Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

Even the so called "flushable" wipes aren't, it's a marketing ploy and misleading.

Really though, some nations' toilet standards/customs need updating. Bidets should the norm. Or even the smart toilet seats popular in Japan. Using only TP seems almost barbaric after using these other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 01:57 AM

579 posts, read 368,166 times
Instead of banning baby wipes, why not ban the flushing of baby wipes? Yeah, I know, the cops aren't in your bathroom, but it would help to ban the advertising of so-called "flushable" baby wipes, and require a warning label on the package that says "DO NOT FLUSH DOWN THE TOILET".

It really irritates me when government identifies a problem and then goes way overboard trying to solve it.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Countdown to Brave New World's arrival with 41,356.2 links on the topic!
I don't have that many links ATX.

In terms of wet wipes, what the UK Government actually said earlier this year was that it planned to "eliminate" wet wipes in the UK within next decades.

So there is no legislation planned in the immediate future, however there are many more biodegradable wet wipe options these days.

The problem with traditional non-biodegradable wipes is that they don't naturally break down and use plastic, is that they are a major cause of fatbergs in the sewer system and they also contiminate the seas and oceans. Encouraging people not to flush them down the toilet may also be a good strategy, as the cause 93% of sewage blockages in the UK.

Wet wipes could face wipe-out in plastic clean-up - BBC News

This is not really that big a deal, the aim is to ban them within 25 years and even if they were banned we will just use the biodegradable wipes option instead.

It's the same with other products such as straws ad manufaturers themselves are now increasingly looking at biodegradable options.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-14-2018 at 04:59 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This is exactly why the vast majority of the developed world uses a bidet. Try traveling outside of America, doing your duty, and use a bidet. The difference in cleanliness is substantial and you don't even need to use a baby wipe. You also use about 10x less TP as well because of how well modern bidets work. Americans pride themselves on being clean; it's mind boggling that bidets really haven't caught on here.
Lol. I spend quite a bit of time outside of the U.S. I know what a bidet is.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:51 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What's nuts is thinking you can just keep throwing infinite amounts of non- biodegradable garbage into sewers, landfill, oceans and waterways.
Quote:
...many wet wipes are mistakenly flushed down the toilet after use. Since they do not break down, they clump and congeal with cooking grease and other discarded items, and as a result, clog the world's sewer systems. These so-called "fatbergs" are not only revolting, they clog and break pipelines, and are difficult and costly to remove. New York City officials told The New York Times that the city has spent more than $18 million from 2010-2015 on wipe-related equipment problems.
How about reading the article?
I actually get this, which is why I use BIODEGRADABLE dog poop bags. They're a little more expensive (not too bad, I buy them by the 500 bag roll) and somewhat flimsy because they have to be in order to be biodegradable, BUT they do the job. There's no way in hell I'm injecting even more plastic into the environment, garbage landfills, etc.

As to the wet wipes? Just do the same and make them all biodegradable. An additional possibility is to provide an easy to use earth-friendly disposal method.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
tampons and panty liners are much worse.
Plastic tampon applicators are a HUGE no-no. They last forever in the environment. Please do NOT use tampons that have plastic applicators. Panty liners with plastic barriers? Same thing. Please do NOT use them. Look for earth-friendly alternatives.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This is exactly why the vast majority of the developed world uses a bidet. Try traveling outside of America, doing your duty, and use a bidet. The difference in cleanliness is substantial and you don't even need to use a baby wipe. You also use about 10x less TP as well because of how well modern bidets work. Americans pride themselves on being clean; it's mind boggling that bidets really haven't caught on here.
100% correct!

Old 11-14-2018, 05:08 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Default Educate People

Why it is so necessary to teach people about "sewer systems" ? ....."BECAUSE".... they are not designed for things that don't break down in water, including things that are non toxic, non oil based and etc. Old medication does not belong in the toilet either.

The Waste Water Management Systems was not designed for the type things people are willing to throw in the toilet.

Education May be a better option to try... because sadly, there is much ignorance in the world about what it takes to make a civic and civil community of city.

Maybe a quick manual or early education that emphasis "how to live in a civil and civic society of city and community".
We assume people know... but fact is, when young people who can barely take care of themselves have babies, there is much they don't know and it translates over into how they groomed and train the child, or in some cases how they don't groom and train the child.

Growing up in the country was a great teacher about respecting the environment, and respecting people and animals and how to take care. Otherwise, "waste" would have overtaken the place. Not just material waste, but social waste of inability to get along with other and inability to effectively communicate. Living in a city requires a basic standard of education!!!!!

We as the civil and civic societies of the world, should not only improve public education, "we should mandate it" with penalty if one does not complete the 12 yrs if they are mentally and physically able to do so. Uneducated society, becomes a big challenge to the systems in a civil and civic society.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
This is what happens when you only have one working political ideology. There's nobody to say "hey maybe we should ease up on this a bit". Banning baby wipes? Really? They are going to have a lot of stinky babies and diaper rashes. People are too lazy nowadays to go back to the more labor intensive methods used in the past.

https://www.ecowatch.com/wet-wipes-b...566716761.html

Where my mom lives here in America the plumbers have had to come out twice this year to her building and unclog the pipes due to an elderly gentleman who lives upstairs and insists on flushing large amounts of these wipes. One of the workers told my mom unclogging these wipes is a big part of their workload.

At the very least they should have something on the label saying do not flush them.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Plastic tampon applicators are a HUGE no-no. They last forever in the environment. Please do NOT use tampons that have plastic applicators. Panty liners with plastic barriers? Same thing. Please do NOT use them. Look for earth-friendly alternatives.

I can't jive being against abortion and encouraging people to use unreliable biodegradable condoms at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Where my mom lives here in America the plumbers have had to come out twice this year to her building and unclog the pipes due to an elderly gentleman who lives upstairs and insists on flushing large amounts of these wipes. One of the workers told my mom unclogging these wipes is a big part of their workload.

At the very least they should have something on the label saying do not flush them.

DO NOT FLUSH

They should make an After School Special about it. Put signs up in all public buildings. And the landlord or HOA of your mother's building should add a surcharge for the plumbing repair for the old guy who insists on flushing those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies