also do some charity events with people who I would label racist and have told them so. (obviously i dont pick who volunteers at charity events)

My response to this post is

1. talk to reasonable people.
2. dont say racist things.

I can believe this, but I see it the other way as well, white people who are scared to say they voted for Hillary or Obama.

I think many people follow the general rule to leave politics out of church and work.

Not sure why you believe that.

I think it is because people on the left are falsely accusing Republicans of racism... It is a get out the minority vote strategy.

In 2012, Joe Biden told a black audience that Romney wanted to 'put ya'll back in chains'. In 2016, he attended Romney's ideas summit and encouraged Romney to run for the Senate. So there are two options here. Biden never believed Romney was a racist and only made a false accusation of racism to race bait. Or Biden had no problem with white racists being in government as long as Biden wasn't running against them.

the Big Switch theory is a Jussie Smollet type of hoax because they are so many data points that contradict the theory yet Democrats still push it.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I think it is because people on the left are falsely accusing Republicans of racism... It is a get out the minority vote strategy.
I think some people on the right genuinely dont think what they say is racist, when in reality it is.

Quote:
In 2012, Joe Biden told a black audience that Romney wanted to 'put ya'll back in chains'. In 2016, he attended Romney's ideas summit and encouraged Romney to run for the Senate. So there are two options here. Biden never believed Romney was a racist and only made a false accusation of racism to race bait. Or Biden had no problem with white racists being in government as long as Biden wasn't running against them.
actually, the context of the quote was a Mitt Romney comment where he said he wanted to "Unchain Wall Street and the banks"

Quote:
the Big Switch theory is a Jussie Smollet type of hoax because they are so many data points that contradict the theory yet Democrats still push it.
But you didnt contradict the theory, in fact, you dont even disagree with it, you just disagree with why they changed. So your analogy doesnt make sense.

Jussie Smollett was a hoax, where at best you are arguing different reasoning, not that the events didnt happen.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I think some people on the right genuinely dont think what they say is racist, when in reality it is.

actually, the context of the quote was a Mitt Romney comment where he said he wanted to "Unchain Wall Street and the banks"

But you didnt contradict the theory, in fact, you dont even disagree with it, you just disagree with why they changed. So your analogy doesnt make sense.

Jussie Smollett was a hoax, where at best you are arguing different reasoning, not that the events didnt happen.
The Big Switch theory is about switching because of racism. It is not about switching for any reason.

Only 2 of the segregationist politicians switched. It doesn't make sense to believe segregationist voters switched en bloc to GOP if only two segregationist politicians did.

does anybody think the Democrat party could win in the south today if it pushed white racism.... I think they would lose by wider margins.

Biden was clearly race baiting which is especially interesting when you look at some statements he has made in the past regarding race.

Somebody in the media made a joke the other day that if there was a statue of Biden, many liberals would want to tear it down .

Old 04-27-2019, 06:46 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,758,926 times
liberals when it comes to white men in politics:

"white men need to just sit back and let us handle things. we don't want to hear from them. they've had their turn."

liberals when white men say they don't care and don't vote:

"not everyone is as privileged as you where we can afford to not vote."

no self respecting white man is a democrat. sorry, but that's just the facts. the same goes for people of color when it comes to republicans.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,495,228 times
1. There an element of racism in Southern Whites leaving Democrat Party for supporting Civil Rights.

2. Southern Whites have always been very leery of all federal govt programs which didn't mesh well with the post New Deal Democrats who favored a very expansive reach of govt to solve problems.

3. Northern Whites also have a history of racism. Lynchings of Blacks occurred as far north as Duluth Minnesota. NYC had anti Black riots that left many Blacks dead. Decades later Black cemeteries were frequently plundered for use by White NYC medical students. Yet Northern Whites remained Democrat.

Racism was part of the switch but not the only reason.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
1. There an element of racism in Southern Whites leaving Democrat Party for supporting Civil Rights.

2. Southern Whites have always been very leery of all federal govt programs which didn't mesh well with the post New Deal Democrats who favored a very expansive reach of govt to solve problems.

3. Northern Whites also have a history of racism. Lynchings of Blacks occurred as far north as Duluth Minnesota. NYC had anti Black riots that left many Blacks dead. Decades later Black cemeteries were frequently plundered for use by White NYC medical students. Yet Northern Whites remained Democrat.

Racism was part of the switch but not the only reason.
This makes no sense given FDR won 95 plus percent in southern states. You cannot disassociate white racism from fiscal liberalism. If you read speeches by Ben Pitchfork Tillman, a racist Democrat governor, you will notice that he sounds like typical modern Democrat not like a Ronald Reagan on economic matters.

Moreover, it was the Republicans who pushed the civil rights legislation, not Democrats. Your theory hinges on the idea that white racists would hold the Democrats more responsbile for civil rights than the GOP. That makes no sense.

Democrat senators, Robert Byrd and Al Gore's father, filibustered the Civil RIghts Act of 1964. Wouldn't white racists notice that.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no self respecting white man is a democrat. sorry, but that's just the facts. the same goes for people of color when it comes to republicans.
Those sound like opinions not facts.

Why can't 'people of color' respect themselves and be Republican.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
The Big Switch theory is about switching because of racism. It is not about switching for any reason.

Only 2 of the segregationist politicians switched. It doesn't make sense to believe segregationist voters switched en bloc to GOP if only two segregationist politicians did.
No, far more than 2 politicians who were segregationists switched parties . I think you are conflating a previous post i disproved that had the caveat of "in office as senators", which was a bigger argument about you and the OP only counting people who were in national office, forgetting the many state senators, representatives, AG's , mayors and people not in office at all who one day would be party leaders, again I posted a link that listed hundreds of people.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Moreover, it was the Republicans who pushed the civil rights legislation, not Democrats.

See, this is where you go off the deep end .

Civil Rights was clearly pushed for by Democrats. It takes 2 seconds to google who controlled congress, who introduced the bills, and who signed them into law.

Democrats did all of that.

Again 2 things can be true.

Statement One: Some Democrats(a majority ) supported and championed civil rights( 46 in the senate, 151 in the House)
Statement Two: Some Democrats( a minority specifically in the south), were against it. (21 int eh senate, 96 in the House)

the CRA of 64 was introduced by Emanuel Celler D–NY, and signed into law by Lyndon B. Johnson , President D-TX.

Are you not capable of understanding this ?

Or just not capable of having an honest conversation ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.