Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:02 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Money -- meaning liquid assets, be it bank deposits, bonds or equities (stock) -- represents a store of value, Equities are vulnerable due to the fluctuations of the market; bonds and banknotes are vulnerable to inflation -- the disease (politicians running the printing press to cover debts with fiat money) , as opposed to the symptom (rising prices).

In short, sound money, conservatively managed, is the antidote to political power.

Amazon stock (which has never paid regular dividends) is high-priced because of speculative interest; its recent $1500-$1750 price is backed by only about $75 per share in real assets (property and inventory).

Speculative interest is fueled by the belief that Amazon is here to stay as a dominant player; (of course it helps if the shareholder expects to be here for a long time; which is why it's a better holding for pension funds, and institutional (colleges, hospitals, even cemeteries) endowments,

General Electric, OTOH, has a long history of regular dividends, but it has fallen upon hard times, in no small part because many of its products -- jet engines, locomotives, wind turbines -- are vulnerable to shifts in the business cycle which, in turn, is affected by politics.

GE's Board of Directors recently had to "bite the bullet' and cut the regular quarterly divided ; the stock has a book value 0fmoly about $3.60/share, and trades for about $8.25.

Is Amazon likely to maintain that high price? I don't think so, but a number of high-fliers (McDonalds, to name one) have turned into steady dividend-generators as they matured.

Is GE likely to go bankrupt? I doubt it, but restoring the high share prices of ten years ago probably calls for sound management rather than political influence-peddling.

And political partisans such as the one posting above are the last people I would go to for investment advice.

No one is offering investment advice here except for you.

You seemed to have posted in the wrong forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Limousine liberals

Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
No one is offering investment advice here except for you.

You seemed to have posted in the wrong forum.
I'm not offering investment advice; I'm just presenting facts -- as opposed to the economic ignorance, self-serving class hatred, and outright lies, peddled in this forum every day by a well-organized clique of trolls.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
The title should be

US Politicians: The Rich Elite

There are many rich GOP leaders. You can find many of them in the current administration if they weren't fired or resigned already.
Maybe, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:41 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm not offering investment advice; I'm just presenting facts -- as opposed to the economic ignorance, self-serving class hatred, and outright lies, peddled in this forum every day by a well-organized clique of trolls.
No. Your post is not facts, it's opinion (aka advice). You said AMZN is overvalued, which may or may not turn out to be the case, but it is an opinion. There is absolutely no factual hard line on what is "overvalued." You also said you don't think AMZN will maintain its price, which is about as non-fact as it gets.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
If rich liberals care about the poor more, why do blue cities have the highest rates of poverty and inequality?
They don't. Of course there are exceptions like San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York. The cost of living and in particular of housing limit to a large extent who can live there. Don't believe me, here you go take a look at the poorest cities in the US https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...ties/37821209/

Last edited by 2sleepy; 11-15-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 02:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is nothing wrong with being rich. But Dems like to portray themselves as the party of the people, not the rich. Maybe that's why the news media ignores the fact that Dems frequently vote for wealthy people.
------------
Maybe it's time to rebrand the Democrats as the party of the rich.

This month saw the election of Jay Robert "J.B." Pritzker as governor of Illinois. Pritzker, an heir to the Hyatt hotel fortune, is worth an estimated $3.2 billion, and spent $171.5 million to get himself elected, according to Money magazine.

Another winner was Edward M. "Ned" Lamont Jr., in the Connecticut governor's race. Lamont, an heir to the J.P. Morgan banking fortune of his great-grandfather Thomas Lamont, estimated his assets in 2006 at between $90 million and $300 million, and showed reporters tax returns last month with income totaling $18 million over 5 years.

Wow can you imagine having all that money? oh well, I'm just the little guy who gets stuck paying for all their blunders because they try playing God

Old 11-15-2018, 03:13 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And the Republicans are the other part of the reason America has an underclass.
But poor people of color don't vote Republican.

So Demorctas, and Democrats a lone are responsible for the inequality of their own constituents.

If I blindly vote for 1 party and and I'm still poor, clearly something is going wrong.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
But poor people of color don't vote Republican.

So Demorctas, and Democrats a lone are responsible for the inequality of their own constituents.

If I blindly vote for 1 party and and I'm still poor, clearly something is going wrong.
Most middle and upper-class black, other minorities or women don't vote GOP. Look at the 2019 GOP Congress class photo. That photo symbolizes the makeup of the GOP, mostly rich old white men. It is what it is.

Party has little to do with being poor, try the history of slavery, discrimination, and oppression.

Voting GOP isn't going to make anyone rich. It makes the 1% richer. Hard work, education, equal opportunity and access to resources is the path.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:44 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
No. Your post is not facts, it's opinion (aka advice). You said AMZN is overvalued, which may or may not turn out to be the case, but it is an opinion. There is absolutely no factual hard line on what is "overvalued." You also said you don't think AMZN will maintain its price, which is about as non-fact as it gets.
Get your facts straight; I didn't say Amazon was overvalued, or overbought; I only pointed out that shares selling at twenty times their book value, (let alone their current earnings) usually take a substantial hit at some future point where lofty expectations come back down to earth. It's like trying to get into into a rising elevator that's already at the 100th floor.

https://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/pe_ratio

"Buy low; sell high." (Bernard Baruch)

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-15-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies