Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 03:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Apparently the way it has been *recommended* to him, left him little space to wiggle out of it.
Otherwise I wouldn't be even mentioning it.
Well, I mean, I didn't want to take Geology either but it was *recommended*.

I didn't have a meltdown about it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 03:31 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,651 times
Quote:
Apparently the way it has been *recommended* to him, left him little space to wiggle out of it.
Otherwise I wouldn't be even mentioning it.
Happens all the time. When I was an engineering student at a major university, lib arts programs saw us as cash cows for their programs so humanities courses were a requirement - including upper level courses. There was plenty of incentive for lib arts to require extra courses to reach upper level credits.

Apparently, current students are being "recommended" into particular ethnic, gender studies courses. General lib arts classes are being closed out early or they are not allowed to register without interviews. Significant portion of engineering students opt now to take lib arts classes at another college or online.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Happens all the time. When I was an engineering student at a major university, lib arts programs saw us as cash cows for their programs so humanities courses were a requirement - including upper level courses. There was plenty of incentive for lib arts to require extra courses to reach upper level credits.

Apparently, current students are being "recommended" into particular ethnic, gender studies courses. General lib arts classes are being closed out early or they are not allowed to register without interviews. Significant portion of engineering students opt now to take lib arts classes at another college or online.
This is interesting because that hasn't been my engineering student's experience at all. Core curriculum (gen ed) included the required Math and Writing courses. Two courses in the category of Physical and Biological Sciences were fulfilled with two Physics for Engineers courses, one of which was fulfilled with high school AP Physics. Six Arts & Humanities credits were required, and my engineering student took Theater, which she enjoys, so it was an obvious choice, plus a Philosophy course in logic. For Social and Behavioral Sciences, I believe she had credit for taking AP Human Geography in high school. For Historical Perspectives, she will take a course called Natural Resources History and Policy, which is definitely relevant for her planned career path. For Global and Cultural Awareness, she will take Global Environmental Issues, also relevant for her planned career path. Everything else in her degree program is directly related to her engineering focus. I don't think any of that is an undue burden on STEM students pursuing a Bachelor's degree.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-25-2018 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Uhhmm.. right, he "didn't feel sufficiently motivated to pursue an alternative," but I guess he will still have plenty of choices down the road, such as

Hmong Americans
Language, Power, and Inequality
Women in the U.S. Economy
Multicultural Education
Understanding Human Differences
Multicultural Literature of the United States
Literature of Black America
African American Authors
Introduction to Ethnic and Racial Studies
Introduction to Wisconsin Indians
Ethnic America
Latinos in the United States: 1450-2000
History of Jazz Culture
Multicultural Philosophy in the United States
Women and Politics
Culture and Mental Health
Psychology of Women
Changing the Culture: Women in Science
Sociology of Race and Ethnicity
Introduction to English Language Learners and Advocacy
Gender, Race and Class in American Institutions
Women's Diversity: Race, Class, and Culture
Are people really going into debt to study this? There is may be 10-20 jobs across America that would require this knowledge.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:03 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:

Well... sorry for a good laugh.

You know, I have nothing against liberal arts per se - I see a value of say... learning the history of theater/cinema, some classical literature or the ABCs of philosophy for example. This is the higher education after all.
But what I see here as given choices, falls into the category of indoctrination more than anything else in my opinion.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Are people really going into debt to study this? There is may be 10-20 jobs across America that would require this knowledge.
Well that's why it looks more like indoctrination of the tech majors than anything else.
As I've said...

Old 11-25-2018, 04:09 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,983 times
Quote:
Well that's why it looks more like indoctrination of the tech majors than anything else.
As I've said...
TIL that some people think that having well-rounded engineers whom can compete at a global level are “indoctrinated”.

Some people are far too ignorant to realize that culture and engineering are highly, highly intertwined.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This is interesting because that hasn't been my engineering student's experience at all. Core curriculum (gen ed) included the required Math and Writing courses. Two courses in the category of Physical and Biological Sciences were fulfilled with two Physics for Engineers courses, one of which was fulfilled with high school AP Physics. Six Arts & Humanities credits were required, and my engineering student took Theater, which she enjoys, so it was an obvious choice, plus a Philosophy course in logic. For Social and Behavioral Sciences, I believe she had credit for taking AP Human Geography in high school. For Historical Perspectives, she will take a course called Natural Resources History and Policy, which is definitely relevant for her planned career path. For Global and Cultural Awareness, she will take Global Environmental Issues, also relevant for her planned career path. Everything else in her degree path is directly related to her engineering focus. I don't think any of that is an undue burden on STEM students pursuing a Bachelor's degree.
My requirement in ABET accredited program was 18 credits lib arts of which 6 had to be upper. To get the 6 upper you had to take enough pre reqs that you ended up with 23-24 credits lib arts total. You were constantly pushed to declare a minor. No business courses allowed. No foreign language courses allowed.

The current credit requirement is the same, but courses are no longer, music appreciation, literature survey courses, or history courses, but ethnic and gender studies - foreign engineering students are directed to womens studies courses and US born students to ethnic studies courses. Absolutely no business courses or foreign language courses allowed. The foreign language list was apparently left off by mistake and suddenly there was swath of enrollment in business-useful language courses - Chinese, Japanese (presumably).

Old 11-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
TIL that some people think that having well-rounded engineers whom can compete at a global level are “indoctrinated”.

Some people are far too ignorant to realize that culture and engineering are highly, highly intertwined.
Define "well-rounded."

Old 11-25-2018, 04:18 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,983 times
Quote:
Define "well-rounded."
As in not having solely learned textbook-engineering practices; which is to say they should be competent writers and have a basic understanding of foreign cultures and history, as they’re competing in a global economy (and oftentimes designing products for foreign markets, consumers and cultures).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies