Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:36 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times

Advertisements

And surprise surprise, right wing dems attack her:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status...73814481416193

What these people don't understand is people with political power are not on your side, they are part of the system that wants to keep power over others.

Popular activism is how things are accomplished, not voting in a democrat and supporting them no matter what they do. That is how we got Libya, Corporate healthcare, and the Bank bailouts.

Popular activism, not playing the 'game' is how change is enacted.

edit: oh, btw, Rashida Tlaib was there to so credit to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 06:40 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Disagree. Gandi did pretty well at affecting social change. You don't have to ram your foot down someone else's throat to bring about change. All that does is start revolts, revolutions, and civil wars.

It's all about withdrawing consent, not any sort of activist revolt.

And as far as Cortez, I'm sorry, she's an embarrassment. You guys on the left lauded Obama's "well spoken" demeanor. And while I didn't agree with much of anything he actually did, I will admit that he was generally fairly well spoken and presented himself in a dignified manner most of the time. Cortez on the other hand presents herself as something between a Muppet, a four year old girl, and a valley girl. She just doesn't seem very smart or mature at all. AT LEAST Obama had those two qualities, even if I didn't agree with what he said or did. I don't know what it is with this "little girl" thing the left has going on lately. Ford was another example of a "little girl" persona. You really think that is appealing overall?

Honestly, I LOATHE Pelosi. Hate the woman. But her intellect could run rings around Cortez. Pelosi could eat Cortez alive in a debate.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Disagree. Gandi did pretty well at affecting social change. You don't have to ram your foot down someone else's throat to bring about change. All that does is start revolts, revolutions, and civil wars.

And as far as Cortez, I'm sorry, she's an embarrassment. You guys on the left lauded Obama's "well spoken" demeanor. And while I didn't agree with much of anything he actually did, I will admit that he was generally fairly well spoken and presented himself in a dignified manner most of the time. Cortez on the other hand presents herself as something between a Muppet and a four year old girl. She just doesn't seem very smart or mature at all. AT LEAST Obama had those two qualities, even if I didn't agree with what he said or did. i don't know what it is with this "little girl" thing the left has going on lately. Ford was another example of a "little girl" persona. You really think that is appealing overall?

Honestly, I LOATHE Pelosi. Hate the woman. But her intellect could run rings around Cortez. Pelosi could eat Cortez alive in a debate.

Yeah but she pisses you righties off something fierce. That makes her alright in my book.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:

And as far as Cortez, I'm sorry, she's an embarrassment. You guys on the left lauded Obama's "well spoken" demeanor. And while I didn't agree with much of anything he actually did, I will admit that he was generally fairly well spoken and presented himself in a dignified manner most of the time. Cortez on the other hand presents herself as something between a Muppet and a four year old girl. She just doesn't seem very smart or mature at all. AT LEAST Obama had those two qualities, even if I didn't agree with what he said or did. i don't know what it is with this "little girl" thing the left has going on lately. Ford was another example of a "little girl" persona. You really think that is appealing overall?
I don't care about your last paragraph.

For the former parts, that's my point. It has nothing to do with violence, but popular dissent is how changes is enacted in a forms.

Gandhi had allies within the British colonial rulers, but he did not support them and let them handle the fight, he promoted popular activism.

Same with MLK, the women movement, the abolition movement, and the workers movement in the late 1800s.

I political leader may be pressured to pass positive bills in support of these movements, but they came from the bottom up.

Democrats today love their political leaders like Obama and Nancy without realizing they have to force them to be good or they will support the status quo as they are expected to. Democrats could have stopped the drone war or the bank bailouts if they learned activism wasn't just rallying behind your party leaders.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah but she pisses you righties off something fierce. That makes her alright in my book.
Not me. I can barely keep from rolling my eyes and laughing at the woman every time she opens her mouth. The cookie monster would have been a better choice.

Now, Pelosi does pizz me off. But at least she has a brain.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don't care about your last paragraph.

For the former parts, that's my point. It has nothing to do with violence, but popular dissent is how changes is enacted in a forms.

Gandhi had allies within the British colonial rulers, but he did not support them and let them handle the fight, he promoted popular activism.

Same with MLK, the women movement, the abolition movement, and the workers movement in the late 1800s.

I political leader may be pressured to pass positive bills in support of these movements, but they came from the bottom up.

Democrats today love their political leaders like Obama and Nancy without realizing they have to force them to be good or they will support the status quo as they are expected to. Democrats could have stopped the drone war or the bank bailouts if they learned activism wasn't just rallying behind your party leaders.
But a lot of those movements revolved around violence. And it was often directed at those who had nothing at all to do with the problem, which to me, is just terrorism with new lipstick.

Only my opinion, but social change in whatever flavor you want to talk about, would best be brought about by an entire population of Henry David Thoreau(s). You can't put an entire nation in jail. Simply refuse to comply en mass. That would bring the entire system to a screeching halt. (if, of course, that were the intent)

Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
This is why Cortez will be up against a heavily funded opponent and smear campaign next time she enters the primaries.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
But a lot of those movements revolved around violence. And it was often directed at those who had nothing at all to do with the problem, which to me, is just terrorism with new lipstick.

Only my opinion, but social change in whatever flavor you want to talk about, would best be brought about by an entire population of Henry David Thoreau(s). You can't put an entire nation in jail. Simply refuse to comply en mass. That would bring the entire system to a screeching halt. (if, of course, that were the intent)
The difference between violent protests and Gandhi is pretty wide.

Anyways all of them are popular movements that support economic and social change. Change has never come and never will come from the people in power, as by the nature of their power radical change is a threat to them.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is why Cortez will be up against a heavily funded opponent and smear campaign next time she enters the primaries.
Hopefully. Because I think you guys can do better than that. She's just not very bright at all. Most of the time she comes off as being clueless and dingy. I think the appeal is a pretty face. Nothing else it could be.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just wait till some of the ‘democrats’ come on this thread and say AOC needs to grow up and support the party establishment.

The concept that the Dems and republicans are on the same side is foreign to them, despite slight differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies