Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Nancy Pelosi be the next Speaker of the House?
Yes 61 71.76%
No 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Just imagine, Trump and Pence come down with some horrible flu, and get hospitalized. We could have President Pelosi for a bit. Id love this even for a day. Imagine the right wing going nutso over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I think you mean the Speaker's first words will be "Mushroom Donald, let's see those tax returns! Here's a subpoena."

Alright!
Why do people keep saying this? They don't have to issue a subpoena. Just submit a letter asking for them as laid out in law. No court order needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 03:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Republicans ought to get enough votes to push her over the 218 margin.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:41 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Some Republicans mentioned to vote for her if she agrees to certain conditions. So we would have:
1. Toxic Nancy as speaker
2. Pelosi agreeing to certain GOP demands

THE WINNING NEVER STOPS!!!
Yes, Speaker will have to work with Senate president in order to get anything done. That means compromising. I wonder why you think that's a bad thing, but oh well.

Also, it's not uncommon for an incoming new majority party to grumble about and even resist the old leadership. And for the new minority party to vent some of their loser's frustration by holding out the possibility that they might vote for one of the majority party's candidates. Pelosi's played this game before. So has McConnell.

I think the most likely outcome is that the House leadership, including Pelosi, will sit down with the upstarts and cut deals. And enough deals will be cut that Pelosi will be re-elected Speaker. (In case you're wondering, the coin of the realm here is usually an individual freshman's committee preferences.)

My big problem with re-electing Pelosi? She's extremely good at her job, and too often that means not enough future leaders in the pipeline are getting to learn what they need to learn.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-14-2018 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 04:48 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
I think the GOP wants her. I think she will get in.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think the most likely outcome is that the House leadership, including Pelosi, will sit down with the upstarts and cut deals. And enough deals will be cut that Pelosi will be re-elected Speaker.

My big problem with re-electing Pelosi? She's extremely good at her job, and too often that means not enough future leaders in the pipeline are getting to learn what they need to learn.
Agreed on both counts.

Lots of talk about reps in the Dem caucus say they won't support Pelosi, but then who is the rival or alternative? Don't see anyone coming forward. Tim Ryan? He had nothing last time.

The problem is that the seniority system pretty much means a lot of really veteran legislators stay in their committee chairmanships for decades, which can discourage some younger ones who feel their progress is blocked, so at some point, they'll quit and go run for the Senate or take up a state wide position, such as governor. So perhaps a way forward is to have Pelosi (and Hoyer and Clyburn) transition out their positions to tap on some younger reps into committee chairs. They could do it like the GOP - with term limits on committee chairmanships. That's how Ryan (47 years old, yet a veteran) and McCarthy (in his early 50s ) got senior positions.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think the GOP wants her. I think she will get in.
Theoretically possible. But not likely. The usual scenario is for the minority party to run its own candidate, and for the vote to be strictly party line. It's usually the first demonstration/test of party discipline for the newcomers.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Why doesn't she just retire ? !

She certainly doesn't need the money, she is aging, craves attention and cannot get enough notoriety and face time on television. In other words …. she has a few screws loose. Go home Nancy.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

She certainly doesn't need the money, she is aging, craves attention and cannot get enough notoriety and face time on television. In other words …. she has a few screws loose. Go home Nancy.
She likes her job. And the people who elect her like the job she's doing.

Not sure why you think your opinion should govern her actions.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
EVERY Republican should vote for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!
Uhh no thanks, I got a box of rocks that's smarter than her.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

The only way you're going to have any leverage on her is to move to her district - San Francisco, be one of her constituents, and try to vote her out. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies